My Oscar Predictions For 2017

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
So tomorrow night is the biggest night in Hollywood. I've seen most of the contenders and here are my picks

Best Picture..... .....La La Land (if there is an upset in the making it could be Hidden Figures as the sleeper)

Best Director..........Damien Chazelle La La Land

Best Actor............Denzel Washington Fences (seems Casey Affleck is the front runner but for me Denzel pulled it all off)

Best Actress.........Emma Stone, La La Land

Best Supporting Actress........ Viola Davis, Fences

Best Supporting Actor........Mahershala Ali,Moonlight

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
I won't be watching this year. (In fact, I seldom watch). Other than the part where Ryan Seacrest interviews the folks and my wife can look at all of the "dresses", the actual ceremony will be nothing short of political event, the winners (and hosts) taking shots at the elected officials they loath. I can read or watch that crap in the news.

As for Steve's predictions, I need to see La La land apparently !

Joe Whip

Feb 8, 2014
Wayne, PA
There was a lot in La La Land I really liked. The way the film was shot and the music mostly. Emma Stone was great even though she is not much of a singer. I found the film to drag a bit and hated the ending. Bigly.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I think Steve has done a fine job of picking the probable winners. In my opinion none of this years Best Picture offerings stood out. None are bad but all had their warts. I like to walk out of the theater feeling I enjoyed the movie or liked the character (not the artist) i just watched. That wasn't possible with Manchester By The Sea, or Casey Affleck or Denzel Washington. La La Land was fun but........ The Lion and Hidden Figures fit the bill for entertainment and the little boy who played young Saroo in Lion was a compelling figure but not nominated. Hacksaw Ridge was a great story and well acted by Andrew Garfield. It needed a bit more control in the battle scenes and a better actor should have handled the Vince Vaughn role.
Heres hoping for one great film in 2017.

WLVCA

Member Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
Tucson
We went to see a movie yesterday that is up for an Oscar in the documentary category - I Am Not Your Negro.

The movie was based on an unfinished manuscript written by James Baldwin centered around the violent deaths of three of his friends - Martin Luther King, Malcolm X and Medgar Evers.

It was a powerful and moving film, very well done. Interesting and emotional view of the civil rights movement in the 50's and 60's.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
I presume that Mel Gibson selected Vince Vaughn....which may explain the choice. :)

As a person I am not much of a Gibson fan. As an actor he could have pulled of Vaughn's role much better.

Steve Williams

As a person I am not much of a Gibson fan. As an actor he could have pulled of Vaughn's role much better.

I'm with you as I reluctantly watched the movie. Noticed I gave no review of the film

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
I think its quite simple this year:

La La Land
Affleck
Stone
Davis
Ali
Chazelle

So let's up the game and pick adapted and original screenplay - I'm going with Moonlight on the former, Manchester by the Sea on the latter. Find it hard to believe La La would win best screenplay, but you never know.

Finally saw Hell or High Water - that was an awesome movie.

Steve Williams

I think its quite simple this year:

La La Land
Affleck
Stone
Davis
Ali
Chazelle

So let's up the game and pick adapted and original screenplay - I'm going with Moonlight on the former, Manchester by the Sea on the latter. Find it hard to believe La La would win best screenplay, but you never know.

Finally saw Hell or High Water - that was an awesome movie.

I still thought Denzel was much better in his role than Affleck. The upset could be best picture although I think that's a long shot

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Last edited:

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
So tomorrow night is the biggest night in Hollywood. I've seen most of the contenders and here are my picks

Best Picture..... .....La La Land (if there is an upset in the making it could be Hidden Figures as the sleeper)

Best Director..........Damien Chazelle La La Land

Best Actor............Denzel Washington Fences (seems Casey Affleck is the front runner but for me Denzel pulled it all off)

Best Actress.........Emma Stone, La La Land

Best Supporting Actress........ Viola Davis, Fences

Best Supporting Actor........Mahershala Ali,Moonlight

Agree with all, although I really think Jeff Bridges was the better supporting actor rather than Ali.
I also loved Mauidan's cartoon.

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
Unbelievable that they would let this happen. Both Beatty and Faye Dunnaway were a joke!!

still-one

VIP/Donor
Aug 6, 2012
Milford, Michigan
What!! They gave him the wrong card!!!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing