My Oscar Predictions For 2017

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
I would think that one would simply be able to read the card, realize it was the wrong one, remember that Emma Stone just won for Best Actress a few minutes earlier, and then announce that he was given the wrong card and wait until the correct one was handed to him. Not that difficult, unless you are Warren Beaty, apparently. Yes, it was some guy's fault for handing him the wrong card, but most people could have easily adjusted, asked for the correct card before making the wrong public announcement, and all would have been fine. It was pretty funny to watch the rerun though.

agreed, while I didn't watch it live, the news coverage had me laughing today.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
I would think that one would simply be able to read the card, realize it was the wrong one, remember that Emma Stone just won for Best Actress a few minutes earlier, and then announce that he was given the wrong card and wait until the correct one was handed to him. Not that difficult, unless you are Warren Beaty, apparently. Yes, it was some guy's fault for handing him the wrong card, but most people could have easily adjusted, asked for the correct card before making the wrong public announcement, and all would have been fine. It was pretty funny to watch the rerun though.

True, that's why he was looking for another card in the envelope. And he waited and waited, hoping that some staff would come up on stage and give him the right card (unconsciously, but still with reactive gestures and facials). Put yourself in his real shoes; it is simply impossible @ 100%
And he didn't even dare to say what was the card saying, so he passed it along to Faye, because she put pressure on him; natural man instinct when pressured by a woman.

Remember too, this is Oscar nights, all dressed up and putting your best face. Plus the biggest Oscar of the night...nervousness is in the air.
And Warren and Faye too are not 35-years old, they are 79 (80 next month) and 76 respectively.

Bonnie and Clyde are swell people; it's the other guy with the other girl handling the cards who screwed up by not communicating well between each other.
Human mistakes are forgiven only in La La Land. Any other place they'll electrocute you or hang you or inject you throw rocks @ you or whatever they like to do with you when they think you committed a fault that they deem unforgivable. And if you live in the same town as Steven Avery was living in, you better watch your back from the police.

Yes, it's the best way to take it...with humor. The damage is done and the only way to deal with it is as you just said. After all, it's only Hollywood movies.
The true winners, for me, were the movie tour bus people who came in for a visit and shake hands and kisses with the Hollywood movie stars.
These simple people like all of us who love movies too, were the true real life stars. This was a real movie, fun with good laughter from the heart...happiness.
______

* Extra (another mistake of importance): http://www.nydailynews.com/entertai...o-costume-designer-memoriam-article-1.2983417
______

Last night was quite different than the usual routine. It gave us another look, one more night (one every year) @ the Academy Awards ceremony.
This is the biggest night of the year in Hollywood, Los Angeles, California, USA. Winning an Oscar statuette is the highest recognition from the Academy members.
It means talent of the arts, the best of the best in many categories of the film industry. Some people take that very seriously; we can tell from their speech and their reactions.
Entertainment @ the movies can have huge rewards, in the billions for only one film, and billions for some actors/film directors. It's extremely lucrative, like black gold.
And the downs are downs; from the lowest exploitation of humans to the full gamut of humiliation.

Meryl Streep is well grounded; she's from the higher elite. When she speaks people listen. ...Some. :b

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
The Special FX category was a demonsterable. The Jungle Book? That movie was freaking awful, and I don't think it looked good.

Rogue one absolutely dominates every thing in the Special FX catagory AND costumes (what ever the official term is escapes me).

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA

Well, he's 79 for one :)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The Special FX category was a demonsterable. The Jungle Book? That movie was freaking awful, and I don't think it looked good.

Rogue one absolutely dominates every thing in the Special FX catagory AND costumes (what ever the official term is escapes me).

This was a tough one. The Star Wars kid in me says Rogue One BUT Deep Water conveyed the terror and Kubo was very inventive and fresh. Good as the VFX of Jungle Book was it was no avatar and uncanny valley for me kept it out of my personal consideration.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
But Brian Cullinan is a young guy (57): http://www.businessinsider.com/oscars-wrong-envelope-2017-2

http://heavy.com/entertainment/2017/02/brian-cullinan-2017-oscars-responsible/
https://twitter.com/briancullinan_?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

That's the picture he was tweeting @ the time, and now deleted from his account:
https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/2970851/accountant-brian-cullinan-oscar-tweets-twitter/

So he's the guy that should be blamed, and nobody else.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
This was a tough one. The Star Wars kid in me says Rogue One BUT Deep Water conveyed the terror and Kubo was very inventive and fresh. Good as the VFX of Jungle Book was it was no avatar and uncanny valley for me kept it out of my personal consideration.

Ok admittedly I haven't seen Deep Water in a theater, I narrowly missed it. It could be a contender, but the Jungle Book? OMG, no.

Star Wars Rogue One made the movie look and feel so much more like the original 3, they really captured the Star Wars feel. The fact that the FX were so well integrated really is a sign of the quality.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
? Humorous Double Feature Design
_____

[Later in the day, Tim Ryan, U.S. chairman and senior partner of PwC, admitted, "At the end of the day we made a human error. We made a mistake. What happened was, our partner on the left side of the stage, Brian Cullinan, he handed the wrong envelope to Warren Beatty. And then the second we realized that we notified the appropriate parties and corrected the mistake."]

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyp...historic-oscars-mix-up-happened/#56fde9c74b4e
_____

I saw Kubo and the Two Strings on Blu and I liked it very much.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Walter Koenig, when asked about his relationships with other Star Trek cast members in an interview:

WK: Leonard (Nimoy, Mr. Spock) was always kind of unapproachable. But a very good man. Sound ethics and a good sense of morality.

Interviewer: How so?

WK: When it came to the attention of the cast that there was a disparity in pay in that George and I were getting the same pay but Nichelle (Nichols, who played Uhura) was not getting as much, I took it to Leonard and he took it to the front office and they corrected that.

Interviewer: He was sort of the captain, then?

WK: On that issue, he was. You could count on Leonard for that kind of thing.

________

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Looking back, it was all just very funny that night @ the Oscars. And some people take their movies very seriously (Denzel?).
The Oscars is serious business in Hollywood.
• George Lucas ? Net worth: $5.100 billion USD (2016)
• Steven Spielberg ? Net worth: $3.700 billion USD (2016)

Steve, as always you're pretty good: Four out of six that you guessed right.

In retrospect:

- 'La la Land' won six Oscars all together.
- 'Moonlight' won three.
- 'Manchester by the Sea', two.
- 'Hacksaw Ridge', two.
- 'Fences', one.
- 'Arrival', one.
______

We're in the entertainment hobby/business...Music & Movies. Jazz cabarets, Classical music concert halls, movie theaters, TV. ...Audio & Space (visuals).
Moving images, moving cars, moving music, emotions in motion.

Bonnie and Clyde, Warren and Faye, right on right on right on. ...Jackie Chan, right on. He'd be a perfect Oscar's host, I think.

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
The 32.9million viewers tuning into Sunday’s Academy Awards represented a drop-off of more than a million from last year and Oscars’ smallest audience since 2008.
The Nielsen company said Monday that viewership dipped notably from the 34.3million who watched the ABC telecast in 2016.
In 2008, just 32million viewers tuned in.

Oscars Karma.jpg

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
Gee, you make it sound like they lost half of their audience. Did some not tune in due to a particular political dispute, sure. How many, who knows. I would think that the lack of any real great films is more of the reason. Still, a lot of people tuned in. I was not impressed with this year's films and didn't tune in live. I did watch snippets on line. Nothing to do with politics.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
And Denzel and Mel didn't seem to be full of joy the night of the Oscars. Perhaps they hit that age where crisis confronts reality?
http://www.usmagazine.com/entertain...zel-washington-looked-unhappy-to-lose-w469259
______

33 millions tuned in; how do they know that with total accuracy...do they check all the cell phones, tablets, laptops, computers, aerial TVs, radio stations through air waves, do they spy on the entire planet?

Anyway, 33 millions is a fair bunch of folks watching Hollywood's elite. And Best Picture...la la la...too diverted to keep score of the last envelope.
______

** 'Singin' in the Rain' (1952) is a 100 (perfect musical score).
______

Bonus ("funny" moments): http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/0/dazed-damien-chazelle-scowling-lauren-bacall-best-oscar-loser/

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011

http://variety.com/2017/film/featur...rs-best-picture-shocker-interview-1201999305/
______

This Oscar business stuff is strange; I had no clue of all what's underneath all those facades. I've heard of some but I don't spend much time there.
I've just read some more in the last few days. I had never listened to Mel Gibson's tapes made by his ex before, until very recently.
I had no clue on many other celebrities and the underground; the 2017 Oscars made me explore the underworld, beneath the surface, a little deeper.
https://www.buzzfeed.com/annehelenp...om-nate-parker?utm_term=.wg9883eJx#.geQOOvB8W

It's hard to make sense of it all when we are not presented all the cards.
I understand why many people aren't interested by the Hollywood class elite.
I understand the hypocrisy, the injustice, the desire to money, power, stardom.
I understand man/woman's weaknesses in a world of exploitation and corruption and false values.

I understand, and I distance myself more and more when I learn about the demons devouring the real foundations of human values; respect.
It's not always easy to realize that what we see onscreen are just recreations by actors/actresses, a drive to make it in this world from recognition.
I should be more informed, and search for solid sources of information. So that I can understand better the character's underneath surfaces, and appreciate the ones who are the most deserving, the hard working people making good movies and play in them, unspoiled in their heart, mind and soul...life's actual reality. ...An almost impossible task for many, I think.

And that's what I had to say now.

Wow, alcohol and drugs will damage you if not under control. How the heck Mel put himself on those situations! I guess he was looking @ the wrong places, not realizing right away the world around him. Many people can be blamed, including Mel.
We live in a world of fake and hypocrisy. It's a beautiful blue planet with many good hearts, and also with few lost ones.

I love movies, I usually look @ them for their entertainment, messages, stories, decor sets, vistas, cinematography, music scores, acting, montage, locales, ...overall emotional impact...from laughing loud to crying deep, and all between.
This Oscar stuff diminishes some of that art. But how can we be aware of everything, know everything that there is in the world?
And make the right choices, the right judgement. Not only we don't know everything but our judgement is also affected by what we don't know and we don't have all the same view on films. It's the same with everything else; our leaders, the wine's industry, the fake Rolex watches made in China, the way we advertise people, clothes, underwear, dresses, Miss Universe, ...the way we treat others, raise our children, take care of each other.
I think money is the devil, the main culprit to all world's issues, it becomes an extravaganza, an overboard escape of reality.
For example: http://www.cnn.com/2017/03/01/asia/saudi-visit-indonesia/index.html

There is instability on our planet, @ all levels; climate changes, disparities between the rich and the poor, blindness, etc.

I love films; they have the power to show and transform the world we live in for the better, for the best.

Last edited:

Mike

VIP/Donor
Jan 28, 2012
Madison, New Jersey
The 32.9million viewers tuning into Sunday’s Academy Awards represented a drop-off of more than a million from last year and Oscars’ smallest audience since 2008.
The Nielsen company said Monday that viewership dipped notably from the 34.3million who watched the ABC telecast in 2016.
In 2008, just 32million viewers tuned in.

View attachment 31347

You're trying waaaaaaaay too hard.

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
You're trying waaaaaaaay too hard.

Mahalo, here's another one:

Oscars 3.jpg

BTW, President Trump’s first address to a joint session of Congress on Tuesday night drew an audience of about 47.7 million viewers, according to Nielsen data released Wednesday.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
The True Full Story in Pictures and Very Clear Text @ The Oscars When the Drama Unfolded for Best Picture Winner

They have been fired; both Brian Cullinan and Martha Ruiz. But Brian Cullinan is the number one gaffer, distracted guy from performing his job.
______

Yes, I'm sure they are both lovely people; but the job wasn't executed properly.
http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...st-picture-winner-warren-beatty-a7607936.html

They'll just have to find another job somewhere else.
______

"Sources told The Hollywood Reporter that in a meeting immediately following the show, Boone Isaacs and Academy chief executive Dawn Hudson were livid when PriceWaterhouseCoopers representatives didn't immediately take responsibility for the error, tried to suggest it was Beatty's fault, and initially resisted putting out any kind of statement. The accounting firm eventually posted two apologies taking responsibility for the mix-up."

http://www.newsmax.com/TheWire/brian-cullinan-martha-ruiz-banned-oscars/2017/03/02/id/776472/

You know, it's not a good feeling for many people, and it's not a good feeling for Warren and Faye.
I feel for Warren who was very confused, obviously, when looking @ that card. And poor Faye; what else could she have done differently, nothing.
A distraction by Brian Cullinan who likes to tweet on social medias, costed him his job, with deserving reason.
I don't like to think about someone to try blaming Warren. It is very painful.

Let me ask this question here: Is it natural human instinct to blame others too quickly in the interest of protecting our own face?
Is it often what happens in real life? Someone makes some mistake, a quick wrong judgement, and no fix.
Here everything is clear, in pictures and from all the witnesses. You cannot blame anyone else but the responsibility of the person who had that last hand in this job organisation; Brian Cullinan. You check all the faces and angles and it's an ocean of tumultuous emotions the last moments of that evening. ...Real chaos, the full gamut of unstable emotions.

I feel mostly for Warren and Faye. I put myself in their shoes. I could feel what Warren was going through. I could feel what Faye is going through.

I had to say it.

Last edited:

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Speaking of Faye Dunaway; try to guess what she feels in that picture:

She is 76, and Warren will be 80 later on this month. That's a not a good feeling for them this entire episode, not good @ all.
You work hard all your life, party hard too, and you get old and you just want peace before you depart, with your grandchildren.
That Brian guy was incompetent, not doing his job. He's not the only one not doing his job.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing