Lyra Atlas vs Atlas SL

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
One italian reporter that write on one italian hifi magazine,expert and owner of a lot of cartridge,did one test among this 2 cartridges.
He own Atlas since 2.012 and now bought also Atlas SL.

Atlas SL has internal impedance of 2 ohm and output 0.25 mV.

For the test he used a step up Tango that can be select 1:20 and 1:40 so is like exactly the same,having Atlas double output,0.50 mv and SL 0.25 mv.

I translate what he wrote.

The sound is very very similar.

SL is little more natural on voices,mainly for opera voices and more holographic and orchestra and small ensemble is more fast and more precise

With King Crimson and Mahler,for example, Atlas has more energy,the orchestra is more dense and the brass more majestic.

But this difference are very small among this 2 cartridges.

He own also Etna,very similar to Atlas,but find Atlas better.

Sorry my bad english,like Ked always tell me.

Regards
Gianluigi

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
One italian reporter that write on one italian hifi magazine,expert and owner of a lot of cartridge,did one test among this 2 cartridges.
He own Atlas since 2.012 and now bought also Atlas SL.

Atlas SL has internal impedance of 2 ohm and output 0.25 mV.

For the test he used a step up Tango that can be select 1:20 and 1:40 so is like exactly the same,having Atlas double output,0.50 mv and SL 0.25 mv.

I translate what he wrote.

The sound is very very similar.

SL is little more natural on voices,mainly for opera voices and more holographic and orchestra and small ensemble is more fast and more precise

With King Crimson and Mahler,for example, Atlas has more energy,the orchestra is more dense and the brass more majestic.

But this difference are very small among this 2 cartridges.

He own also Etna,very similar to Atlas,but find Atlas better.

Sorry my bad english,like Ked always tell me.

Regards
Gianluigi

Hey your English is fine. There are some liking the Etna better than Atlas though. Haven't heard Etna

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
This reporter own also Etna and he wrote.
He used Etna for one month and love a lot Etna,but after one month restart with Atlas and forgot Etna.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Ked,

i think Atlas is better than SL in Marco system with Viva and Alexandria because that system need energy and power and i think SL is better in my system because my speaker has 98 db and sound is very fast with a lot of energy and SL if is more natural is better for me and i don't need the energy of Atlas.
What do you think?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Ked,

i think Atlas is better than SL in Marco system with Viva and Alexandria because that system need energy and power and i think SL is better in my system because my speaker has 98 db and sound is very fast with a lot of energy and SL if is more natural is better for me and i don't need the energy of Atlas.
What do you think?

Maybe than the Etna will sound good in your system as well. I agree Marco's system benefits from energy and power - but I am familiar with only the Atlas SL in Myles' system not the others.

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
Hello,
i think the SL Version is better for Sut 1:20 as the Same with Zyx Low Carts(0.24V/4ohm)..for me
more Energy and Live sounding in the Music...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing