Have you heard the one about audiophiles?...

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
In order to get the forum people to be more amicable maybe we should start a thread on mutual understanding? Oh wait...

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Who meet in a bar. They're all individuals w strong opinions, and love to argue all things audio. Over the course of an evening, many pertinent opinions are proffered, disagreements brought up.
But then critically, friendliness normally returns, everyone kinda agrees to disagree, and no bad karma dominates
This is kind of where we were prior to social media prevail, back when give and take were the norm, and tempers weren't instantly inflamed, and egos weren't immediately bruised
And critically the moods and flow of real time proper conversation, and personal barriers, we're all respected

Fast forward to the height of social media dominance and arguments on WBF dominate
Now we have the same guys who meet in the WBF Virtual Bar
One in effect leaves a contentious comment in all innocence, goes to the bar to order the drinks (ie leaves a barbed comment and goes offline), sets off an argument, the first guy returns w the drinks and takes offence (ie comes back online and is personally offended by reply). This second guy now goes off for a smoke (ie goes offline again), and again returns to bear the brunt of even more vitriol
Etc etc etc ad infinitum
And not even the advantage of an evening's pleasant boozing, just migraine headache from shouting at the computer

I've wanted to post a similar thread for a while, and reading the heartsink MasterBuilt cables thread and the sheer vitriol unleashed has pushed me to hit the New Thread button

A little snifter of Laphroaig and lagavulin and magically it all goes away:D

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Oh, it certainly does
As it does w a couple of pints of Samuel Smith's

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I guess we can't easily have it both ways
Ie make friendships and glean important info on gear and approaches to upgrading by liasing online, and have a totally benign online environment
For my part, I most likely would never have gone down the balanced power route and Sablon Reservas cables, both of which have transformed my system 200%, had I not been pointed in these directions by contact online (thank to LL21 for the Sablon push)
Otoh, I have fallen out pretty badly w a couple of guys primarily due to social media disconnect (from my POV) incl Purite Audio, which over the period of our falling out really did sap my will to live
I actually learnt from my duels w him online to develop more of a Teflon attitude, and now most of the time remain happy in my skin, w my choices, priorities, direction and sound, to mostly brush things off
My GF is certainly a good bellweather here, she REALLY doesn't get the spats we seem to indulge in online, and really feels for a hobby based on listening to music, we should be posting and arguing less, and listening more

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Who meet in a bar. They're all individuals w strong opinions, and love to argue all things audio. Over the course of an evening, many pertinent opinions are proffered, disagreements brought up.
But then critically, friendliness normally returns, everyone kinda agrees to disagree, and no bad karma dominates
This is kind of where we were prior to social media prevail, back when give and take were the norm, and tempers weren't instantly inflamed, and egos weren't immediately bruised
And critically the moods and flow of real time proper conversation, and personal barriers, we're all respected

Fast forward to the height of social media dominance and arguments on WBF dominate
Now we have the same guys who meet in the WBF Virtual Bar
One in effect leaves a contentious comment in all innocence, goes to the bar to order the drinks (ie leaves a barbed comment and goes offline), sets off an argument, the first guy returns w the drinks and takes offence (ie comes back online and is personally offended by reply). This second guy now goes off for a smoke (ie goes offline again), and again returns to bear the brunt of even more vitriol
Etc etc etc ad infinitum
And not even the advantage of an evening's pleasant boozing, just migraine headache from shouting at the computer

I've wanted to post a similar thread for a while, and reading the heartsink MasterBuilt cables thread and the sheer vitriol unleashed has pushed me to hit the New Thread button

I am a little surprised you take all this so personally. I do not and i never shout at my computer about what someone wrote about an amp or DAC I like or whatever. As for drinks, well, I will go out with friends, drink and talk about something completely other than hifi.

I feel sorry for people who get their egos bruised by online chat...seriously that is a fragile person!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
You're missing my point a little, and taking my thread premise a little too literally
I'm just proposing that the very same people who have their noses put out of joint by progressively tetchy posts would argue in a more good natured way face to face
And Brad, it's evident from yr style online, you're one w a thicker skin than most
But as I've said, one has to take both the rough and the smooth, and I've gained much more than I haven't via forum participation

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
It's more like this,

View attachment 31310

david

David, thanks for the good laugh. :D

* The picture was too small, I couldn't make it what they were saying, so I googled it.

______

This is the General Audio Forum section, the topic (thread's title) is about if we have heard the one about audiophiles?
I've heard nothing, I've seen nothing, I'm just enjoying life and I'm appreciative to be alive today.
We all love music and movies, and if the music stops, no sweat, I'll create my own. If the movie stops, no sweat, I'll live my own.

This is a vast area, that can take billions of directions. I see nothing, I hear nothing, I say nothing.

Yesterday is gone, I'm not there anymore, I moved on, I'm here in the now. That's all it truly matters.
Forums are to share the things we did in the past; like watching movies, listening to music, talking about this and that audio related, and everything else around it...life.
WBF, just for a simple example because that's where I'm typing these words right now; is not only about what's best in audio but also in everything else, including the communication system. It's about life, it's about us, it's about all life and all of us, including the outside world, beyond the boundaries of our own natural elements, comfort zones.
It's about our examples today we give to our future generations. We're part of that new generation today, from what was given to us by our father's and mother's own examples.
We have tremendous power; we can change, we can move, we can advance. ...Today, for a better tomorrow, a better planet for our children, with solid values.
It's all of us, right here right now, who can make all that difference for what's best.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
It's like trying to watch a cricket match in a bar with an American, likely won't work.

Ked, no American would ever watch a cricket match in a bar if for no other reason than nobody would stay in the bar for 2-3 days until the match is over! We could however discuss audio in a bar for 2-3 days....

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ked, no American would ever watch a cricket match in a bar if for no other reason than nobody would stay in the bar for 2-3 days until the match is over! We could however discuss audio in a bar for 2-3 days....

5 days Marty. It's a complex sport. American sports are more like plug and play systems, no fun of a complex set up

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
5 days Marty. It's a complex sport (cricket). American sports are more like plug and play systems, no fun of a complex set up

About chess tournaments? ...Best of ten.

* When I go to a bar I go there to play pool, while the strippers play pole. Sometimes they have a big screen with big boxing fights. Sometimes the fights they are outside the screen, right inside the bar, and with more than just two fighters.
I like playing darts too. And some bars they have good food. Forums are like bars, like taverns; places to relax while having a light snack and drink.

Is this thread about bars? ...What people talk about and do in bars?

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
5 days Marty. It's a complex sport. American sports are more like plug and play systems, no fun of a complex set up

Ya got me, buddy :)
But watch out. Roger Goddell wants to expand the NFL to London. It might be wise to invest an UK NFL sportswear franchise now.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
NFL going to be playing twice a year at White Hart Lane, when the home ground of my club Tottenham Hotspur in N. London gets redeveloped next season

My proposition was for the kind of high class joint that we might meet in v the virtual equivalent
Like disagreeing about audio, we can disagree about where we might meet to talk about it

But sure, in a bar, audio is about the last thing I'd choose to chat about, more likely to discuss the crappy beer most people choose to get plastered on, amongst other things

Sencha

Nov 11, 2013
U.K.
Something many people don't know is that kindness is good for us! No seriously, it releases oxytocin in the body which has a wonderful effect on many body systems. For instance it is known to reduce blood pressure, improves cardiovascular health, digestion, angiogenesis (growth of blood vessels), cardiomyogenesis (growth of heart muscle) as well as being anti-inflammatory. Oxytocin is only released through love and kindness so if you want to improve your chances of living a long and healthy life it may do us well to refrain from living the life of a 'keyboard warrior' and spread a little kindness instead.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Some people have too much testosterone and prefer the adrenalin compared to oxytocin

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Sencha, you, Northstar and 853guy are going to have to form a little forum sub group, you're pretty much of the same upbeat sunny disposition (useful in the wilds of the N. Sea, you know what I mean I'm sure)
But you are aware, there'll be those on here who argue re a euphonic oxytocin hit, ie takes you right out of it, but not exactly pure, and those who prefer a much more neutral, easily replicable high
Btw, you still owe me LOL that visit
Mahavishnu Orchestra, Return To Forever, Weather Report, 70s Electric Miles Davis, plus some worthy modern day successors, lined up on my tt and cdp for us both

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Yep Ked, changing those 242 tubes in and out of yr GG ad infinitum on yr trials is a great adrenaline boost

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Yep Ked, changing those 242 tubes in and out of yr GG ad infinitum on yr trials is a great adrenaline boost

I guess generating self-masturbation threads on what you should or shouldn't do next must be the thing for you. Testosterone up this week, I want to stream; Down next week, I want to stay status quo.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Oh Ked, I keep masturbation as seperate from audio as poss
Unlike you I really wouldn't want to combine it w tube swapping and have an accident w those 242s
And what is it w the "self" prefix, personally this hobby populated often by guys sitting on their own in darkened rooms, "self" is a bit of a truism

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing