Tekton Design Double Impact Reference Loudspeakers

C.A.P

Apr 23, 2010
The orchid special.. NEEDS MORE TWEETERS ! In Christopher Walken's voice!

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012
These new Ulfberhts speakers will use :bScanspeak drivers and will be sold at Audio Archon

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/tekton-double-impacts/post?postid=1423435#1423435

This person liked his Double Impact speakers better than some > > "Magico Q3's"!:b

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/tekton-double-impacts/post?postid=1423379#1423379

Looks like Tekton Design brings the "The Law Of Diminishing Returns" down to the $$$ 3K RANGE!

"Now the ""Working Poor"" can get the very best sound for a lot less money"!! :D ;) :cool:

Last edited:

reverendo

Mar 10, 2014
Dallas, TX

EVOLVIST

Apr 20, 2017
Well, well, well...

I have heard the Double Impacts. 3 times already, in fact! None of those times were in optimal conditions, e.g. my own room, setup the way I want them, with my Linn KDS/3.

However, with the exception of some non-upgraded Double Impacts, the upgraded model is quite a treat. The imaging as good as anything out there, but in both instances the front ends were not all that great, and one was in a home theater setup (without the center channel activated, of course). That's not a dig on the people's gear; i'm just saying the conditions could have been better. In one system, though, I remember thinking, "This is like having Sennheiser HD800s in speaker form." Take that as you will, because this particular setup had the speakers about 12ft apart, while it is recommended that the speakers are set about 6-8ft apart. In other words, the imaging was quite strong, but anything panned left and right sounded VERY left-right, with a slightly recessed center. So, yeah, too wide of a soundstage.

Otherwise, I'll have to get these in my own home to really put them through their paces. I went for broke and ordered the mini-Ulfbehrts, with a 60 day trial, so either I'm out $300 for return shipping, or I have magnificent speakers. It's a win-win, really. I've spent $300 on a lot less.

I'll make sure to report back, even though I imagine it will be a month and a half, since they have to get here, plus break in, before I really do some surgical listening.

C.A.P

Apr 23, 2010
Me and a few others have heard them at a reviewers home and all 4 of us left unimpressed.. 1 watt just wasn't dynamic enough.. and sounded FLAT!
That being said , one of the four just heard the DI with a crown amp .. yes a PA amp and said they were worlds better than the first time on much more revered gear..

Keep us posted !

EVOLVIST

Apr 20, 2017
Me and a few others have heard them at a reviewers home and all 4 of us left unimpressed.. 1 watt just wasn't dynamic enough.. and sounded FLAT!
That being said , one of the four just heard the DI with a crown amp .. yes a PA amp and said they were worlds better than the first time on much more revered gear..

Keep us posted !

Yeah, I would imagine 1 watt to be rather flat. For the non-upgraded DIs that I heard, it was being pumped by a 20w tube amp, and the more juice the DIs got, the more the speakers hopped. They don't have to be cranked to super loud volumes, but yeah, they thrive on power. So, at probably about 85db SPL, or thereabouts, with some good watts it sounded pretty damn good, but before we got to that volume it incrementally bloomed as the volume knob came up. That is to say, they aren't that great at a whisper.

As to how much people rave about the DIs with tube amps, and rightfully so, they also get a grip with SS pretty well. So, yeah, I imagine the Crown amps would drive them better, albeit perhaps a little lean? I don't know.

All in all, I think it's a very worthy endeavor to see what these Tektons can do. Whether they will be a be-all-end-all has yet to be heard, by me, but then again, what speaker is?

It's why reviewers review gear in their own environment. That removes so many undesirable factors from shows or at other people' cribs. Of course one could say vice versa. I just feel they must be at my place to fiddle with placement, gear, etc. to get a full account of what any speaker can do.

Audio_Karma

Sep 24, 2012
The new Lyngdorf TDAI 2170 solid-state amp:b might be the best match with these Tekton Double Impact SE's over Highly Raved Tube Gear!:rolleyes::D

http://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/tekton-double-impacts/post?postid=1457382#1457382

Someone who owns the new Double Impact SE's who has heard the Big Ulfberhts too, said if you don't have a 'Mansion-Size-Room' then the Double Impact SE's are all the speakers your ever need...AT ANY PRICE!:b:D

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing