Ayre/Ypsilon

jasbirnandra

Apr 3, 2012
Has any of you heard the Ayre KX R twenty and the ypsilon PST 100 PRE what is it like which one is better

jasbirnandra

Apr 3, 2012
I have the Ayre monos MX R older version with the Dart integrated being used as pre (which I want to change to dedicated pre) with Ascendo speakers the top of the line M5SE EW external crossover and for source i have the playback design MPS3

Down Under

Jun 26, 2014
I am a great believer in system synergy and so would lean towards you getting the KXR 20 if you are really happy with the rest of your system.
I had the KXR preamp for a few weeks in my system and found it to be too lean for my tastes.Unfortunately I have not heard the updated 20 version,but as you have no doubt read,the 20 is vastly improved.
I have heard the Ypsilon preamp many times in basically an all Ypsilon system (except the speakers) and it is fabulous,but how it would match with the MX-R amplifiers I am not sure.
As many of us know it is often very difficult to get a home demonstration of different brands.
Good luck and let us know what happens.

Hyperion

Oct 3, 2011
Stockholm/Sweden
Has any of you heard the Ayre KX R twenty and the ypsilon PST 100 PRE what is it like which one is better

Where are you located? The natural choice would be the KX-R. My advice is to seek out a trusted, local dealer to get the chance for an audition or two.

/ Marcus

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Weird that you preferred the Ayre to the CTH-8550. I have a pair of MX-R monos that we took in trade, and just for kicks, I put them in our main system the other day, driven directly by our source (Linn Klimax). Even after many hours of "warm up", the Ayre got nowhere close to the darTZeel, specially in the transparency department. Apparently the new "Twenty" version is much, much better, so that might be something you should consider doing, along with the KX-R preamp too...

cheers,
alex

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing