AVM AMP MK2 Stereo

Citizen

Mar 20, 2014
Norway
Hi to everyone
Dose anybody know anything about this amp, own it or have heard it ?
I think it was the predecessor to the Ovation series, but I see the specs are identical. Looks to be a very powerful amp from the specs and I see Udo Besser who was designing Burmester amps, later sent on to design these amps at AVM

Would appreciate any info about this particular amp, since I have the opportunity to buy one from the north of Norway, but may not be alle to listen to it first.

I am looking for a powerful and good sounding amp to drive my ASI Tango R

Citizen

Mar 20, 2014
Norway
Nobody have anything or heard it live?

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
AVM has a wide variety of stereo amps. It might help if you specified exactly which model you are referring to :)

Citizen

Mar 20, 2014
Norway

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
This one? This is the SA8.2

Ovation_SA8.2_gr.jpg

The monos were reviewed at AVShowrooms.com

Unfortunately the only time I saw them they were on static display along with the other products. The build quality looks very impressive as the specs do. I would like to play with a pair to be honest the only thing that stopped me was the binding post configuration which is recessed into the rear of the chassis making it difficult for thick and stiff full bi-wire cables. Word is that the bass is really good.

Whatmore

Jun 2, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
This one? This is the SA8.2

View attachment 31358

The monos were reviewed at AVShowrooms.com

Unfortunately the only time I saw them they were on static display along with the other products. The build quality looks very impressive as the specs do. I would like to play with a pair to be honest the only thing that stopped me was the binding post configuration which is recessed into the rear of the chassis making it difficult for thick and stiff full bi-wire cables. Word is that the bass is really good.

I heard some AVM monoblocks driving some Analysis Audio Epsilon panels at a showroom in Australia.
I'm not sure if the panels were a particularly nasty load but the amps protection circuitry kicked in.
Volume wasn't particularly loud either.

For an amp that is supposed to be able to drive anything, this surprised me.

Citizen

Mar 20, 2014
Norway
The apperance is identical, execpt from the logo AVM which says Amp instead, both in front and on top.
Ok, that sound bad, I didnt think many speakers would turn out to be a huge problem. Could it have been some prototypes, maybe a faulty unit? Untill I have a chance to hear them live, I will not buy. Will visit someone later today and have a demo on the Coda 15.5 and TS poweramp, maybe it will be enough juice in them

Last edited:

Citizen

Mar 20, 2014
Norway
these are the ones I heard

http://melbournehifi.com.au/products/avm-ovation-ma8-sa8-mono-power-amplifier-stereo-power-amplifier

The dealer didn't mention them being a prototype unit or that they were faulty.
Thats a very negative thing to hear, and for me probably a reason for not going into these amps or amp. They are supposed to be highly stable, at least down to 2 Ohm, but guess that not even the monos are stabile at such speakerloads..truly disappointing. Thank you for info

Whatmore

Jun 2, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
Thats a very negative thing to hear, and for me probably a reason for not going into these amps or amp. They are supposed to be highly stable, at least down to 2 Ohm, but guess that not even the monos are stabile at such speakerloads..truly disappointing. Thank you for info

I'm not familiar with the specs of your speakers so they may not present any issue.
The speakers I heard were panels and panels are notorious for having difficulty impedences

Citizen

Mar 20, 2014
Norway
My speakers are on paper not Extremely demanding, but I have heard them on the Karan 450 monos, which were a revelation.
Anyway, yeah, panels are hard loads, but one Dedicated mono to each should really have provided enough juice, they are rather costly, so one should at least think you were provided enough..anyway, thanks

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The apperance is identical, execpt from the logo AVM which says Amp instead, both in front and on top.
Ok, that sound bad, I didnt think many speakers would turn out to be a huge problem. Could it have been some prototypes, maybe a faulty unit? Untill I have a chance to hear them live, I will not buy. Will visit someone later today and have a demo on the Coda 15.5 and TS poweramp, maybe it will be enough juice in them

( I recieved a picture btw of the amp in question: View attachment 31359

This might be one of their earlier products. Maybe even their first amp, I wonder if the pre said PRE. :D The MA and SA have been their big amps for a few years now.

JasperJ

Jan 21, 2024
East Coast
What is everyones opinion of AVM 30 MA 30.3 the Monos? Sounds like they are going to start production again in a few weeks and was interested but there is only one youtube review I could find and one third party article that gave them an 78 out of 100, whatever that means. I have a dealer trying to sell me a used pair and said they are liquid but not very resolving... so not sure what to make of that.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing