Active versus Passive Isolation Platforms for turntables

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ked, no Rives type input
Just textbook application of Rockwool and Kingspan over 2500 sq ft plan area of flrs and eaves, and further investment in GIKs
Peter was in installing the repaired NATs and tt/cart and was struck how much more neutral and expressive the new space was, high praise coming from someone who's opinion I rate
And he's spent a small fortune on his new room too
About half the $80k bill went into the acoustic side of things

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ked, no Rives type input
Just textbook application of Rockwool and Kingspan over 2500 sq ft plan area of flrs and eaves, and further investment in GIKs
Peter was in installing the repaired NATs and tt/cart and was struck how much more neutral and expressive the new space was, high praise coming from someone who's opinion I rate

So now you have put serious Rockwool and GIKs? You might as well get an acoustician to optimize it if you have spent so much, the delta spend will be much less than the added benefit you would get. Don’t tell him ho wmuch you spent else he will charge you too much.

What did the rest 40k go in, apart from power and cables?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
£60k total spend, £40k on structural engineer/a ton of steel/new walls, flrs, access/thermal insuln
The rest, £20k on acoustic isoln and damping of flrs and eaves
2500 sq ft is a LOT of area to treat
Ked, if anything my room is now a tad overdamped, which may reflect in my analog top end being on the smooth side
Going to remove the GIKs and test the difference
I'm not minded to investigate further at this point
W a flexy 18x60 suspended timber flr, my priority is to see if tt needs bulletproof passive or active isoln
Room concerns can wait, the upstick I've got so far is beyond anything I could have hoped for

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Anyhow, getting back to this thread
I'm going to do my best to facilitate this 3 way comparison of Stacore Adv pneumatic springs passive v Minus K BM-8 mechanical spring passive v Kuraka piezo electric active
I'll need to secure a rock solid Rogoz 3 tier stand for the demo, and an 18kg additional weight to take the Minus K up to its upper optimal weight
I have to say in my brief abortive attempt to use the Minus K, I found it unbelievably fussy re weight distribution, not once situating my assymetrically loaded tt on it w'out the platform going out of adjustment
I remain pretty biased against it
But will start anew in a few months
Where's that upgrade budget when you need it?

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Ked, no Rives type input

Do you use the Kingspan foam insulated panels for sound or just for thermal isolation?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Both if memory serves

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing