Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 69-70 Hz problem: advice requested

[Industry Expert]
    First, IMO - Move the listening seat forward & back a bit and note the differences.

You will find a position where the peak is less problematic, although other peaks or dips are likely to appear.

If you are measuring, be sure to do all measurements at ear height, so that you seeing the room-height interaction as well as possible, otherwise the measurements won't exactly tell you what is happening.

Choose the seating position where the room interacts least in the bass - in other words, where the bass is smoothest.

This is nearly always the most important (not to mention inexpensive) first step - definitely done before moving the speakers to fine tune.

In fact, without first establishing this 'smoothest bass' listening position (which becomes the anchor point), moving the speakers about is much less useful.
    Get Better Sound author, CD & DVD producer, Audio Consultant, RoomPlay system voicing.

www.getbettersound.com

RoomPlay Reference system:

(2) Customized MBPs; Curious USB cables; Ayre Codex & QB9 DSD; Schiit Yggdrasil, Belden 8402 ICs & WE speaker cables; Stealth Dream Power Cables; ASR Emitter II, Exclusive; Tannoy Canterburys, Outboard Duelund crossovers; REL 212SEs; Grand Prix Audio F1 stands; various Ayre Acoustics, Equi=Tech, Pass Labs, Quicksilver Audio, Shunyata Research, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Smith View Post
    First, IMO - Move the listening seat forward & back a bit and note the differences.

You will find a position where the peak is less problematic, although other peaks or dips are likely to appear.

If you are measuring, be sure to do all measurements at ear height, so that you seeing the room-height interaction as well as possible, otherwise the measurements won't exactly tell you what is happening.

Choose the seating position where the room interacts least in the bass - in other words, where the bass is smoothest.

This is nearly always the most important (not to mention inexpensive) first step - definitely done before moving the speakers to fine tune.

In fact, without first establishing this 'smoothest bass' listening position (which becomes the anchor point), moving the speakers about is much less useful.
    How nice of you to post here, Jim! You are the very person I need now. I've just sent you an e-mail about my issue and hope to hear back from you.
    Transport: Ultra High-End PC;
    DAC: Ayre DX-5DSD (modded);
    Preamp: ARC Reference Anniversary (modded beyond recognition);
    Power amps: Ayre MX-R Twenty (modded);
    Speakers: Monitor Audio PL300 (mercilessly modded);
    Subwoofers: a pair of REL Stentor III (radically modded);
    Cables: Audioquest Dragon & Hurricane, Wild Blue Yonder, Wild Wood.
    Power: dedicated line+a pair of AQ Niagara 5000AP.

Quote Originally Posted by ayreman View Post
    In my listening room I have a problem with bass at 69-70 Hz: bass is very boomy at this frequency. Is there a way to somehow mitigate this problem without affecting other frequencies which I'm quite happy with? Any advice and/or recommendations are much appreciated.
    You may want to get a HELMHOLTZ resonator tuned to that frequency. try these guys:
    http://gikacoustics.co.uk/product/gi...bass-trap-t70/
    Last edited by Loheswaran; 08-30-2017 at 04:29 AM. Reason: more info

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! Elberoth's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Gold View Post
    You have a PC as a transport.. not using analog sources as per your sig

If your player has a dsp parametric eq section , use it
    Programs like J river and roon have them
    Program in a dip of -6db , centred around 69hz, vary the Q from 3 to 5 in the parametric eq section

You could also use full time and freq room correction like DIRAC or Acourate and set them only to work below 250hz or so .. so you dont mess with upper freqs and only work in the bass
    You should easily tame that beastly bass and more if you want
    +1
    Adam

Speakers: Magico M3
    Amp: MSB M202 / D'Agostino Momentum Stereo
    Digital: Lampi Golden Gate DSD only + Lampi DSD Komputer server
    Cables: AudioQuest WEL Signature IC / Shunyata Anaconda Z-Tron SC

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Blog Entries
    +2
    Audition recordings: Zero Distortion Link; Reference Components: Zero Distortion Link; Own: Lampi GG One-day-to-get: Apogee Scintilla, or a horn (with Tenor 75 OTL ), Preamp to be fit in to suit the gain and drive the power amp. Analog: TBD

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12