Rockport Arrakis (fully-upgraded by Andy) For Sale on Audiogon

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
image.jpg

I just talked to the seller. This is a very interesting and unusual opportunity for someone who has always wanted these amazing speakers.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Agree...i have had Arrakis on my list for many years. Not at the moment, but certainly a great opportunity for someone.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPKG57NHJic&index=16&list=PLUSAizRwwkwGX3IN9ZMuMmKiHcGwUCh7Y

Is this the seller with a little bit altered room , now with. sub .
Lloyd you should be able to hear what I design at one time , could fit your bill , although its not an established brand off course .:)
The Arrakis downside is that they were hard to drive (bi amped), but the upgrade might have solved that (somewhat ), I ve seen not much specs on the net.

Ps I wish I had a room like that. :p. check out those doorhandles

Last edited:

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
What hasn't been on your list for many years?

Actually, the list of potential upgrades i'd like to audition seriously and consider someday is very short and has been for many years:

- AN DAC 5th Element
- Aries Cerat Kassandra

- Rockport Arrakis
- Genesis Dragons just too large

- Gryphon Mephisto
- CJ GAT Series 2

I've been blessed to have been able to cross off pretty much the rest of the list (by procuring them 2nd hand/demo) over the last several years. Even certain purchases (Gryphon and Transparent Cabling) were made years ago consciously knowing someday i might look at taking down an Arrakis.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPKG57NHJic&index=16&list=PLUSAizRwwkwGX3IN9ZMuMmKiHcGwUCh7Y

Is this the seller with a little bit altered room , now with. sub .
Lloyd you should be able to hear what I design at one time , could fit your bill , although its not an established brand off course .:)
The Arrakis downside is that they were hard to drive (bi amped), but the upgrade might have solved that (somewhat ), I ve seen not much specs on the net.

Ps I wish I had a room like that. :p. check out those doorhandles

Thanks...no, the video is an owner in Taiwan i think...he now has 2 sets of mono Mephistos. The seller is an American i believe. Yes, i have heard that even the current Arrakis really reacts well to/needs a lot of power...the dealer in HK has dual mono siegfried's so financially and real estate wise...its a big commitment. I have spoken with Andy Payor about driving the Arrakis (passive) with a single Colosseum, and he confirmed it can definitely be run well with it, but its all academic for now unless and until i am ready to step up and really consider going for it.

Yes, would be fun to hear your speaker...Ron had great things to say about it.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
And I would love to hear the Arrakis at one time ,i had a lot of doubt myself about side firing woofers , but I doubt I would change it ever.
You get a very balanced / not in your face kinda bass .
Plus it keeps the front baffle compact , giving you a spatial sound .
Kinda like going from a spatial minimonitor to a full orchestra sound If needed, which is what a large full range speaker is all about

Ps If you re ever in Amsterdam you re welcome , although I need to treat my room more.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
And I would love to hear the Arrakis at one time ,i had a lot of doubt myself about side firing woofers , but I doubt I would change it ever.
You get a very balanced / not in your face kinda bass .
Plus it keeps the front baffle compact , giving you a spatial sound .
Kinda like going from a spatial minimonitor to a full orchestra sound If needed, which is what a large full range speaker is all about

Ps If you re ever in Amsterdam you re welcome , although I need to treat my room more

Thank you...that would be a great opportunity to listen to them...i have enjoyed watching your designs over the last few years. Meanwhile, I have heard the ones in HK...and they confirm for me their position as on 'the list'. they are probably 1 of 2 speakers i can confidently say if the price and time were right, i'd just immediately upgrade over the X1s and not look back.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
PS. . before I get comments , I know there are different ways to skin a cat .;)
Evolution acoustics for example has taken great care to reduce baffle width where ever possible .
By immediately sloping backwards for improved diffraction /dispersion.
Rockport does essentially the same

Last edited:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I have heard at length Arrakis twice and I love them.

VSA VR-11SE Mk II and Arrakis are my favorite dynamic driver speakers. (I have heard Gryphon Kodos only at a show demo but I am very confident they would be the third member of that list.)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
great stuff, Ron...where did you hear them twice, again? Cannot remember. What was the rest of the system? Always curious to see what Arrakis owners are doing to drive their speakers.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
If the speakers are $235.000 in retail, there is ZERO chance they will sell at $170.000, or close to that. $100.000 or even less, is more likely.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
$100k?
C'mon Lloyd, we're all rooting for you at this price!
Make it happen LOL

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
If the speakers are $235.000 in retail, there is ZERO chance they will sell at $170.000, or close to that. $100.000 or even less, is more likely.

Totally agree. He should start at 50& of list to even generate initial interest.

But what do I know.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I think it would be more interesting what the term " fully upgraded" consists of .
If the whole speaker is virtually just been brought up to latest specs then it would make more sense .

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Totally agree. He should start at 50& of list to even generate initial interest.

But what do I know.

Sometimes I think in a really twisted way. Here's an example. I actually think the pricing makes sense. If it is fully updated Arrakis then one gets the benefit of burned in drivers PLUS whatever upgrade that was BIG PLUS, you still get a hefty discount especially since that price strongly implies "haggling accepted here". Strange right? It's like either he doesn't know any better or it may actually be more thought out after all.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Jack and Henk Jan are very warm.

I talked to the seller for quite a while. Based on the particulars of this situation I am confident that at $150,000 or so this is a unique opportunity.

Dude and elberoth - instead of making assumptions feel free to call the seller and learn the facts.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
Dude and elberoth - instead of making stuff up feel free to call the seller and learn the facts.

Well excuse the hell out of me. I was posting "an opinion" only.

And I also said "what do I know". There was a reason for that "qualifier".

Have a problem with that?

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Sometimes I think in a really twisted way. Here's an example. I actually think the pricing makes sense. If it is fully updated Arrakis then one gets the benefit of burned in drivers PLUS whatever upgrade that was BIG PLUS, you still get a hefty discount especially since that price strongly implies "haggling accepted here". Strange right? It's like either he doesn't know any better or it may actually be more thought out after all.

the $170k price is about marketing both this used set, and current new sets, not present value. present value is based on the street price of a new set of Arrakis listing for $235k.....and an adjustment from that based on condition, age and difference compared to current new spec.

for instance, it may have some of the newest parts, but maybe not everything the same as new.

any buyer for this pair will be talking to Andy first about a new pair. so it's all based on how that goes.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
the $170k price is about marketing both this used set, and current new sets, not present value. present value is based on the street price of a new set of Arrakis listing for $235k.....and an adjustment from that based on condition, age and difference compared to current new spec.

for instance, it may have some of the newest parts, but maybe not everything the same as new.

any buyer for this pair will be talking to Andy first about a new pair. so it's all based on how that goes.

I tend to agree. My first thought when I saw the ad today was that they are overpriced. I'll be surprised if they sell for anything over $150K. I'm thinking the strike price would be somewhere around $125K

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing