Low-cost streamer compares to Aurender

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
Yes, but you need a computer on the same network to do that (where you can install Roon for example). The computer is only needed on the same network, not in the same room, so you can move it to your basement, or use a desktop computer if you have one at home.

SOtM is just a renderer (of sorts) that only convers signal from Ethernet to USB. You still need a place to run your music server software (NAS or a PC, although for any sample conversion you need a PC).
Thanks very much for your helpful response. Good listening!

Brucemck2

Member Sponsor
May 10, 2010
Houston area
Elberoth, what's your signal chain; what's the order of your devices?

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
Very interesting - this suggests that the USB isolator/reclocker or similar can interact actively with the DAC you were using. It would be great to know if this is a casual interaction, or if these devices have a systematic sound signature that shows in every DAC.

There is a huge thread on head-fi about USB fixers. And another about the Rednet 3. In my testing and IMO it is coming down to noise getting into the DAC that is the number 1 issue. Then jitter number 2.

I had a chain of 'USB' fixers for a while and it was getting silly, and I got mixed results. I went Rednet, so Ethernet 1000 Base T out to Rednet via Dante sound card, then SPDIF or AES out to DAC. Thus resulted in an incredibly smooth and transparent sound. I play as resident sample rate, to stay on 44.1 or play 96 if the file is that resolution. I find no advantage upsampling, but my DAC is old school R-2R with no digital filter, so maybe YMMV.

I would say give the Rednet a try, it is neat, one box and reliable. You do have a limit of 192K as SPDIF.

Good luck.

elescher

Member Sponsor
Sep 12, 2010
New York
How important is the JS2 PSU in relation to SQ in your opinion?

Since I have the Vinnie R and the JS-2 PSU I tried each one with all the applicable devices, ncluding the external video processor in my HT setup. (Iscan Duo). I prefer the VR PSU to the JS-2 in all applications. My 2 channel system was down for a few days so,I swapped the two PSU's on my video processor. Clearly picture was far superior with the VR PSU. So much so, that I plan on getting another one as I am using it to power the SOTM Ultra (12v) now. The JS-2 (as stated previous post) is powering the modified router that came with the Ultra (5v)

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
For USB to spdif check out the Schiit Eitr.

I haven't tried that unit, but I used to own the Offramp 5 comp with Linear PS, but eventually went Ethernet. USB never sounded right to me, Ethernet got rid of the 'digital' sound I spent so long trying to avoid. Why do so many DAC manufacturers use USB? Because it is cheap, easy to implement and they understand it. It doesn't mean it is the best protocol.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Sotm sMS 200 Ultra.JPG I have spent the last 6 months or so looking for a way forward with this and have now had the Sotm SMS-200 Ultra (12v) sweetly settling in for the last couple of weeks set up running off a Kingrex linear PSU that I had spare.

Wow, sensational, so completely impressed with this, so unprocessed and engaging and effortless, just might even get the partnering TxUltra to run with it as well though I really have to say that I find the sound I have with it already hard to fault just as it is.

Certainly putting it up on good isolation made the world of difference and I am now a confirmed believer in clock sensitivity to vibration. In fact I'll probably get another one for the other system as this is proving just such brilliantly affordable hi end music making. Loving this little beastie.

Last edited:

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
I got a bluesound node 2 and and connected its digital out to my dcs Puccini digital input. Music is streamed via Tidal. With this combo, streamed music via Tidal falls way short of cd's. Will upgrading to a much more expensive streamer such as the dcs bridge, ps audio, naim, etc result in a much better streaming experience?
I have my Bluesound Node 2 connected via Transparent Gen 5 optical RCA to a Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista DAC and just like you, music via Tidal and my observations mimic yours. Of all of the streamers I have heard, they all have "close" to CD quality. It's apparent that their version of close and ours obviously differ. With my setup, it's real close on many aspects but the ambience is severely degraded due to what I refer too as a mid-bass suckout. It's there but at a seemingly different Db level than the rest of the frequencies. At first, I thought it was my rig or a faulty BS Node2 but when I went to go investigate the cause, it turned out that all of them did this.

I did not notice this, or rather it did not stand out to me, until I got home and was actually able to compare it directly to a CD. It's a shame that no shops will let you directly compare a streamer to a CDP anymore (at least around here). Hi-Fi Buys down in Atlanta and Sound Advice in Charlotte have all streamers throughout the shop(s). They sound great in a strange room and on a strange system but this was very apparent the moment I started playing at home in a rig I was intimately familiar with.

I just use it as background noise when I'm working in the office 40 feet away from the rig, so it's not that big of a deal but it still irks me that they claim "CD sound quality" when it's clearly not IMO.

Tom

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
but it still irks me that they claim "CD sound quality" when it's clearly not IMO.

Tom

Tom: I assume you are comparing the $20/month "CD Quality" version of Tidal directly to the CD? If so, that's really disappointing.

I was sort of considering buying a streaming device with digital outs (then connect to my Datasat RS20i - as is my current dedicated music server, subscribe to the Tidal "CD Quality" service and start listening to all of my music that way vs CD. That gives me a couple of benefits: My server (running on a dedicated PC in my equipment room) is a HUGE generator of heat in that small space so I don't run it except when I am sitting down listening to music --- and Tidal is a relatively inexpensive way to try out new music - much less than buying the physical disc.

Do you think the issue is the "streamer" or the actual source data? And if the data is sourced from a CD, why would it not sound as good as a CD? The music from my server, which of course is a copy of my CD, actually sounds a good bit better than when played from the CD. Are you connected to Tidal via Ethernet or wirelessly? If wirelessly, could that be the issue as I will be connected via Ethernet?

This digital stuff is just "weird" :(

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Not sure the issue is a Tidal thing... it varies also with CDs. some "pressings' of the same Title are "better" than others. I would advise people to make their own mind/audition on Tidal and decide ..
Tidal + Roon have completely changed the way I listen to music. I am enjoying music like I have never in my Life, discovering new music and artists in a way that is basically impossible with the old model of purchasing music.. So much more music for so much less money $20/month is a bargain the likes of it are the stuff of dreams. I also do listen to Spotify .. they are threatening to start a lossless service too ... or have they? already?

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
Not sure the issue is a Tidal thing... it varies also with CDs. some "pressings' of the same Title are "better" than others. I would advise people to make their own mind/audition on Tidal and decide ..
Tidal + Roon have completely changed the way I listen to music. I am enjoying music like I have never in my Life, discovering new music and artists in a way that is basically impossible with the old model of purchasing music.. So much more music for so much less money $20/month is a bargain the likes of it are the stuff of dreams. I also do listen to Spotify .. they are threatening to start a lossless service too ... or have they? already?

Frantz: What do you use for a streaming device?

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
I use a Bluesound Node2 with Roon/Tidal -- have to say I haven't heard differences between the Bluesound and other streamers thusfar. I also use a network-enabled PS Audio Directstream DAC via Roon -- it performs well. As Tidal and the PS are both recent acquisitions, will have to compare Tidal to CD and also the Bluesound to the PS. Have extensively compared actual CD playback to the ripped/streamed track w/an a/b switch setup, and have found them indistinguishable via the Bluesound and a couple of other devices.

I am unconvinced that high-priced streamers outperform well-engineered lower priced ones such as the Bluesound.

Last edited:

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
I use a Bluesound Node2 with Roon/Tidal -- have to say I haven't heard differences between the Bluesound and other streamers thusfar. I also use a network-enabled PS Directstream DAC via Roon -- it performs well. As Tidal and the PS are both recent acquisitions, will have to compare Tidal to CD and also the Bluesound to the PS. Have extensively compared actual CD playback to the ripped/streamed track w/an a/b switch setup, and have found them indistinguishable via the Bluesound and a couple of other devices.

I am unconvinced that high-priced streamers outperform well-engineered lower priced ones such as the Bluesound.

I share your opinions, especially the underlined ...

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I have my Bluesound Node 2 connected via Transparent Gen 5 optical RCA to a Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista DAC (...)

Can you give us some details on this cable?

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Tom: I assume you are comparing the $20/month "CD Quality" version of Tidal directly to the CD? If so, that's really disappointing.
Hello audioguy! Unfortunately, yes. I am.

Do you think the issue is the "streamer" or the actual source data? And if the data is sourced from a CD, why would it not sound as good as a CD? The music from my server, which of course is a copy of my CD, actually sounds a good bit better than when played from the CD. Are you connected to Tidal via Ethernet or wirelessly? If wirelessly, could that be the issue as I will be connected via Ethernet?

I really do not know what the root cause is. Right now I am wireless. I have a custom AQ ethernet cable being built to see if that will help but when I went back into the stores where they were hooked up to ethernet, I noticed the same suck out on every rig I heard. It takes the "life" out of the music to me. Most folks may not notice but I sure do in my rig.

Tom

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Can you give us some details on this cable?
Hello and good evening to you, Microstrip. I tried an optical cable I had lying around and noticed the same thing, so I went and got the Transparent Performance 75-ohm-digital-cable but it really made no difference. Just a slightly better sound. Here is a picture of it. It says on the box that it's a P75DL1. That's about all I can say about it. The outboard DAC made the biggest improvement.

Tom

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing