Power cables: What would it take to change your view?

Aperalim

Jun 4, 2012
Perth, Australia
Dear Whatmore,
I did not mean to sound dismissive of your valid question but are you implying I have neither imagination or an open mind?
Do you disagree with what I said?
Of course it is not 'difficult', but can you help me understand how anyone else's speculation about what may or may not precipitate their change of mind is to you?
I am genuinely interested to understand.
I have changed my mind many times over the last 35 years and always challenge my own prejudices and preconceptions but what I tried to say in my previous post was that one's own experience is the only thing that truly matters and no amount of speculation no matter how well informed can substitute for that.

Whatmore

Jun 2, 2011
Melbourne, Australia
I'm interested in people. I'm also interested in trying to challenge myself to see someone else's perspective, to walk a mile in their shoes.
Many threads on these "contentious" issues descend into people lobbing hand grenades at each other from within their own trenches. Nothing changes, no-one learns.
I had hoped, possibly naively, that if people challenged themselves to imagine changing their own minds (as opposed to trying to change the mind of others), they may learn something.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Pictures of the noise spectra of an Audio Research preamplifier, single ended output with volume at 65. top - with a cheap power stock power cable. Lower - using a Shunyata Mamba. Sound unit was an EMU, nothing was changed between photos except the power cords. A second run returned similar values with a difference of .4 dB between power cords. There is no absolute calibration, but a CD with 1000Hz at -60 dB shows -70 dB. In balanced mode the mains peaks would reduce significantly. All equipment was connected exactly as if the CD was playing.

Where's all the rest of the spectrum? it's not surprise the audio spectrum is light. How does RF look?

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
but what I tried to say in my previous post was that one's own experience is the only thing that truly matters and no amount of speculation no matter how well informed can substitute for that.

Well said and entirely accurate within the context of reality.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I have changed my mind many times over the last 35 years and always challenge my own prejudices and preconceptions but what I tried to say in my previous post was that one's own experience is the only thing that truly matters and no amount of speculation no matter how well informed can substitute for that.
He is agreeing with you and is asking you to explain how you could further gather such experience as to convince you otherwise. To say that is impossible would mean that you are never open to change. I convinced my children to eat sushi. They did not even wanted to taste it. But after tasting it a few times it is one of their favorite foods now. Too bad for my pocketbook given the expense of it. :) Are you open to such transformative experiences in audio? That is the question being posed.

If you dare not to go there for fear of what may come at you as a result of that experience, that is news in itself which this thread has shown already.

Chuck Lee

Feb 5, 2015
The first power cord upgrade I made was replacing the stock power cords on my Quads with simple #12 Romex solid core.
The sound was fuller, more robust.
When I decided to sell the Quads I was using the DIY power cords.
While he was there I told him that I had the stock power cords so he would have a stock Quad set up as it came from the factory.
Put the stock cords in.
It wasn't as good.
Went back to DIY power cords and those were the ones he took with him when he bought the Quads and said I could keep the stock ones.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing