7 Earth-sized planets orbiting star 40 light years away

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Well, the urgent NASA news conference was really exciting and worth it

The researchers believe that TRAPPIST-1f in particular is the best candidate for supporting life. It's a bit cooler than Earth, but could be suitable with the right atmosphere and enough greenhouse gases.

If TRAPPIST-1 sounds familiar, that's because these researchers announcedthe discovery of three initial planets orbiting the samestar in May. The newresearch increased that number to seven planets total

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/22/world/new-exoplanets-discovery-nasa/index.html?adkey=bn

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Naming a system after my favourite beer... how cool is that. As a young traveller on a world tour I was once stuck overnight in a railway station in Belgium back in the 80's and the only comfort I could find at that time was a glass of Trappist sextus at the local cafe. @16% alcohol by content it made the perfect late night tranquilliser before a night spent on a railway bench.

Thanks for posting on this Ack... Interesting that there are 3 habitable zone planets with the potential for water on them... especially fitting if they are a potential spring for other life forms given the system is set in the constellation of Aquarius, the water bearer. Would be marvellous if our first experience of other life came out of a constellation named for it's connected mythology, that of Aquarius the bringer of life.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Aquarius... now that's interesting. Reminds me of the Hair song...

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
And the dawning of the next age... I was musing the same thing, and humming the tune when I posted... a bit trippy but then again so was the beer made by those Trappist monks.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Fascinating those discoveries apparently those red dwarf stars are the most Common
Because of the slow fusing of hydrogen in those small low mass stars, they live up tot trillions of years ,Imagine how much LIFE could evolve

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Red dwarfs are the only active (undergoing hydrogen fusion) type of dwarf (other types are brown, white, and black). Red dwarfs range between 1/3 and 1/12 the sun's mass, and shine only 1/100 to 1/1,000,000 as brightly. Proxima Centauri, Earth's closest extrasolar star, is a red dwarf 1/5 the size of the Sun, and if it were to trade places with the Sun, it would shine on Earth only 1/10 as much as the sun currently does on Pluto.

Red dwarfs, because of their small size, undergo fusion much less quickly than a solar mass star. Therefore, they use up their supply of hydrogen much less quickly than a main sequence star, and can live for more than 100 trillion years.

Ps to be honest i did copy this :p

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing