What do you use for EQ processing

wil

Jul 22, 2015
I use an Ashley ne4400. My concern is that it's DAC might be a weak link in the signal chain. My source is the Lumin S1 with the ESS Sabre 32 bit dac chips.

Can anyone suggest eq processors with dac's of comparable quality to the Lumins?
Does it matter? Thanks

wil

Jul 22, 2015
Thanks Kal, Could you elaborate a bit on why you prefer software eq?
One advantage I can imagine, is no repeating of the D to A with software...

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Thanks Kal, Could you elaborate a bit on why you prefer software eq?
Primarily because software that runs on generic processors is easily and economically updated in comparison to updating hardware devices.
One advantage I can imagine, is no repeating of the D to A with software...
That, too, but you can get around that.

wil

Jul 22, 2015
Any particular software you recommend? Accurate? Dirac?

What is a method of getting around the extra DA conversion with hardware based
EQ? Thanks much

pkane

Jan 6, 2017
I use DEQ2496 as an all-digital EQ for all non-USB sources. Love the flexibility and it runs at up to 24/96KHz PCM. Sounds great with CD sources and Apple TV.

For USB input I just started to use the convolution engine built into HQPlayer. This lets me EQ playback over DSD256 and PCM 32/384KHz. This combination really sound awesome in my system.

I created both filters in REW and both feed into an ESS DAC. No extra DA conversion either way.

Barry

Member Sponsor
Jan 7, 2012
Somewhere near Philadelphia, USA
I'm using the DSPeaker Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0 processor and doing additional room measurements using REW.

Initially I started out using it running full range between between my preamp and an active analog 3 way crossover (tri-amped system) but I wasn't pleased with the level of transparency set up this way primarily due to the complexity of my system. A separate power supply helped quite a bit, but in the end, I opted for using the unit for just the subs only. In fairness to DSPeaker, it was designed to work as a stand-alone pre-amp or between your preamp and amp; not like I used it. It's really flexible and does a lot. It's really simple and fast to use. There have been several software updates. The screen resolution is somewhat limited. This is one of the reasons I like REW in addition to the other measurements that it does (waterfall plots, RT-60, group delay, etc). Oh, I had an issue with a software upgrade and the DSPeaker technical support (from Finland!) is just outstanding.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing