Low-cost streamer compares to Aurender

Legolas

VIP/Donor
Dec 27, 2015
France
Excellent.

How much V do you need the battery? 9?

Also what is the latest on audio over Ethernet, Dante card and rednet? Guess Lukas will be able to add a Dante card into his dac

I haven't tried the MicroRendu our other latest USB gizmos / reclockers and convertor. I had up to that point tried Ofrramp 5 and M2Tech full stack, TotalDAC USB cable, various other decrapifiers. The result s were a slow improvement but I lost patience with it in the end. I suspected USB was not ideal for me for various reasons.

I second the Rednet 3 and AOIP. It has for me, removed any hint of digital to my source chain and it a breeze to use once set up. I have some theories why it sounds better than my USB chains, one being latency, then isolation, no power on the line and less noise, designed for audio (unlike USB protocol). The downside is if you really are needing up sampling and go above 192K. The 1000 base T can take the transfer easily, but at the moment Dante and Rednt has that limit, possibly as it is really designed for a DAW as opposed to domestic audio systems, and the AES/SPDIf output on it is probably for monitoring purposes.

Anyway, I would say give it a try. I was made aware of AOIP when I had the C1 DAC demo and was told it is better over it's Ethernet card than it's 5K USB card.

dafos

Sep 17, 2010
I got a bluesound node 2 and and connected its digital out to my dcs Puccini digital input. Music is streamed via Tidal. With this combo, streamed music via Tidal falls way short of cd's. Will upgrading to a much more expensive streamer such as the dcs bridge, ps audio, naim, etc result in a much better streaming experience?

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I have recently tried the setup I was talking about against the Aurender W20 and it definately sounds better than the W20.

UpTone Audio JS-2 PSU
2x UpTone Audio LPS-1 PSU
SOtM sNS-200 end point
Jcat USB isolator (Intona)
Wyred 4 Sound Recovery USB reclocker

Jcat USB isolator (Intona) + Wyred 4 Sound Recovery USB reclocker can be replaced with UpTone ISO Regen. ISO Regen sounds a bit more open on top. Wyred sounds more meaty.

katylied

Sep 7, 2011
Torino (Turin) - Italy
I got a bluesound node 2 and and connected its digital out to my dcs Puccini digital input. Music is streamed via Tidal. With this combo, streamed music via Tidal falls way short of cd's. Will upgrading to a much more expensive streamer such as the dcs bridge, ps audio, naim, etc result in a much better streaming experience?

Please note that the albums on Tidal can be from a different master from the CD you have, and this can be one source of the difference you are hearing. The digital output from the Bluesound can also be another source of the issue (and the digital cable of course).

audio.bill

May 27, 2013
Chicago suburbs
I have recently tried the setup I was talking about against the Aurender W20 and it definately sounds better than the W20.

UpTone Audio JS-2 PSU
SOtM sNS-200 end point

Jcat USB isolator (Intona) + Wyred 4 Sound Recovery USB reclocker can be replaced with UpTone ISO Regen. ISO Regen sounds a bit more open on top. Wyred sounds more meaty.
Adam - I run a Metrum Adagio PCM DAC and was considering getting an Aurender N10 server since it supports DSD to PCM conversion via FPGA. Using an SOtM setup like you detailed above would DSD to PCM conversion be an available option? TIA!

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

UpTone Audio JS-2 PSU
SOtM sNS-200 end point

Wow that's something

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

UpTone Audio JS-2 PSU
SOtM sNS-200 end point

Very interesting - this suggests that the USB isolator/reclocker or similar can interact actively with the DAC you were using. It would be great to know if this is a casual interaction, or if these devices have a systematic sound signature that shows in every DAC.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Adam - I run a Metrum Adagio PCM DAC and was considering getting an Aurender N10 server since it supports DSD to PCM conversion via FPGA. Using an SOtM setup like you detailed above would DSD to PCM conversion be an available option? TIA!

Yes, but you need a computer on the same network to do that (where you can install Roon for example). The computer is only needed on the same network, not in the same room, so you can move it to your basement, or use a desktop computer if you have one at home.

SOtM is just a renderer (of sorts) that only convers signal from Ethernet to USB. You still need a place to run your music server software (NAS or a PC, although for any sample conversion you need a PC).

elescher

Member Sponsor
Sep 12, 2010
New York
I sent my GG to Poland about a month ago for a check up. While it was there the new SOtM Ultra was delivered and I have been listening to 512 ever since the GG has been back in the system. I use the Vinnie Rossi 12v PSU for the 200 and the Uptone psu for the router that comes with the modified Ultra 200 image.jpg image.jpg (upgraded clocking)

Eichenbaum

Sep 29, 2013
How important is the JS2 PSU in relation to SQ in your opinion?

UpTone Audio JS-2 PSU
SOtM sNS-200 end point

bibo01

Nov 26, 2013
Not really, just limited to one OS per flash. Choose upfront.

I'm not 100% sure that I understood your reply...
I spoke to Amanero today and he told me that Lampizator is probably using one of latest released firmware (probably 2002). Such firmware was still beta and to be tested on different players/platforms.
Furthermore, it does NOT contain Windows OS code.
Very soon (probably a couple of days, maybe less) Amanero will release final version of firmware - 2003 - which is further optimized (he tested it last night) and it contains code for Windows.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
How important is the JS2 PSU in relation to SQ in your opinion?

Hard to say. I'm using it as I already had one. It only works as a charger. Regular linear PSU will probably inject a bit more noise back to the AC mains and SMPS (like the iPower) even slightly more. So it probably goes down to your system sesitivity to AC line noise. May be a non issue if you have a power conditioner.

Eichenbaum

Sep 29, 2013
Hard to say. I'm using it as I already had one. It only works as a charger. Regular linear PSU will probably inject a bit more noise back to the AC mains and SMPS (like the iPower) even slightly more. So it probably goes down to your system sesitivity to AC line noise. May be a non issue if you have a power conditioner.

Thanks!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing