Peripheral ring clamp or Classic aluminum platter

tdh888

Nov 4, 2010
Philippines
Hi ,

Im trying to decide w/c upgrade should I purchase first since my budget at this time permits only one upgrade? I currently have a VPI TNT 4 upgraded to TNT6 status (Kuzma Stogi Ref+Koetsu Rosewood Sig).

Thanks ,

tdh888

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Hi ,

Im trying to decide w/c upgrade should I purchase first since my budget at this time permits only one upgrade? I currently have a VPI TNT 4 upgraded to TNT6 status (Kuzma Stogi Ref+Koetsu Rosewood Sig).

Thanks ,

tdh888

What platter are you currently using on your TNT?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Good question. If it was a TNT 4 then it was probably the white acrylic platter. My experience with my TNT HRX was that the acrylic platter (translucent white) was livelier and had some accents in the highs. With the Delrin(?)/Aluminum Super Platter, the bass was fuller but a tiny bit less articulate and the highs were a bit softened. I've not seen the new classic platters. So IMO only, changing platters would depend on what sound you are shooting for.

The Stogi Ref is a good arm that handles mildly warped LPs with ease. The periphery ring with the matching heavy clamp however works magic on LPs that are badly warped but can't be replaced. I have enough of these to have warranted my purchase way back when. As for using it on LPs in good condition, with all honesty I can't say the differences, if any, were all too audible, then again that might be because I'm OC when it comes to leveling the rack, the plinth and the armboard.

Ideally I would recommend you get both but I suppose only you can determine which is of greater priority.

Have fun!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Hi ,

Thanks ,

tdh888

To my ears, it's hands down the platter. Ring makes some difference; Al Classic platter transforms the table's sound. Only time the Classic platter might not work is in a bright, edgy system. Otherwise, it's far more dynamic, better low end response, more transparent, etc. Now I don't know why but this platter took at least a week or two to settle in. Normally, it'll take a platter a couple of days for the bearings surfaces to wear in among other things, but the Classic platter took forever. You also have a choice of a paper, some sort of rubber or not mat at all. I preferred no mat at all the best , closely followed by the paper and finally the "rubber type" mat. The latter mat might work better in a brighter system--and you'll have to adjust VTA/SRA with the thicker mat.

tdh888

Nov 4, 2010
Philippines

tdh888

Nov 4, 2010
Philippines
To Myles and JackD201,

Thanks for your recommendations.

tdh888

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
To Myles and JackD201,

Thanks for your recommendations.

tdh888

One other thing to remember. If you go the platter route, will need to raise the arm about 1/4 inch since the new platter is slightly taller. Only saying that you can check that arm has that adjustment range!

tdh888

Nov 4, 2010
Philippines
One other thing to remember. If you go the platter route, will need to raise the arm about 1/4 inch since the new platter is slightly taller. Only saying that you can check that arm has that adjustment range!

Thanks Myles,

I will keep this in mind.Im sure the Kuzma (has a wide adjustment range , discovered it when it was mounted in my HW 19MK4 w/c has a standard and not the optional 1 inch thick armboard)can still be raised 1/4inch maybe more.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing