Purchasing my first sub woofer

lowendhifi

Mar 2, 2017
Looking to complement some new Focal Aria 905's in a small living room for HT and music listening. Sadly I don't have a big budget for a sub woofer. Though even on a budget, I am wanting quality over quantity. I'd like to end up with a unit that will let me nicely blend with the Arias when music listening and maybe provide an occasional attention grab when watching films. Living with no sub, most any sub should bring a sizable difference to tunes played in the house regardless of what I end up with, since my current bookshelf speakers (Celestion 5's) go down to just 70hz (now you know I am old!) Here are my contenders so far:

REL T/5i
JL Audio Dominion d108
Definitive Tech. SuperCube 4000 (wicked good sale going on right now)
and after reading some posts here, one more consideration, if I stretch the budget, the Rythmikaudio L22 (the servo aspect is intriguing, with perhaps some complexity that is out of my old man comfort zone).

I read conflicting info about connecting/not connecting mains to a sub woofer (REL suggests its the way to go and you can do so in tandem with the LFE connection from an AV receiver. Their subs claim to manage the signals and also best blend with the mains connected in this manner.) And then other info out there says that mains connected direct is completely the wrong way to hook up a sub, period. I'm not sure if that talk is just manufacture smack down or based on old technology or even new changes in technology. Perhaps there are so many variables in play: overall equipment, room size, reflective & absorptive material in the space, the music I like, the fact that I've had some hearing loss over the years and how many dogs and cats live in the house, etc. that it's rock paper scissors at this level of choice?

I pose my first post on this forum to the kind, considerate & serious audiophile enthusiasts out there that perhaps can recall back to a time when their budget was $600 - $800 for a low end sub and can share their thoughts if my choices are in center field or completely off in left field (as far as sub woofer choices go that is - as far as anything else rattling around in my brain, I'm sure you'd vote I'm off in left field). I value all insight shared and in the big picture, I've got a spouse letting me deal with a mild mid-life crisis through acquiring some new audio gear, so regardless of what I end up with, life is good and I'll be sure to share how it all ends up.
Cheers and thanks for reading and responding!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Good luck with your selection...look like solid speakers which is a nice start. If you are ok with Audiogon, https://www.audiogon.com/listings/s...bwoofer-2017-02-19-home-theater-79738-gail-tx, they have some interesting options in your price range.

In terms of blending subs, given that you are focused on music and home theater...i say go for it. Take your time. I personally like running the main speakers in PARALLEL (ie, full range), and then try to get your sub UP a bit to match them. At a specified 52hz-60hz frequency for your 905s, you can try to get a good sub to blend into that range by running it in parallel and cutting off its performance at a variety of frequency ranges (say, from 80hz downwards) and see how you like the blend.

I have run subs with my speakers since 1993...starting with Celestion SL6si bookshelves to SF Guarneris (also small stand-mounted monitors)...and I was very very happy to do so.

Focal also have subs which you can consider...i have enjoyed using Velodyne's for many years...you are probably better of getting as good a sub as you can find...but then really taking your time on set up...that is placement and the finetuning of the sub settings in order to get that blend right. You will probably find more benefits in the setup than in the differences between a handful of high quality subs that you consider. Set up is critical.

Hope that helps...enjoy!

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
If you're buying NEW, the Definitive Technology products are a very good value.

If you're buying used, check Audiogon for good deals where you can get good components at a fraction (NOT necessarily cheap) of the retail price.

lowendhifi

Mar 2, 2017
There are sub by Focal

Focal does have one sub that is small in size, but a bit on the pricey side for what it delivers at least in specifications. A larger one they offer looks impressive, yet is way beyond my budget. Thank you for responding and putting the idea of a matching Focal sub into the mix of my considerations. It seems more bang for the buck may be had with the subs from companies that making sub woofers is primarily their bread and butter.

Best Regards.

Barry

Member Sponsor
Jan 7, 2012
Somewhere near Philadelphia, USA
I really like the Rythmik Audio offers as their build quality and flexibility (crossover frequency, phase controls, power etc.) is outstanding for the price. Save some money and buy the sealed L12 with the 300 watt amplifier for $539.

Find some articles on setting up subwoofers and read them. The Focal specs say they are -3dB down at 60Hz so you'll have more luck crossing your monitor signal over to the subs slightly above that Hz point if you want a flat and smooth frequency response. Running mains and subs in parallel full range won't relieve your monitors of some of the bass duty so you won't get lower distortion. I don't see any advantage to that. Try both the 12 & 24 dB slopes and the line-in and LFE inputs (latter might be better - look at the graphs). Start sub placement somewhere between the Focals and not too far away. You know you're finished when you don't hear the subs stand out in any way and do not feel the need to constantly have to adjust their volume level.

Great project. Have fun!

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Rhythmic is hard to compete with for reasonable amounts of money. In fact I mod their amps for people to get them into a high echelon of performance.

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
Look at the SVS range too ..I have used them and they offer fantastic value for money

For your budget you can get the 2000 series in either sealed or ported box..I suggest the sealed units for size

https://www.svsound.com/pages/subwoofers#2000-series

I'm a big fan of SVS subs. I've had many of their products in four different residences and all performed well. And their after sales service and support is outstanding.

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
Rhythmic is hard to compete with for reasonable amounts of money. In fact I mod their amps for people to get them into a high echelon of performance.

Do you have a webpage where you describe what mods you make? I have two Rythmik HX800XLR3 amps. I am wondering what you do to them, and what the benefit is.

lowendhifi

Mar 2, 2017
Thanks for all the super input. I actually look forward to doing all the tweaking once I get a sub woofer in the house. The hard part will be convincing my spouse to move about the furnishings to accommodate my yearnings to get the best sound possible happening.

lowendhifi

Mar 2, 2017
There does seem a lot to like with Definitive Technology at the price point at I am looking to spend. The fact that even the entry level subs are manufactured in the US is certainly unique about their company's offerings as well. Thanks for your kind input.

lowendhifi

Mar 2, 2017
It is good to hear that what seems to be a marketing dominating company in the world of sub woofers is also nicely regarded in the actual sound they provide. Oddly enough, after just posting my question to the forum did I find the SVS product at my price point. The SB-2000 at $700 looks very appealing. I also being drawn to the SB-1000 for just $500 (thinking I can put the extra $200 towards a low end upscale CD player!) (though I can appreciate vinyl, at this stage of my life I won't start down that collection road). I get the feel that a sealed box sub fits my way of how I like to hear low frequencies in general - really low is OK, but always tight and quick - without rattle. (Anything that reminds me of cars with booming bass oozing out from the windows is a big turn off for me.) You got to admit, for the money, SVS, with a policy of free shipping, try it for 45 days and then SVS pays for the return shipping - that's a pretty risk free way to test out a sub woofer in one's home IMHO. I'd value your input if you think the 1000 series would be too entry level (or rather is the extra $200 worth it for the 2000 series). I do find it odd that the 2000 series has only RCA inputs and not high level speaker terminal connection inputs like the 1000 series. I am a bit puzzled why the more upscale model has less variety on making speaker connections. Maybe my overall understanding is a bit lacking on the connections available?
1000 instructions
https://system.na1.netsuite.com/cor...Ze0qK&cktime=131840&cart=59510&gc=clear&ext=F
2000 instructions:
https://system.na1.netsuite.com/cor...YGsnD&cktime=131798&cart=61847&gc=clear&ext=F
And thanks for all your input!

Last edited:

lowendhifi

Mar 2, 2017
Thanks for the input. It's nice to know the company SVS product's have a wide, global following. I very well may pull the trigger on a SVS sub and try it out. It felt good buying my Focals from a local dealer, but the return mail order policy with SVS is hard to beat. Please feel free to comment on my previous reply about the speaker connections on the 1000 series versus the 2000 series of the SVS SB product line. Surfing off the coast of your beautiful country is on my bucket list! Cheers!

Rodney Gold

Jan 29, 2014
Cape Town South Africa
I have used sb13 ultras , the sb 12nxd (old 2000) and have heard the 1000's
My advice is to stretch it a bit , and get 2 1000's.. I was most impressed with the twin 1000 setup I heard , failing that get a single 2000.
I suggest 2 subs for a few reasons .. extra heft over one , they are both working less ..less distortion
With 2 or more subs you can also cancel out a lot of the room modes smoothing the bass

VITAL to get the best sound is to integrate it properly in your system .. placement , level , crossover , delays etc must be correct ..

SVS delivers plenty bang for buck .. I was using 4 of the SB13 ultras in my setup ... prior to that 4 x sb12's

lowendhifi

Mar 2, 2017

I would love to be at a listening level of equipment and gear to make use of your equipment modification services someday! Thanks for your kind input!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing