Roger Waters Releases First New Album In 25 Years

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I don't hate Roger Waters, I just don't care for much (i.e., hardly any) of the music he has done outside of Pink Floyd. The fact that his concerts from the last 20 or so years consist almost entirely of material from The Wall and earlier suggests that his expected audience feels similarly.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello gentlemen, political discussion is not allowed on this board. Let this post serve as formal warning to all parties involved that any further political talk will result in administrative action. Please, let's just stick to the topic of the thread. Thank you.

Tom

Hi-FiGuy

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2015
I don't hate Roger Waters, I just don't care for much (i.e., hardly any) of the music he has done outside of Pink Floyd. The fact that his concerts from the last 20 or so years consist almost entirely of material from The Wall and earlier suggests that his expected audience feels similarly.

You sir win the Internet for a day!

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Yep! He's been milking The Wall for all it's worth.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada

Don't care, the anti-Semitic A$$HOLE!
david

That's all he's been doing for nearly 3 decades, F@CK Him!
just an example,
http://www.timesofisrael.com/roger-waters-attacks-israel-trump-at-california-concert/
david

Awesome Steve. Will be first in line (Amazon) to buy.
Never realized there is so much hatred around RW.
Not a healthy emotion.
Simple solution. Don't listen to RW. :cool:
PS: Have no position regarding the two state solution so please no attacks. Have chosen to ignore that political quagmire. Thank you.

Yep! He's been milking The Wall for all it's worth.

Roger is a bit of a "Dick" as evidenced by the rest of his band mates from Pink Floyd not playing with him after the breakup.

I'm going to share some about Roger Waters...

First, I am quoting only some of our varied opinion. When Steve started this thread, I didn't know about Waters' latest album; so I was first excited about it.
Because, I have some good quality music recordings from this ex-Pink Floyd's member on CDs, DVDs and Blu-rays. The music I like.

But when David replied (couple quotes above), that's when I started researching deeper. I didn't know before David's comments. And he was supported by Christian too.
I've read several articles on the internet, I spent few hours learning more about Roger Waters' views.

The other day I started posting in this thread, after I learned more. And then I decided to delete that post.

It's very true that Roger Waters is a "Wall" guy for many many years, and it's get very boring after more than three decades.
Good musicians are explorers of new frontiers, new music, IMO

And Roger's views; I certainly don't agree with him on some of them. They simply don't fit my bill of clean health and balance in this world.
I won't go there, but I certainly understand much more today than yesterday, thanks to David and its supporters.
Simply put my views are different than Roger Waters' views. Today I am a more knowledgeable person, and more appreciative on a better balanced listening state of mind when spinning Waters' music...if ever again. I feel almost to flush down the toilet all the music I got of him @ home, or throw it all on the bonfire of my backyard's lawn.
I won't be that radical, but the thought is certainly there. My eyes and mind are much more open now.

I agree with David, I agree with Christian, I agree with John, I agree with many many others.

Thank you David to put me on the higher step of knowledge, because before your replies here in this thread I was basically ignorant of Waters' few outspoken point of views.
I won't post any links from my new discoveries because one it's easy for anyone to search like I did, and two it is beyond the wall.
Anything over the wall with Roger Waters should stay there because that's the only thing he's good @. I disagree with his views on history, humanity, religion, political motivation, financial resolution, brief I disagree immensely on the things he said, preach and do.

I'll listen to David Gilmour's 'On an Island' instead, and "wall" (hell) with Roger Waters.

Everything above is my opinion today and mine only. But I always keep an open mind, perhaps the guy will change for the best...
And, before all of this, there used to be a time, during the Pink Floyd years, when all of us were much happier of their music together spinning on our turntables.
_______

P.S. Am I the only one who didn't know about Roger Waters? Because before David's short comments I simply love some of his music.
I'd have to listen again to hear with my heart if it still resonates the same. Because, to be aware of the musician's deeper soul is part of the musical journey too...I believe.

P.P.S. I've read freekin' horrible stuff about some of Roger's views. And if I was part of his band I would say screw your money; you can throw it all on your wall.

That's it, I have no more to say...for now. And when comes May 19, the release date of his new album, screw it, I won't buy it. I'm free, I don't have to listen to him anymore, to his music, to his anti this and that, I'm breaking free of his boring and lamenting and painful everlasting wall.
I think Roger Waters need some help of solid people...who's he to judge others like you would like to be judged yourself?

Click! No deletion this time.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I think the issue is zionosm.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
My oh my.

A full blown psych analysis that appears to be a consensus. I try to not psycho analyze music.

I apologize that I haven't driven down to the depth you all have.

And I have no intention of doing so. I like his music and have pre-ordered the CD.

And this does not mean I am biased against any religion or whatever. Not.

To repeat. Lots of apparent hatred, Care to discuss rap?

Don't buy the flipping CD.

Carry on gentlemen.

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
I'm going to share some about Roger Waters...

First, I am quoting only some of our varied opinion. When Steve started this thread, I didn't know about Waters' latest album; so I was first excited about it.
Because, I have some good quality music recordings from this ex-Pink Floyd's member on CDs, DVDs and Blu-rays. The music I like.

But when David replied (couple quotes above), that's when I started researching deeper. I didn't know before David's comments. And he was supported by Christian too.
I've read several articles on the internet, I spent few hours learning more about Roger Waters' views.

The other day I started posting in this thread, after I learned more. And then I decided to delete that post.

It's very true that Roger Waters is a "Wall" guy for many many years, and it's get very boring after more than three decades.
Good musicians are explorers of new frontiers, new music, IMO

And Roger's views; I certainly don't agree with him on some of them. They simply don't fit my bill of clean health and balance in this world.
I won't go there, but I certainly understand much more today than yesterday, thanks to David and its supporters.
Simply put my views are different than Roger Waters' views. Today I am a more knowledgeable person, and more appreciative on a better balanced listening state of mind when spinning Waters' music...if ever again. I feel almost to flush down the toilet all the music I got of him @ home, or throw it all on the bonfire of my backyard's lawn.
I won't be that radical, but the thought is certainly there. My eyes and mind are much more open now.

I agree with David, I agree with Christian, I agree with John, I agree with many many others.

Thank you David to put me on the higher step of knowledge, because before your replies here in this thread I was basically ignorant of Waters' few outspoken point of views.
I won't post any links from my new discoveries because one it's easy for anyone to search like I did, and two it is beyond the wall.
Anything over the wall with Roger Waters should stay there because that's the only thing he's good @. I disagree with his views on history, humanity, religion, political motivation, financial resolution, brief I disagree immensely on the things he said, preach and do.

I'll listen to David Gilmour's 'On an Island' instead, and "wall" (hell) with Roger Waters.

Everything above is my opinion today and mine only. But I always keep an open mind, perhaps the guy will change for the best...
And, before all of this, there used to be a time, during the Pink Floyd years, when all of us were much happier of their music together spinning on our turntables.
_______

P.S. Am I the only one who didn't know about Roger Waters? Because before David's short comments I simply love some of his music.
I'd have to listen again to hear with my heart if it still resonates the same. Because, to be aware of the musician's deeper soul is part of the musical journey too...I believe.

P.P.S. I've read freekin' horrible stuff about some of Roger's views. And if I was part of his band I would say screw your money; you can throw it all on your wall.

That's it, I have no more to say...for now. And when comes May 19, the release date of his new album, screw it, I won't buy it. I'm free, I don't have to listen to him anymore, to his music, to his anti this and that, I'm breaking free of his boring and lamenting and painful everlasting wall.
I think Roger Waters need some help of solid people...who's he to judge others like you would like to be judged yourself?

Click! No deletion this time.

Great post. FWIW I'm not sure why the mandate to curb personal comments about Waters. We're discussing art, are we not permitted to post our thoughts especially if not disparaging one another? I say lighten up and let the thoughts flow....

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
I saw a flame the other night
It was just over the horizon
Atop the mountain taking flight
A cloud of fire and sun

I didn't know it was possible
I had to double check
But here it was like a bubble
In full view from the deck

I saw a flying star in the sky
Bright as a lighted cigarette
She fell from above the night
Descending fast until we met

There wasn't one sound in view
Only the echo of a heartbeat
And the crescendo seen by few
In the distant flame of the heat

I saw a woman prophet
She spoke from her eyes
In solid rhythm all set
It resonated standing by
______

We born, we learn to live, we live to learn, we say good bye, we die
Is this the life we really want
We open our eyes and our hearts
We hear the songs of the children
Only of the children who will never grow old
Because they won't make it beyond the wall
______

We cannot stop what can't be stopped
We cannot change what cannot be changed
We can only be aware of our repeated failures
In the hope it will all end soon enough

I had a dream last night
I was sailing in slow motion
The waves and the winds
Moving like crystals and diamonds

Is this the dream we really want

Skylab

May 14, 2016
Chicagoland
I have, for over 20 years, thought of myself more as a "Gilmour fan" than a "Waters fan", and in fact I still very much do. But when I saw that Waters was playing in Chicago at the United Center, which is an easy 20 minute drive for me, I decided to go this summer. As such, I sure HOPE that his new solo album is good, although I haven't liked anything he has sone outside Pink Floyd, so I don't have too much hope. But he said he plans 25% of this summer's show to be material from it, so I will get to experience it live.

I saw Gilmour at the UC last summer, and it was an absolutely terrific show. I rather like his album of last year, Rattle That Lock, and he and his band played the classic Floyd stuff incredibly well.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Waters is also ramping up to a new tour, dubbed Us + Them after a song on Dark Side. "It'll be a mixture of stuff from my long career, stuff from my years with Pink Floyd, some new things," he said in a statement. "Probably 75 percent of it will be old material and 25 percent will be new, but it will be all connected by a general theme. It'll be spectacular like all my shows have been."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...ew-lp-is-this-the-life-we-really-want-w467479

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Well, I made it through my first and last listen to this album. Not so much bad as boooorring, although I wouldn't argue with someone who described it as bad. I hope no one buys it without hearing it first.

Skylab

May 14, 2016
Chicagoland
Well I downloaded it earlier today from HDTracks...going to play it tonight. Kinda have to get to know at least 5 tracks, since I'm seeing Roger live in 6 weeks or so.

Skylab

May 14, 2016
Chicagoland
So I just finished playing Roger Waters new album all the way through. I bought the 48/24 hi-res version on HD Tracks. The sonics are excellent. But musically...well...I was hoping for better. It's just not that compelling. It has moments, and I liked the last trio of songs that are essentially one piece the best. But as much as I wanted to really like it, I don't. It's not terrible, but it's not great. Or even very good. It's just Ok. Oh well. The concert of his I'm seeing this summer will still be awesome.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Waters' concerts over the last 20 yrs or so have been consistently good, but I doubt his own post-Wall material has accounted for even 10% of the music.

Unbelievably squashed dynamics on this album, kind of like Radiohead's :(

APP

Oct 1, 2014
Hello gentlemen, political discussion is not allowed on this board. Let this post serve as formal warning to all parties involved that any further political talk will result in administrative action. Please, let's just stick to the topic of the thread. Thank you.

Tom

+1 Let's talk about music.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing