Amplitude and Time, how difficult can it be ?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Probably he is referring to Soulution:

"From the input the soulution 711 first buffers the music signal. A high performance correction amplifier is then used to capture and correct any deviations in the signal, very quickly and very precisely. Ultra wideband amplification using no feedback loops follows, a less than 10 nanosecond transit time and level accuracy to within 0.1dB ensuring signal purity."

I think he is referring to a speaker manufacturer and probably one who does electronics given the comment about Wilson ONLY doing speakers...
Hi Peter, no I'm not referring to that speaker [WAMM] as I have not heard it (and thus, cannot comment on the results of the design)...However, I do find it encouraging that the company in question is (within their own limits as purely a speaker manufacturer only) taking the matter of time distortion seriously, but I don't think that the methods they are employing can be 100% perfect....

The manufacturer that I am concerned about produces an entire range of speakers that are perfectly aligned for frequency, amplitude, phase and time - from their tiny little 'desktop' model to their huge award-winning and iconic flagship model.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
I am also going to guess Rob Sonata is recommending Goldmund...but i am also randomly guessing that given Rob's profile he is [possibly] Rob of Sonata Audio? Goldmund, Linn, but also a number others.

I apologize if I have guessed wrong, but as many of here have noted...Rob has kept the suspense running so it was only natural to try for a guess.

I also note this from Sonata Audio's website:

"...Unfortunately, all audio equipment creates unnatural time delays for different frequencies, which your brain recognises as unreal.

Only Goldmund speaker systems produce the most time coherent audio possible and that’s the reason why it instantly sounds more natural...."

Thanks for the potential light and clarity LL21... so with respect then this could then just all be a commercially motivated thread then. This makes the positioning of it perhaps more understandable. Rob's original post felt not completely transparent in its nature so if there was other agenda riding below the surface statement I can get his position a bit better. I think it would be a bit sad if this was the case though. If Rob is selling the brand/brands that he is referring to without making that clear. Would be good to get Rob to address this as the op seemed to ignore the essential reality that while all aspects of audio are not as yet perfected and that clearly temporal coherence is a fundamental issue (among the many possible issues to be addressed in design) that it is not news, reasonably apparent and seems to be have been a goal addressed at reasonable level broadly both in understanding in our community and also as part of design in industry. At the risk of getting caught in the temporal drama it does perhaps seem like there's a boy crying wolf in the middle of a storm in my teacup. I feel better knowing the problem just kinda isn't.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Thanks for the potential light and clarity LL21... so with respect then this could then just all be a commercially motivated thread then. This makes the positioning of it perhaps more understandable. Rob's original post felt not completely transparent in its nature so if there was other agenda riding below the surface statement I can get his position a bit better. I think it would be a bit sad if this was the case though. If Rob is selling the brand/brands that he is referring to without making that clear. Would be good to get Rob to address this as the op seemed to ignore the essential reality that while all aspects of audio are not as yet perfected and that clearly temporal coherence is a fundamental issue (among the many possible issues to be addressed in design) that it is not news, reasonably apparent and seems to be have been a goal addressed at reasonable level broadly both in understanding in our community and also as part of design in industry. At the risk of getting caught in the temporal drama it does perhaps seem like there's a boy crying wolf in the middle of a storm in my teacup. I feel better knowing the problem just kinda isn't.

I have sent a PM to Rob reminding him of our TOS where all those involved must divilge their industry affiliation in their signature line. While WBF does encourage our dealers who have industry affiliation to discuss their product openly here I must admit that Sound of Tao has summed up this thread reasonably correct

Stacore

Industry Expert
Feb 23, 2017
Gdańsk, Poland
stacore.pl
As mentioned, I know of one manufacturer that produces amplifiers that have a few nano-seconds of delay between the lowest frequency and the highest frequencies in the audible bandwidth.

Rob, I totally agree on the importance of phase errors, but what makes you think our brains are able to detect few-ns delays?

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing