Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi all,

Any compare reports of the following

1. Microrendu with battery power supply
2. Antipodes
3. Audio Alchemy DMP-1
4. Lumin U1

Want compares to any Aurender model or Auralic Aries as I know their sonics.

plissken

Feb 24, 2017
Hi all,

2. Antipodes
3. Audio Alchemy DMP-1
4. Lumin U1

My experience is that the quality is dependent on the DAC you have attached.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
My experience is that the quality is dependent on the DAC you have attached.

Let's assume it has a good USB. So which of those do good USB outputs, which do good AES, and will the Rednet Dante card beat these?

plissken

Feb 24, 2017
Let's assume it has a good USB. So which of those do good USB outputs, which do good AES, and will the Rednet Dante card beat these?

What are your requirements? All three can sound good. Dante enabled devices are going to be the most expensive as they are studio devices and multi-channel. I think there is one consumer piece that uses Dante.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
What are your requirements? All three can sound good. Dante enabled devices are going to be the most expensive as they are studio devices and multi-channel. I think there is one consumer piece that uses Dante.

Ok, I thought rednet Dante was low cost for 2channel. I just want good quality PCM and DSD, with additional upsampling to DSD, decent interface, connection to tidal/qobuz.

Already compared aurender to Auralic and prefer the former x100.

MRJAZZ

Industry Expert
Jan 20, 2014
Hi all,

2. Antipodes
3. Audio Alchemy DMP-1
4. Lumin U1

May want to consider a Bluesound Node 2. Its very inexpensive, (approximately 500 US). It's been awhile since I had the Aurelic Aries, however I prefer the Bluesound interface to the Aries, and it's sound may be a little more "relaxed" than the Aries. Even has a decent, for the money,on board MQA Dac. I however choose to use an outboard Dac.
Cheers....

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
The mini from here:
http://thememoryplayer.com

Publisherschoice.jpgThe Laufer Teknik Memory Player 64 (Price varies by Configuration): Depending upon perspective the Memory Player is either the oldest or the newest component in my system. Since I purchased it in 2006 it has undergone numerous updates (including October, 2015) as Mark Porzilli and Sam Laufer continue to push the envelope in digital audio. It is my system’s anchor and the only component not subject to replacement. The technology that accomplishes the exceptional performance is beyond my comprehension but I do know I have never heard a better digital source or found one with more features and technology innovations. It is a one-box solution to all of my needs. The Memory Player can rip (CDs and DVD-As), record from analog sources, download, store, and playback with either analog or digital output. Possible configurations an owner can choose rival a Chinese restaurant menu. In addition, the Memory Player can convert any stored file to 16/44 to burn a CD. When I take composite discs burned from the Memory Player to audio shows I frequently receive compliments on the quality of the recordings. I smile and respond that they have been “MP’d.” (Donald Shaulis)

Publisherschoice.jpgLaufer Teknik Memory Player 32 Core Transport Version with J Rivers ($55,000.00): Consider yourself a part of the upper echelon if you can afford this digital transport. I have been very fortunate to be a proud owner of one of Laufer Tekniks best Memory Player upgrades EVER!!. I have no idea how Mark Porzilli can top their latest top-of-the-line performer in this 32-Core unit. I was silly over the standard 8-Core ($18,500), before I upgraded to the 16-Core ($30k). However, with much reluctance I up’ed the ante to the 32 Core and it was one of the wisest decisions of my audio career. The sonics that this digital player delivers are simply unbelievable. An upgraded operating system with Windows Server 2012 makes this Memory Player the most user friendly and intuitive to date. It's the sound that ultimately wins and that dear reader is out of this stratosphere. (Clement Perry, Moreno Mitchell and Dan Secula use the 32-Core model)

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
May want to consider a Bluesound Node 2. Its very inexpensive, (approximately 500 US). It's been awhile since I had the Aurelic Aries, however I prefer the Bluesound interface to the Aries, and it's sound may be a little more "relaxed" than the Aries. Even has a decent, for the money,on board MQA Dac. I however choose to use an outboard Dac.
Cheers....

Yes my dac is outboard.

cyclopse

Jul 25, 2016
No Melco in the shortlist?

Also the Raspberry Pi with a linear power supply is what I consider the bargain of recent times. Can play from a network file share and also can link directly in my case to Spotify Premium.

Don't forget a linear supply for the internet router too.

Thanks

Cyclopse

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
No Melco in the shortlist?

Also the Raspberry Pi with a linear power supply is what I consider the bargain of recent times. Can play from a network file share and also can link directly in my case to Spotify Premium.

Don't forget a linear supply for the internet router too.

Thanks

Cyclopse

Yes, Melco too...Will get to hear Melco and CAD CAT against Aurender at some point.

Sencha

Nov 11, 2013
U.K.
Bonzo, you may want to check out Soul of the Music SMS 200 (SOTM sMS 200) streamer. A friend of mine picked one up recently and it sounds more than merely good going through the DAC in his Calsse 800 pre amp. It does DSD up to 256 as well as the normal PCM, streams tidal and is Roon ready. Available from Elite Audio in Leven for £450 which includes a years subscription to Roon until the 28 February (tomorrow). It gets great reviews and there is an outboard battery power supply (another £450) should anyone want to improve it further. I believe there is an outboard master clock coming out for it in the near future also. Somewhat of a bargain, I may get one myself to play with.

Simon Moon

Apr 24, 2015
Bonzo, you may want to check out Soul of the Music SMS 200 (SOTM sMS 200) streamer. A friend of mine picked one up recently and it sounds more than merely good going through the DAC in his Calsse 800 pre amp. It does DSD up to 256 as well as the normal PCM, streams tidal and is Roon ready. Available from Elite Audio in Leven for £450 which includes a years subscription to Roon until the 28 February (tomorrow). It gets great reviews and there is an outboard battery power supply (another £450) should anyone want to improve it further. I believe there is an outboard master clock coming out for it in the near future also. Somewhat of a bargain, I may get one myself to play with.

Yes.

My cousin and I compared a sOTM directly with a Micorrendu in the same system, and the sOTM came out on top.

A bit cheaper then the Microrendu, also.

Tand

Nov 26, 2013
Norway
Ok, I thought rednet Dante was low cost for 2channel. I just want good quality PCM and DSD, with additional upsampling to DSD, decent interface, connection to tidal/qobuz.

Already compared aurender to Auralic and prefer the former x100.

If you can use SPDIF then the Rednet 3 will cost you about 900-1000 USD. I got the Rednet 16 (about 1500-1600 USD) and together with the Mutec MC3+USB, connected with AES cable to my Berkeley Ref dac it betters my old Berkeley Alpha USB converter by a great margin. If you are interested in Dante I would recommend reading the tread at www.head-fi.org. There is a guy there who has compared the MicroRendu with the Rednet 16, in favour of the later.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/806827/aud...-aes67-sets-a-new-standard-for-computer-audio

Tommy

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
If you can use SPDIF then the Rednet 3 will cost you about 900-1000 USD. I got the Rednet 16 (about 1500-1600 USD) and together with the Mutec MC3+USB, connected with AES cable to my Berkeley Ref dac it betters my old Berkeley Alpha USB converter by a great margin. If you are interested in Dante I would recommend reading the tread at www.head-fi.org. There is a guy there who has compared the MicroRendu with the Rednet 16, in favour of the later.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/806827/aud...-aes67-sets-a-new-standard-for-computer-audio

Tommy

Yes I read that. I want comparisons to more aurender level stuff to check if it beats higher priced streamers

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
+1 for the SOtM sMS-200. On Lampi, it sounds better than the microRendu.

That said, sMS-200 (or microRendu) with the stock PSU all sound pretty medicore. IMO iFi Ipower ($99) is an absolute must, but it is only UpTone Audio $399 LPS-1 that really makes them sing.

If you want the ultimate solution, get SOtM sMS-200 with iFi Power and feed the signal to Jcat (Intona) USB Isolator and then to Wyred 4 Sound Recovery USB with UpTone Audio $399 LPS-1.

The system will look like this:

Server (PC, MAC or NAS) -> Ethernet cable -> sMS-200 (+ ifi Power PSU or UpTone Audio LPS-1) -> Jcat USB Isolator (self powered, no PSU needed) -> Wyred 4 Sound Recovery USB (with UpTone Audio LPS-1) -> DAC.

It looks complicated, but is really isn't.

Server is used to store and manage your files. Can be anywhere, even in your basement.
The sMS-200 is your end point, placed next to your DAC, generating USB signal.
Intona builds a firewall between PC and DAC worlds, holding computer gremlins at bay.
Because the Intona is an Industrial device, not designed with SQ in mind, you need to pass its signal through Wyred 4 Sound Recovery USB, to get a new, shiny 'audiophile quality' USB signal.

Since I only have one LSP-1 PSU, I have placed it where it matters most - on Wyred 4 Sound Recovery USB - and relegated iFi Power to power SOtM unit. I have no idea if placing the second LSP-1 PSU on SOtM itself will further improve the sound as I only have one unit. That said, I have just bought another of those amazing PSUs (amazing, as they give galvanic isolation - like batteries do - but offer even less noise and no charging necessary) to try out.

I think this setup is very close to Aurender W20 that I had at home in November. Hard to tell if it is slightly better or slightly worse - only head to head comparo would tell. I should have the W20 at home again to try out. I think those setups are pretty close in performance. Which is no small feat, considering:

- this setup can run Roon and HQP
- is 10% of the cost

The downside, is that you end up with 3 (although small) boxes, 2 PSUs and lots of cabling. That is however a downside I can live with.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Excellent.

How much V do you need the battery? 9?

Also what is the latest on audio over Ethernet, Dante card and rednet? Guess Lukas will be able to add a Dante card into his dac

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Both SOtM and W4S Recovery need 7-9V to work.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Hello Adam

Thanks for your words on the sotm vs. microrendu into a Lampi DAC.

Is the sotm (as a HQP NAA) able to pass DSD512 to the Lampi DAC with it's Amanero USB input?
The microrendu still isn't able to that after all this time...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing