My Tastes Are Very Simple ...

Deepender

Feb 2, 2017
"My tastes are very simple - I like only the best." So said Oscar Wilde in the 1800s - and it is this sentiment that animates one Ed Pong, the driving force behind Ultra Analogue, a preeminent source of master tape duplicates.

The proof of the pudding, of course, is in the tasting thereof ... and it is to that end, dear tape lovers, that I draw your attention to Ultra Analogue's most recent releases - six in all - each featuring the preternaturally talented violinist, Tatsuki Narita, who is poised at the the cusp of classical music's big time ... I **** you not, he's that good!

That's nice, you say, but you're really not that into chamber music ... gimme The Beatles, Blues, Jazz
... whatever ... anything but, God forbid, chamber music, you say.

Okay, put that aside for the moment and let me appeal to the AUDIOPHILE side of your brain.

Ed Pong has been - and continues to be - pushing the audio envelope, and in collaboration with his technical guru, the estimable Tony Ma, has instituted a series of upgrades in the recording chain that have reached such a level of sonic purity and transparency as to qualify as a major step forward - nay, a BREAKTHROUGH - in the sonic arts.

16hz lover

Aug 2, 2013
As one music lover said on another forum, " I would never listen to music I dislike just because it was well recorded ".

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
I will not listen music which I don't like (heavy metal rock etc.) too no matter how good they are but I will only pick the music of I like with better performed and recorded
tony ma

sbo6

VIP/Donor
May 18, 2014
Round Rock, TX
As one music lover said on another forum, " I would never listen to music I dislike just because it was well recorded ".

+1. I'd rather listen to mediocre quality but a song I love than "audiophile quality" music that completely disinterests me...

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
+1. I'd rather listen to mediocre quality but a song I love than "audiophile quality" music that completely disinterests me...

So far so good .. Expected..
Next question and hopefully OT:
Would you listen to good music on a mediocre system if this is the only one available?

Answering my own question: I would and have and am still doing it when the audiophile gear is not available .. mp3 + smartphonePhone + DAC + Headphones on plane, airport , outside and elsewhere .... regularly ...

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
I´ll listen to anything if it´s well made and performed
if it´s well recorded and reproduced on a well balanced system, I consider that a bonus
Best
Leif

audioguy1958

Feb 8, 2015
I agree with Leif, I've opened my mind to music I never thought I would enjoy simply because it was a great recording... and found out I had been missing some amazing music. My audio hobby has been a journey of discovery at every point.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
I´ll listen to anything if it´s well made and performed
if it´s well recorded and reproduced on a well balanced system, I consider that a bonus
Best
Leif

+1
Leif
That's how I have always rolled and still do.

Deepender

Feb 2, 2017
It's encouraging to learn that at least one member of this forum realizes that great music - and in the case of these six Ultra Analogue tapes, we're talking about the likes of Beethoven, Paganini, et al. - not just well played but extraordinarily well played - and presented in the most glorious sonics one could imagine are worth at least an audition. Great music played splendidly AND great sound are not mutually exclusive. Isn't that really the ideal we all pursue?

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Surely if we find music uninteresting we should ran away from it. Fortunately most of the "audiophile quality" music also has excellent musical quality and I can easily enjoy a good part of it. Although exceptionally I listen to mediocre quality recordings just for the music, there is so much well recorded music that I like that I can not see any reason to listen for mediocre quality recordings. As many other people, I have more recordings than free time to listen to them ...

Jan 18, 2012
Drobak Norway
It's encouraging to learn that at least one member of this forum realizes that great music - and in the case of these six Ultra Analogue tapes, we're talking about the likes of Beethoven, Paganini, et al. - not just well played but extraordinarily well played - and presented in the most glorious sonics one could imagine are worth at least an audition. Great music played splendidly AND great sound are not mutually exclusive. Isn't that really the ideal we all pursue?

slightly sarcastic? arent we?
I have many of Eds tapes and plan to buy more, but my taste in music and my budget forces me to do a diverse selection of my wide and tolerant musical taste
best
Leif

audioguy1958

Feb 8, 2015
I actually can't wait to get these new releases, especially considering they were done with the new power supply. Tatsuki Narita is an amazing talent, I hope he gets the recognition he deserves.

Last edited:

tony ky ma

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2010
Whitby Ontario Canada
I actually can't wait to get these new releases, especially considering they were done with the new power supply. Tatsuki Narita is an amazing talent, I hope he gets the recognition he deserves.

Hi Mike
I hope you will find out the difference as I did from this new recording with battery powered when they release, that is the sound of silence , that is the dark silence period between two music signals and you still feel live there not dead. compare to the silence sound from a no signal recorded brand new tape which feel no live and dry also compare to our old recording the sound of silence is sound different, I am sure you will love this for sure
tony ma

16hz lover

Aug 2, 2013
So far so good .. Expected..
Next question and hopefully OT:
Would you listen to good music on a mediocre system if this is the only one available?

I've been doing it for 50 years, as most of us musicians only have mediocre systems. I savored every note coming out of my Mom's Magnavox console as a youngster.
Only a very small percentage of music lovers can afford true audiophile systems. Since becoming disabled and on a fixed income, there will be no more upgrading of components. I enjoy this forum, but being titled What's Best, I realize that I am the Black Sheep here. I can only cherish the rare times of getting to hear a great system.

Last edited:

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY

couldn't agree with you more ! The recordings/performances of Ed's tapes are superb !

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing