Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
I believe the Sonorus machines come from Arian Jansen. I was quite impressed by one of his machines a few years ago, when I heard one that Philip O'Handlon had. Not sure if it was this same model. He essential builds a new machine using some key Studer parts. Larry

Fiddle Faddle

Aug 7, 2015
Australia
I believe the Sonorus machines come from Arian Jansen. I was quite impressed by one of his machines a few years ago, when I heard one that Philip O'Handlon had. Not sure if it was this same model. He essential builds a new machine using some key Studer parts. Larry

So would those Studer parts be new (old stock) parts? If that is the case, wouldn't this be the first wholly new R2R on the market, since the others that I am aware of are all re-builds (yes, significant with massive modifications) of existing decks such as Technics? I personally don't count the Studer parts as discounting this from being a brand new from the ground up deck if that is the case - since if you take high end CD players, for example, they are going to use all sorts of third party parts including the transport itself, for example (e.g dCS).

PS: I like the fact that the deck comes already with some "audiophile" tweaks, such as the silicon rings around the valves. It really looks nice inside - high quality everything, well laid out.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Being based on the Revox PR-99, looking inside and also seeing a tube output stage and wireless remote, there are not many parts that are original Revox. This is basically the same thing that UHA does with a different chassis.

Interesting discussion here: http://www.tapeheads.net/showthread.php?t=23179

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area

gadawg58

Apr 7, 2018
Older thread I know but I had a chance to hear the newer version recently (ATR10 mkII) and was thoroughly impressed. Had a chance to hear the same music on that and a Select DAC and everyone in the room preferred the R2R. Seriously thinking about buying one! Been a long time since I did anything with tape though ...

George

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Older thread I know but I had a chance to hear the newer version recently (ATR10 mkII) and was thoroughly impressed. Had a chance to hear the same music on that and a Select DAC and everyone in the room preferred the R2R. Seriously thinking about buying one! Been a long time since I did anything with tape though ...

George
What type was being played?

gadawg58

Apr 7, 2018
What type was being played?
If you're asking what type of music it was Dire Straits On Every Street that Sonorus had put through their SHI mastering process. The demo system consisted of the VAC Statement Pre and Statement 452 mono's with VSA speakers ... I think the Ultra 7's if I'm not mistaken. The MSB Select was fed by an Aurender N30SA. Not sure which cabling was in use or which audio stands. My caveat with what I heard was that since the recording on the tape had been put through their SHI (Sonic Holography Imaging) recording process I'm not sure that the comparison is apples to apple ... pretty sure its not actually ... but it did sound amazing either way.

I'll be trying the Statement system at home at the end of November which I'm really looking forward to! Might see if I can get the tape deck home at the same time.

George

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I'll be trying the Statement system at home at the end of November which I'm really looking forward to!
I think Kevin's VAC Statement electronics are wonderful!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing