Need suggestions regarding power conditioning..

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
I am demoing the Shunyata Denali...the short guy with only 2 outlets. Subtle improvement but definitely good sonics. I run my monoblocks directly from the wall. The only thing a conditioner will feed is my LUMIN and my preamp. I'm hoping to spend no more than $2K and the unit can't be huge. I like the Denali but can't justify the cost. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance..

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Have you considered the Audience Aspect?
I have had an AR8 for about seven years and am very pleased with it.
There are different sizes and they come up for sale used, You should be able to find a smaller one around your budget

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
..thanks gentlemen...will research

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
SurgeX. Dave has a version with Furutech outlets. It's the most compatible one listed here so far, that doesn't suffer from potential complications. It also sounds better than most.

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
SurgeX. Dave has a version with Furutech outlets. It's the most compatible one listed here so far, that doesn't suffer from potential complications. It also sounds better than most.

..looks as if it provides protection but does it actually improve sonics?

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Yes it does, it does attenuate some noise. Most importantly it does it without creating other drawbacks.

Cincy2

VIP/Donor
Jun 2, 2016
Tampa, Florida
Over the years I've owned several different Shunyata products. They were all effective. The system I currently use doesn't filter at all and the sound is much improved. The PS Audio family of "regenerator" Power plants, take your wall power, rectifies it to DC and uses it to drive a precision oscillator that produces the pristine power that is provided to your system. Once I switched there was no going back. There are a few models at different price points and a healthy used market that will permit you to keep your price point.

Cincy

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
It would also be worthwhile looking into a balanced output power supply at the same time if you have not yet tried this option. I had a PS Audio P10 which I have replaced with balanced isolation transformers, the result is noticeable to say the least. And, you can save a lot of money in the process.

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
Isotek EVO3 TITAN for big amps and EVO3 SIGMAS for front-end gear; also has 2 high throughput amp feeds.

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
I am demoing the Shunyata Denali...the short guy with only 2 outlets. Subtle improvement but definitely good sonics. I run my monoblocks directly from the wall. The only thing a conditioner will feed is my LUMIN and my preamp. I'm hoping to spend no more than $2K and the unit can't be huge. I like the Denali but can't justify the cost. Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance..

I'm a huge proponent of superior AC mgmt which starts primarily with superior line conditioning. I've been using several versions of the excellent but recently defunct Foundation Research (FR) line conditioners (LC's) since 2001. IMO, Foundation Research has been at or near the top of the food chain since they started producing line conditioners around 1998 time frame. Most importantly, the FR LC's did a wonderful job of improving a system's level of musicality. To the best of my knowledge every reviewer who reviewed these small, passive, dedicated, and bi-directional filtering LC's, purchased the review samples.

It's important to note that some-to-many LC's simply aren't worth owning as they will induce their own sonic harm. In fact, the trend seems to be the more popular the name brand, the more likely the LC's aren't worth owning.

That said, I recently sold my last Foundation Research LC and replaced them with Jena Labs' Model TWO line conditioners which IMO provide maybe around 15% improvement in overall musicality. Which is nothing to sneeze at.

The Model TWO LC is a passive LC and very small, less than half the size of the Foundation Research's smaller LC-10 (10 amp current capable) and Model TWO is 20 amp current capable and retails for $2k. Jena Labs tells me their new Model THREE LC is a significant improvement over the Model TWO and I hope to audition soon. The Model ONE, which I think is now out of production, was about on par performance-wise with the FR LC-10.

Moreover, Jena Labs is big on cryogenically treating their products via the superior full immersion method and though I've not asked them, I suspect every performance-oriented part and cable of the Model TWO is cryo'ed.

To extract the maximum potential performance from passive, dedicated LC's, ideally you would have one LC per component. If you're looking for just one line conditioner, you can still use a Model TWO (or other LC) and just plug it into an audio grade power strip and then plug all your components into it. The only two caveats here are:

1. If you have a high current drawing amplifier, besides running the risk of tripping a circuit, you most likely will suffer loss of dynamics since the other components on the same circuit may rob the juice needed for the high-current drawing amp for complex and/or dynamice passages.

2 If you plug any digital components into the common power strip, you will suffer a bit of performance loss due to the bi-directional noise on to the other components sharing the power strip by the digital component.​

Then again, these two items are true whether or not you employ a single line conditioner or no line conditioner.

Anyway, very highly recommended and here is the Model TWO's web page.
http://www.jenalabs.com/ac-products/model_two-type.html

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing