TAD new release?

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
Looks like a smaller version of the ref one with 8" woofers rather than 10". I wonder what's the MSRP?

INTERESTING! Looks like the Evolution 1 but in Sapele-Pomele finish like the Ref1 and CR-1. It's not even on the TAD website yet (just checked).

Specs are better than the Evolution 1 (low frequency extension point of 25 versus 28, etc...); where did you get this?

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I like this better than the CR-1 but it seems pointless unless the price is much lower than the R1, and it could be as bass cabs are often the most expensive part of a speaker.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
I like this better than the CR-1 but it seems pointless unless the price is much lower than the R1, and it could be as bass cabs are often the most expensive part of a speaker.

At initial glance the cabinet doesn't look much different than the Evolution 1 which is MSRP 30K I believe. My gut say MSRP $60K.

Stereophonic

Jun 9, 2013
Spain
I think that is a very interesting speaker.
Taking the Cr1 an adding a woofer to do it a loudspeaker is great option to those who can't afford or place the Ref one's.
That way the Reference line is more complete with a new speaker that improve the bass response of the CR1's.
Ultimately TAD is very focused on the evolution range and the Reference line needs products like this and a reference Dac too.

Last edited:

leyenda

Mar 2, 2011
Looking great. Strangely enough I preferred cr1 to ref1 based on numerous listening sessions. If this new speaker has cr1 magic with depper bass, it sure can be a winner.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
This looks like more of a potential competitor to the Magico S5 MkII than the CR-1 does. It will be interesting to see if it is also priced competitively to that speaker.

knghifi

Dec 6, 2014
These looks like my E1 but with R1 drivers and cabinet. E1 shares R1 tweeter but smaller mid (also magnesium instead of beryllium) and bass drivers.

If ever upgrade, no immediate step but going to R1. For now, adding 2 REL G1 MK2 subs to compensate the bass.

Stereophonic

Jun 9, 2013
Spain
These looks like my E1 but with R1 drivers and cabinet. E1 shares R1 tweeter but smaller mid (also magnesium instead of beryllium) and bass drivers.

If ever upgrade, no immediate step but going to R1. For now, adding 2 REL G1 MK2 subs to compensate the bass.
I went to the CR1's for the beryllium medium drive. The difference is notable. Anyway i remember the Evolutions with more bass punch. Not as articulate but more present and more easy to drive speaker.
Cr1 is another concept.
That new model would be a no brainer to me. I haven't enought space to place the Ref1's.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing