Don’t let the upgrade bug bite you in the “bum”: Be happy with what you have and enjoy the music

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
853, Whiplash didn't work because the premise was preposterous
But it sure was entertaining sporadically
Like a bad tube amp, it failed on measurements, but could sound truly involving at times

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hey Bonzo,

I won’t state why I thought Whiplash didn’t work, but suffice to say it’s not worth me re-watching. I’ve heard hifi components that I feel very similarly about, but need not mention.

As I posted in response to 16hz, it’s not so much that I have low expectations of restaurants (I should have more carefully worded my above sentence), just that my expectations are tempered relative to the inherent volatility inherent in heavily commoditised “cuisine” versus artisanal cuisine (i.e. Coke vs Grand cru).

Of course, the 1 good/364 bad day analogy is an exaggeration. But then, you’ve never owned an LP12, right?

I probably sound like I'm disagreeing with you, but I think we're probably more in agreement than not.

No no, I think we are just bantering. I think the restaurant analogy is more like - if you prefer Indian or Thai to french, chances are you will always eat cheaper. So, if you prefer Apogees to cones...you might end up choosing a design which is inherently cheaper by nature. But for that you have to travel the world, go to local restaurants, and develop your palate. If you invest in your chef and kitchen too early, you might have sunk costs

Seriously, there are a lot of analogies here. I could not enjoy sushi when I came over to the UK - think of Indian fish dishes, and imagine that fish raw. Yuck. And I tasted sushi from Sainsburys and Tesco. But then the more restaurants I visited, the tastes slowly developed and I began to enjoy many varied cuisines. Hifi as such does not allow one to visit various hifi restaurants due to proximity/time constrainst, and that is the problem. Also, if you think about it, your favorite restaurants change and develop over time, as they should, while in hifi some commit too early and sunck costs are too high.

The addictive tendencies of trying everything are similar. Once I get a bee in the bonnet about one restaurant, I have to try most things on the menu systematically. Similarly when someone here gets a bee about Entreq or Stillpoints, they start doing it systematically across their components. Until they find the next restaurant

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing