Dma-280

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
This is just announced on the Spectral website, with no further details yet.

Reactions: kennyb123

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
It looks like they are trying to make the latest proprietary/custom technologies available to a wider audience, those who cannot spend $20K or more. But I just don't see the point of a 240, a 260 and a 280, then a 300. Seems rather overkill.

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
It looks like they are trying to make the latest proprietary/custom technologies available to a wider audience, those who cannot spend $20K or more. But I just don't see the point of a 240, a 260 and a 280, then a 300. Seems rather overkill.

Most likely a replacement to the DMA-300? But then again the lower number one assumes a lower spec. DMA-240 replaced the 200 so most likely maybe the DMA-280 replaces both the the 260 S2 and 300 RS.

edwardce

Oct 7, 2010
The Spectral website reads "DMA-280 Stereo Reference Amplifier" so logically it is a replacement for the DMA-260S2. The DMA-300 is a Reference STANDARD amplifier and is at the TOP level. Just an educated guess after following Spectral for decades (near on to 4 now, Wow). There is always logic to Mr. Fryers' actions, even it is not apparent to his customers. I look forward to reading the Bulletin. Often in the past the amplifier in this position is the harbinger of technology to come for all of the future models. Maybe, including SV technology?

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
The Spectral website reads "DMA-280 Stereo Reference Amplifier" so logically it is a replacement for the DMA-260S2. The DMA-300 is a Reference STANDARD amplifier and is at the TOP level. Just an educated guess after following Spectral for decades (near on to 4 now, Wow). There is always logic to Mr. Fryers' actions, even it is not apparent to his customers. I look forward to reading the Bulletin. Often in the past the amplifier in this position is the harbinger of technology to come for all of the future models. Maybe, including SV technology?

Nice. So, now as potential future Spectral customer. I'll await more information on the DMA-280 as it compares to the 240. The 240 is amazing amplifier.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
It's great to see new Spectral gear.

Any chance of them making an integrated? I'd like to dip my toe in, but not sure I'd want to commit to separates at this time.

Mdp632

May 29, 2016
It's great to see new Spectral gear.

Any chance of them making an integrated? I'd like to dip my toe in, but not sure I'd want to commit to separates at this time.

I also would like to see that but, I don't see it happening. That would mean a compromise in some fashion. This is a company that sells a 20k CD player in 2017 that only plays Redbook CDs. They surely could have added a USB input but, they have insanely focused purist products. Rather than let marketing and trends influence product development. They are entirely engineering driven. Towards the absolute sound so to say.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Thank you. I figured as much. Looking forward to see what the new 280 is all about.

I also would like to see that but, I don't see it happening. That would mean a compromise in some fashion. This is a company that sells a 20k CD player in 2017 that only plays Redbook CDs. They surely could have added a USB input but, they have insanely focused purist products. Rather than let marketing and trends influence product development. They are entirely engineering driven. Towards the absolute sound so to say.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
There is a better chance of a gold Ferrari single-cylinder three-wheel pick-up truck for the Bora Bora market, than a Spectral integrated.

Reactions: rascs

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
It looks like it has all the hallmarks of the 300 and 400s, more or less; I'd say it ought to sound extremely transparent, with less power. Try to audition it.

Adimon

Jan 4, 2011
I'm totally missed the 260 series 2.
Did anybody audition the difference between the DMA 260 and the DMA 280 series 2?
Is the DMA 260 upgradable?

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I have not heard it

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
They may not have sold many?!?!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing