Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
Don't know if I've ever heard/seen a reviewer room that was an optimal purpose built room. Mostly what I've seen are asymmetrical living areas that are cluttered.

The best room I've ever heard is the one built by Winston Ma. I doubt any room can compete with that one.

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
There are so many variables involved in creating a space for critical listening. Many times it is tempting to judge a room by looking at pictures. Unfortunately, pictures don't give us enough information on dimensions, geometry, volume, absorption coefficients of surfaces, construction of boundaries, that's just scratching the surface. I'm not saying these guys have great or poor rooms only that much more information is needed to make assumptions that might get us in the ballpark. There's the human factor too. Placement, power, individual targets, utility. Not to mention the ability to adjust and filter out anomalies the same way it is proven medically that humans do so, albeit not completely, with gradual degradation of hearing over time. There's so much we just don't see, often times purposely.

Take Mike L. He's made many changes from his original Rives designed room. Many of these changes are hidden from view. Fabrics, sealing of bass traps. Same in my room. Change of false walls from Marine ply to gypsum, wood to metal studs, clips, rock wool to fiberglass. Helmholtz tuning changes, all hidden from view. It's always great to make rooms look pretty but pretty has got to work and truth be told, ugly can work too.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
You can't review big speakers in small rooms

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I disagree. You can. That doesn't mean you should, but sure you can...

16hz lover

Aug 2, 2013
Please explain why not.
Who determines what dimensions are considered small?
Who determines what dimensions make a speaker big?

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

flyer

VIP/Donor
Dec 16, 2012
Belgium

I am to agree, having a smallish room myself (22m² with 2.45 m ceiling), that it is extremely difficult to replace volume by anything else! Real volume is almost irreplacable.

However, if that room is well treated, i.e. the low end standing waves are taken out of the equation (i.e. solved by some treatment) amonst other things, I like to think it is better to have a small treated room than a big untreated one with those typical effects of standing waves, flutter echo, windows at the most inconvenient places,...

Large speakers is difficult to define effectively. I think the positioning requirements of speakers are most important. If you have speakers that need a lot of space behind as otherwise they cannot blossom, then with a small room, they will be difficult to position except if you want to sit as close to them as if they were monitors, causing potentially other (integration/timing) issues.

Not an easy subject.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I am to agree, having a smallish room myself (22m² with 2.45 m ceiling), that it is extremely difficult to replace volume by anything else! Real volume is almost irreplacable.

However, if that room is well treated, i.e. the low end standing waves are taken out of the equation (i.e. solved by some treatment) amonst other things, I like to think it is better to have a small treated room than a big untreated one with those typical effects of standing waves, flutter echo, windows at the most inconvenient places,...

Large speakers is difficult to define effectively. I think the positioning requirements of speakers are most important. If you have speakers that need a lot of space behind as otherwise they cannot blossom, then with a small room, they will be difficult to position except if you want to sit as close to them as if they were monitors, causing potentially other (integration/timing) issues.

Not an easy subject.

Well yes, I am not saying big rooms should be untreated.

You have a room better than most of them, if not all.

Here is another link Mike posted at AS. Haven't been able to read yet

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/138477-the-listening-rooms-of-stereophile-tas/

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Here's the thing of it...iMHO, the room is the most important component of the whole system. So, IF we agree with that... when one reads a reviewer of any type of gear..and particularly speakers, what is the reviewer actually listening to ( and more importantly commenting on), his room/speaker/gear interaction, or the true sound of the speaker itself?? Add into that listening bias that all reviewers elicit ( and probably all of us as well) ( can we say Art Dudley here, LOL:rolleyes:) and we have a recipe for another discussion!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Here's the thing of it...iMHO, the room is the most important component of the whole system. So, IF we agree with that... when one reads a reviewer of any type of gear..and particularly speakers, what is the reviewer actually listening to ( and more importantly commenting on), his room/speaker/gear interaction, or the true sound of the speaker itself?? Add into that listening bias that all reviewers elicit ( and probably all of us as well) ( can we say Art Dudley here, LOL:rolleyes:) and we have a recipe for another discussion!

Unless you specifically design the room to take the room out of play, the room is a component in that it effects the sound. Hard to make definitive judgements about what a component, especially speakers sound like due to the effect of the room. I have been in only one room outside a recording studio where the effect of the room has been negated. This room should be a reviewer's dream but few would go to this level.

flyer

VIP/Donor
Dec 16, 2012
Belgium

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
I just had a chance to read about Kessler's room in the first link. Got to love a 12' X 18' room with LPs all around the back walls and five (5)! turntables. Of particular interest to me are the two SME turntables, Model 30 AND Model 30/12. The guy knows how to live.

I do wonder though about the imaging in the room with the equipment racks squeezed between, and in the same plane as, the two Wilson speakers. It is just contrary to what I have always thought was good practice. And that collection of cartridges piled up on the soft grooved platter surface of the SME 30 just makes me cringe. That surface is extremely easy to scratch.

Thanks for posting these links. They make for fun browsing.

flyer

VIP/Donor
Dec 16, 2012
Belgium
On the importance of acoustics: Here is a room with very good sizes but with a standing wave in the bass that is so overwhelming that it killed a lot of the music(ality) all the way into the midrange.

Some helmholtz resonators were put in place, reducing that standing wave to become hardly noticeable (it is still there a bit but much attenuated), the sound of the system has changed/improved big time!!

20170219_185711.jpg

Diapason

Mar 26, 2014
Dublin, Ireland
Agreed with everything so far, but one thing I'll say is that, sonically speaking, clutter is often a good thing. A lot of these guys have that part nailed.

Still, having heard DRASTICALLY different results with the same system in different rooms over the years, I try to remind myself that other people's opinions on speakers should be viewed merely as entertainment.

flyer

VIP/Donor
Dec 16, 2012
Belgium
Agreed with everything so far, but one thing I'll say is that, sonically speaking, clutter is often a good thing. A lot of these guys have that part nailed.

Still, having heard DRASTICALLY different results with the same system in different rooms over the years, I try to remind myself that other people's opinions on speakers should be viewed merely as entertainment.

+1

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) Still, having heard DRASTICALLY different results with the same system in different rooms over the years, I try to remind myself that other people's opinions on speakers should be viewed merely as entertainment.

Entertainment and information, if you know well the preferences and style of the person and have some common anchors.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
my experience as far as speaker performance and the room is that everything matters. the smallest things can make significant differences. the larger and more dynamic the speaker and room are the more is required to harness it. and unless you attack literally everything you won't know what the room and speakers can accomplish.

so when I see a cluttered room for me it's not that it won't sound good, it's that the actual fine tuning of the room and speakers is likely not to have occurred. so it's all left to chance and so the feedback on the speaker is, like has been said, for entertainment purposes only.

a neat, tidy and relatively organized room is no proof of anything either. god knows my room was neat and tidy and sucked in many ways for years. so it's a combination of things including credibility over time from the person/reviewer.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing