Sablon Audio Reserva Elite USB Cable, Merlin's Magic

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
Woah! What's going on with Sablon Audio.

Has Mark become Merlin the magician. Why are his cables so impressive and continue to confound all my expectations?

I extolled the sound quality of his Reserva (2017) USB cable not two months ago and was so taken aback by the jump in sound quality that I used expletives, very unlike me, in my short post.
Additional comments by Edward Hsu of Sound Galleries Monaco, Mike Lavigne and Audiophile Bill confirmed what I was hearing. An expansive soundstage with, what I can only describe as, Gravitas. A solidity to the presentation that elicited that big wide grin. Couple that with lower noise floor and increased resolution it was at least +50% on the original Reserva USB cable.

Well Mark continued to refine and experiment with his Reserva 2017 cable and has now confirmed that it is 'finalised'.
I have now had this 'finalised' cable; named Reserva Elite, joining the Sablon Elite range, in my system for two days and it is just outstanding.

How can this be? How can the noise floor be reduced still further to zero?
It is simply remarkable how the soundstage has expanded in all directions, solidity of performers, now holographic in detail, and a reality to both vocals and instruments that is breathtaking.

I'm currently playing Agnes Obel, Citizen of Glass and the punch, physicality and realism of this music is beyond words.

Mark said it was another +50% - 75% increase in perceived improvement and as usual I take it with a pinch of salt but honestly I now have to believe every word he says in the future.

This is a world class USB cable.
If you have a Sablon Reserva USB you must get it upgraded a.s.a.p. before Mark runs out of 'pixie dust' or 'Merlin's magic'.

I can't thank him enough for producing a cable that brings me so much musical pleasure.

Blue58

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Barry, the last time you were this enthused was when I brought over some bottles of finest Real Ale
When I see you tmrw to hear these impvts, I'll be v happy to post online Mark has hit the ball out of the stadium

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Well, taking a well earned coffee break at Barry's, so a good juncture to leave some comments on the upgraded Reserva USB
No a/b needed w the prev USB, I'm pretty familiar w his core sound and how it's evolved over time, incl the previous iteration of standard Reserva USB
The first thing to say, is that the new USB really brings an amazing level of natural warmth to the sound
Not the kind of fuzziness which initially sounds appealing but then reveals itself as a cloying colouration, but the sound of woodiness and harmonics present in real music making
This is then reinforced w transparency that extends all the way backwards, and really lets the music breathe
It's no exaggeration to say this cable is the single biggest upgrade in his sound since he went over to the SGM, and that's saying a lot as his sound has been truly stellar and has evolved stage by stage over time
Ps that ball has been hit out of the stadium, and atm is sailing past the car park

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I'm currently playing Agnes Obel, Citizen of Glass and the punch, physicality and realism of this music is beyond words.
Regardless of what cable you use :), that is one well recorded album with superb music to boot.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
How much are those USB cables ?

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
$400 for 0.8m

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
$400 unpowered version +$250 for the Elite upgrade.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Never was $250 extra worth spending more on
One of the biggest upgrades I've ever heard in audio, and by definition, the greatest Bang For Your Buck/Pound/Euro

murphys33

Sep 28, 2011
his website appears to be inaccessible - has anyone mark cole's email? I would like to trial or order this usb cable.

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK

joaovieira

Feb 16, 2013
Brazil

Blue58, I will be at Sablon with Mark to get my USB Elite and 5 update power cables. I will travel tonight to Europe and couldn't miss the opportunity to get mine and update the PC.
Is the Ethernet cable making such a difference? What cable did you use before?

Blue58

Jan 20, 2013
London, UK
Blue58, I will be at Sablon with Mark to get my USB Elite and 5 update power cables. I will travel tonight to Europe and couldn't miss the opportunity to get mine and update the PC.
Is the Ethernet cable making such a difference? What cable did you use before?
Hello joaovieira,
Safe journey to Europe though you'll find it much colder this weekend.

FWIW, I replaced a Meicord Ethernet cable which was highly recommended by the press wthough it was a stop-gap until Mark built me a Reserva Ethernet. There was an improvement in SQ but not as great as the improvements provided by other Sablon cables.
Could this be because I only have a 2 metre cable to a wifi extender and not one that connects directly to a noisy router?
The USB upgraded is out of this world.
Cheers

joaovieira

Feb 16, 2013
Brazil
Hello joaovieira,
Safe journey to Europe though you'll find it much colder this weekend.

FWIW, I replaced a Meicord Ethernet cable which was highly recommended by the press wthough it was a stop-gap until Mark built me a Reserva Ethernet. There was an improvement in SQ but not as great as the improvements provided by other Sablon cables.
Could this be because I only have a 2 metre cable to a wifi extender and not one that connects directly to a noisy router?
The USB upgraded is out of this world.
Cheers

Thank you very much for your answer. If I wasn't in a tourism trip with my wife I would like to meet you and spiritofmusic when I am in London. But I think she wouldn't be happy if I take precious time of the trip to my hobby.
Cheers.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Don't even let her know you were thinking about it LOL
Maybe next time?

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
Hi,

So, I finally bit the bullet and bought the reserva elite USB cable. Clearly elite in all respects! In this hobby, the itch to upgrade is constant. Not all upgrades have the same impact, though, and this has pleasantly surprised me. Here are my thoughts......

- incredible reduction in noise floor resulting in a spotlessly clean presentation and higher resolution.
- there is now a clearly heard new level of detail retrieval and information from the same music that I am extremely familiar with. My wife has an incredibly acute sense of hearing and is my go to person for a reference check whenever I change anything with my set up. She has been unequivocal in her praise, if that means anything at all.
- Perhaps the most notable is the size of soundstage, both width and depth. But even more noticeable within this is the fact that all parts of the soundstage are now more or less lit with equal intensity, which gives the musical presentation a sense of organic wholeness, not to mention more fluidity and relaxed pace - particularly love low volume listening now!!
- All the above findings are especially evident with music that I am intimately familiar with and playing after a long gap of time. So, essentially, a new sense of enjoyment, which I never thought was possible.
In short, in every way possible, this beats my Nordost Blue Heaven. What beats me is that an 80cm USB cable can bring about such substantial difference!

I have tried to be as factual as possible in reporting my findings and can unabashedly recommend this cable to anyone interested to take the game up a few notches........of course the caveat being the level of difference experienced will depend upon one's own reference point. For me it was nothing less than the Nordost BH, which is not an entry level cable by any stretch!

Cheers

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Sujay, the cable skeptics will be all over you
And your wife for confusing good hearing and naïve suggestibility
Not by me, I've gone down the whole Reservas loom (not USB, I still have to embrace computer audio)
I completely get yr suprise and delight
Let's not tell Roy Gregory, wouldn't want to spoil his Nordost love in
Reservas remain one of the greatest affordable and radical upgrades in the high end

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
Sujay, the cable skeptics will be all over you
And your wife for confusing good hearing and naïve suggestibility ??
Not by me, I've gone down the whole Reservas loom (not USB, I still have to embrace computer audio)
I completely get yr suprise and delight
Let's not tell Roy Gregory, wouldn't want to spoil his Nordost love in
Reservas remain one of the greatest affordable and radical upgrades in the high end

(-: agree....I'm waiting for the brigade!

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Sujay, the cbl skeptics think anyone who hears any difference in cbls is a sap
Maybe yr wife's experience can put that myth to bed

joaovieira

Feb 16, 2013
Brazil
Hi,

So, I finally bit the bullet and bought the reserva elite USB cable. Clearly elite in all respects! In this hobby, the itch to upgrade is constant. Not all upgrades have the same impact, though, and this has pleasantly surprised me. Here are my thoughts......

- incredible reduction in noise floor resulting in a spotlessly clean presentation and higher resolution.
- there is now a clearly heard new level of detail retrieval and information from the same music that I am extremely familiar with. My wife has an incredibly acute sense of hearing and is my go to person for a reference check whenever I change anything with my set up. She has been unequivocal in her praise, if that means anything at all.
- Perhaps the most notable is the size of soundstage, both width and depth. But even more noticeable within this is the fact that all parts of the soundstage are now more or less lit with equal intensity, which gives the musical presentation a sense of organic wholeness, not to mention more fluidity and relaxed pace - particularly love low volume listening now!!
- All the above findings are especially evident with music that I am intimately familiar with and playing after a long gap of time. So, essentially, a new sense of enjoyment, which I never thought was possible.
In short, in every way possible, this beats my Nordost Blue Heaven. What beats me is that an 80cm USB cable can bring about such substantial difference!

I have tried to be as factual as possible in reporting my findings and can unabashedly recommend this cable to anyone interested to take the game up a few notches........of course the caveat being the level of difference experienced will depend upon one's own reference point. For me it was nothing less than the Nordost BH, which is not an entry level cable by any stretch!

Cheers

Sujay, how many hours did you burn in the cable?
I have mine on burning in since this morning.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing