amplifier question(s) - Small Restaurant speaker system

nizoo

Feb 22, 2017
Hello everybody, glad to join this forum and thanks in advance for any help offered :)

I am looking to install ceiling speakers for our restaurant, doesn't have to be crazy loud, enough to keep employees happy and not annoy customers and neighbours, I want to use 6 speakers spread out in the restaurant:

- Well simply, is this a good idea, or is it overkill? considering it is a (120W peak x 0.707 = ~85 Wat RMS) please correct me if my calculations are wrong. http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/50-14055

The above is something that I picked, I can change that if you guys suggest that I should, however below is the things I am unclear about:
- What is the amplifier wattage that I need in order to run the 6 speakrs? (my guess is something that can drive 120W x for 6 channels) but I was unable to find something like that, at least on that same website..
- I am interested in an amplifier that supports Bluetooth and perhaps give me the ability to add a wall-plate somewhere where I can control the volume and the AUX input, rather than putting the amplifier in the employees hands. (I am also a bit tight on space) - Something like this : http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/50-14825?green=F75645DC-D733-56A7-A92B-C54A1187A336

Please let me know what you think, and I am sorry if my post is unclear, as this is my first time doing audio so I am not sure exactly what to expect, and don't want to spend money and end up with a bad product.

I also used this tool to figure out the wattage, I am not sure if that is correct, but I am still unsure if it needs in fact support 6 channels at least, or I can just hook up the speakers to the same leads :) "I am quite sure I can't do that but doesn't hurt to ask:)"
Crownaudio.jpg

Thanks again for your time

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I am using a Pioneer stereo receiver in my office that powers six stereo pairs of SMALL speakers for background music. It's an older unit that supposedly has 50 RMS watts per channel. I said supposedly, because it was an inexpensive unit, and as we all know, the manufacturers of consumer grade stereo stuff LIE to the customers. In any case, I NEVER have the volume control over the nine o'clock position and I have Niles VCS50 stereo volume controls for stereo pair in each room. The volume controls are usually at the 12 o'clock position.

You can have your electrician wire your system for more or less speakers, but the simple receiver I use in my office does very well and for background music in a restaurant where you want the customers to be able to talk and hear each other, an 85 RMS watt amp is way more than enough. If you use even a small fraction of its power, your customers would not be able to hear each other talk.

I suppose in the kitchen you will play it louder than the dining area because of the noise.

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Thanks Leif. I was thinking a mch would avoid having to series-parallel the speaker wiring and allow him to adjust volume independently too for more balanced coverage. My only tip for restaurants is to sum L+R, go mono in other words.

nizoo

Feb 22, 2017
Thank you guys for your input, however that is a littlebit beyond the budget, I was thinking $400 range max?

this does look like an excellent option though, I really like the idea of being able to control each channel volume separately!

I will look for something similar within my budget :) if I don't find anything, I may end up getting the AudioSource AMP1200VS

Thanks again

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Budget is one thing. Keeping it safe is another. Word to the wise......when you are gone and the cleaning crew is there, if they have access, they will crank it up well above normal levels. While the vacuums are going, tables are being tossed about and chairs are clinging, the crew (if they have access) will bring the volume level to well beyond what it is capable of.

This will inevitably lead to blown speakers or an overloaded system which will render the system basically useless during normal business hours. Lock it up or isolate the system to prevent this from happening before it's too late. FWIW.

Agreed on the mono for multiple speaker sources.

Tom

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing