The new Serafino!

Sonic Guild

Mar 1, 2017
It is not clear what improvements were introduced to the Serafino. On SF website there is no single info about any acoustic improvements over the Olympica III. They did not release any useful info about the drivers. Just a pure advertisement about the wood, shape, luxury...etc.! In my opinion this is useless for audiophiles.
I noticed that the Serafino is a 5-10 cm shorter compared to the Olympica III and has the same drivers in terms of size. The ONLY difference that they stated on the website is that the Serafino has new reflux system, without mentioning any audible differences or improvements.
I am interested in this speaker but I don't want to spend money on the look, wood....etc. Any thoughts?

Last edited:

emcdade

Feb 4, 2016
I might demo them this weekend and post back here.

I heard the new Guarneri's and was simply blown away. These are quite a bit different than the old line. Compared to O3 the new G's vocals were less recessed, more presence. O3 clarity a class below easily. The best way to describe them is just that they're freaking perfect for my taste. They sound more nuetral, more forward, less soft, more air, more resolution, but remain COMPLETELY SMOOTH, musical, and with a touch of warmth. Soundstage was enormous and well defined. The G's kicked the Sopra 2'a ass, and I actually preferred Sopra to O3.

If the Serafino is a Guarneri that still disappears and plays down to 30 hz I'm sold.

Sonic Guild

Mar 1, 2017
I might demo them this weekend and post back here.

I heard the new Guarneri's and was simply blown away. These are quite a bit different than the old line. Compared to O3 the new G's vocals were less recessed, more presence. O3 clarity a class below easily. The best way to describe them is just that they're freaking perfect for my taste. They sound more nuetral, more forward, less soft, more air, more resolution, but remain COMPLETELY SMOOTH, musical, and with a touch of warmth. Soundstage was enormous and well defined. The G's kicked the Sopra 2'a ass, and I actually preferred Sopra to O3.

If the Serafino is a Guarneri that still disappears and plays down to 30 hz I'm sold.

Glad to hear that you will demo it soon.

Not quite sure but is it valid to compare the Guarneri with O3 or Sopra2?

emcdade

Feb 4, 2016
Ok got a few hours in this weekend. Electronics were all ARC, driven by an ARC tube amp (can't remember model number but it wasn't the Ref).

I was surprised there was so much treble. I wouldn't call them bright or harsh or anything but there was s touch too much for my taste. I didn't remember the G's giving me this feeling, they were more relaxed for me but they were being driven by an AVM integrated and that pairing was superb.

One thing to note is that they were setup with a lot of toe in, damn near on axis listening so that certainly could've been the reason.

Mids were fantastic and vocals were very smooth with good presence. This is SF's wheelhouse and they really deliver here.

Mid bass and upper bass remained what I'd call nuetral which is a departure from older SF with a warmer sound. This will be the shocker when older SF owners come to listen.

Lower bass was decent but not quite "full" and certainly not visceral like you would find in Sopra 2. What was there sounded good but I yearned for a bit more. As a whole with the extended and pronounced treble the Serafino's gave a somewhat lean presentation.

Ss&I were excellent and they disappeared in the 17x24 room with ease. Just as good as Guarneri in this regard with all the 3D goodness and height you could ever want.

I really enjoyed them but frankly after hearing the Guarneri I was expecting to be blown away but I never really settled in with the treble.

Now I'm wondering what these would sound like with some warm solid state gear and less toe in...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing