T+A DSD 8 v. Lampizator Atlantic

Shredder

Feb 21, 2017
My current setup: Sonictransporter server (i7 quad core purpose built to run HQP) running Roon into Modwirght Transporter(max rez 24/96) into Cary SLP-05 pre into Modwright 150 SE powering Aerial Model 9s.

I have loved my MW TP, but I think it is now about out of date, at least for my main system. I purchased the Sonictranpsorter server for HQP because I would like to upsample all my FLACs to DSD 512. At least at first I intend to plug the ST into a Regen and the Regen into the USB on whichever dac I use. I would love to also use a Microrednu but it does not have drivers compatible with these dacs for 512.

I have heard and enjoyed Lampis before although in very different setups than mine. I doubt I will have an opportunity to demo one in my system (although Lampi does have a 7 day return). I like the sound of tube gear generally. I like a wet sound. Holographic imaging, rich tonality, and natural. I have issues with fatigue on ultra resolving systems.

Even though it is SS, I am nonetheless intrigued by the T+A. First, a number of reviews (including especially Michael Lavorgna's on Audio Stream) suggest that it competes with the very best (and most expensive) DACs made when playing 512. Second, while not cheap, it is way less than the apparent competition. An Atlantic Lampi requires expensive upgrades to be able to play 512 and for balanced outputs.

So, if anyone has experience with these dacs, I was wondering how you would compare the sounds? Is the T+A something that would likely work for someone with my tastes? Can the sound of the T+A be tweaked to sound more tubey with HQP and/or the filters built into the T+A? And, keep in mind that I do have a tube pre and I can tube roll the 6sn7s.

I will likely be able to audition the T+A in my system, but not the Lampi.

I understand that AudiophileBill has done this comparison. I am hopeful others have too.

Thanks in advance for the input.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
My current setup: Sonictransporter server (i7 quad core purpose built to run HQP) running Roon into Modwirght Transporter(max rez 24/96) into Cary SLP-05 pre into Modwright 150 SE powering Aerial Model 9s.

I have loved my MW TP, but I think it is now about out of date, at least for my main system. I purchased the Sonictranpsorter server for HQP because I would like to upsample all my FLACs to DSD 512. At least at first I intend to plug the ST into a Regen and the Regen into the USB on whichever dac I use. I would love to also use a Microrednu but it does not have drivers compatible with these dacs for 512.

I have heard and enjoyed Lampis before although in very different setups than mine. I doubt I will have an opportunity to demo one in my system (although Lampi does have a 7 day return). I like the sound of tube gear generally. I like a wet sound. Holographic imaging, rich tonality, and natural. I have issues with fatigue on ultra resolving systems.

Even though it is SS, I am nonetheless intrigued by the T+A. First, a number of reviews (including especially Michael Lavorgna's on Audio Stream) suggest that it competes with the very best (and most expensive) DACs made when playing 512. Second, while not cheap, it is way less than the apparent competition. An Atlantic Lampi requires expensive upgrades to be able to play 512 and for balanced outputs.

So, if anyone has experience with these dacs, I was wondering how you would compare the sounds? Is the T+A something that would likely work for someone with my tastes? Can the sound of the T+A be tweaked to sound more tubey with HQP and/or the filters built into the T+A? And, keep in mind that I do have a tube pre and I can tube roll the 6sn7s.

I will likely be able to audition the T+A in my system, but not the Lampi.

I understand that AudiophileBill has done this comparison. I am hopeful others have too.

Thanks in advance for the input.

Why don't you PM Audiophile Bill. I haven't heard the GA, though I own a Golden Gate. He also has the GG and not the GA. There is a GA arriving in the UK next month, so hope to do a compare to the Big 7 or the GG. I have been a Lampi customer for over 3 years and not leaving, and have heard the compare at Bill's. The T+A was a nice dac when upsampled to 512 but in my opinion not anywhere as organic as the Lampi. Of course the Golden Gate is much more expensive. If you are not going for the streamer option to 512 with the SGM, the T+A quality drops. Also contact Mike, the owner of the Audioshark forum because he is a dealer for both Lampi and the T+A, so take his opinion.

Shredder

Feb 21, 2017
I also PMed A-Bill.

Thanks for the input. I will not be getting the SGM, way out of my price range.

Lee Henley

Feb 21, 2014
England, UK
I've had the T+A DSD Dac in my system for a demo, I also demo'd the Atlantic solid state version, the Lampi is in a different league to the T+A Dac, I ended up buying the solid state version of the Atlantic which has been replaced with the tube rectified version, the tube rectified version was another step up from the solid state version.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I have responded to your question on PM now.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Thanks. Were you playing 512 with both?

This is key because T+A is honestly quite average unless provided with 512 - I only tried 512 out of SGM as I don't have another server that can do 512. T+A with Aries is pretty flat sounding. Also flat with PCM.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Much looking forward to hearing about how this goes for you Shredder, I have also been thinking Lampi into SonicTransporter i7 with HQP upsampling @512. Especially if the ST i7 is managing the HQP 512 upsample OK. Good luck with it all.

Also very keen on your thoughts on Lampi GG v GA when it comes in Ked... these two will be very interesting to compare... well I'm hoping it's good news with the GA, sounds really promising.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Much looking forward to hearing about how this goes for you Shredder, I have also been thinking Lampi into SonicTransporter i7 with HQP upsampling @512. Especially if the ST i7 is managing the HQP 512 upsample OK. Good luck with it all.

Also very keen on your thoughts on Lampi GG v GA when it comes in Ked... these two will be very interesting to compare... well I'm hoping it's good news with the GA, sounds really promising.

Tao, I have heard the Lampi through Apogees and Analysis. When I went to audition Lissnr's Apogee Duettas in NY, he had a Lampi Big 7 with 300b Sophias. No way was I going to listen on 300bs, so I packed my 242 valves in (this was highly inconvenient as I had to check in a bag because of the valves, otherwise I could have gone over only with hand luggage). Lissnr subsequently ordered the 242s (they are only 400 quid or so for the pair), because he hadn't heard his system sound like that - and he probably has the best Duettas Signatures made.

This is his post http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...4g-and-KR-274b&p=425016&viewfull=1#post425016

I can guarantee you that if you get the Lampi with the 242 to go with your Maggie 20.7, it will be the biggest upgrade you will make in your system short of getting a very excellent analog set up. Your Maggies will come to life like you have never heard them. The strengths of panels will be enhanced multifold - stage will go back much more and sideways, and across the height - and the dynamics and slams of the tympani and drums coming from wide back of the stage will be superb. The noise floor will drop and you will hear more tone in everything and the dynamic range will go up, each piano note enhanced. It will happen without the 242 as well, just not to that level. And yes, Beethoven 9th and Mahler and Scheherazade was what we were enjoying, as well as baritone and soprano. The difference was to be heard as soon as the violin in starts in beginning of Scheherazade's 4th movement to the dynamics that follow. The resolution is also extremely high so each instrument stands out in the 3 dimensional space that will be supplementing the strength of such tall panels. The more complex the tutti the better you appreciate the differences. You will really feel a lot of drive

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Ked, I feel you are completely right about the best move for me.

I am so interested in what you find with the GA as well. Other option I suppose is a Big 7.

Think it's just a matter of time... and resistance is probably largely futile. Thanks for your advice.

The description on the scale and the tonality of large classical works with the force and drama of this kind of experience is where I really get what you are talking about the value of having the 242 in play.

Last edited:

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011

Any decent i7 will do the HQP upsampling, at leat with -2s filter. However, the key for most is if it can ALSO run Roon at the same time acting as the interface. RON is bloatware that eats up a lot of CPU resources. There are hacks over at CompAudiophile forum using JRiver as interface to HQP, but it will be far less elegant to set up.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein

If all goes well, I will get a GA for my friend tomorrow and we will certainly compare it to my GG.
I'm very confident, that the GA is one hell of a DAC that will challenge the mighty GG.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
If all goes well, I will get a GA for my friend tomorrow and we will certainly compare it to my GG.
I'm very confident, that the GA is one hell of a DAC that will challenge the mighty GG.

Oh cool but I plan to compare it to Big 7 with 242 :)

christoph

Dec 11, 2015

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011

Nice ... it finally comes... awaiting feedback!

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Nice ... it finally comes... awaiting feedback!

As soon as the GA finds it's way into my house and we find the time to compare, I will share.
I hope this WE should be feasible...

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Great...look forward to reading.

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Thanks Norman and Christoph, it will be very interesting where the GA will position itself in the lampi scheme of things. I'm definitely holding out till the dust settles with this new addition to the lampizator universe.

tsaett

May 20, 2014
Cologne
My vote would go towards the T+A, although I haven't heard the Atlantic yet.
I replaced my balanced Lampi 4 with Mundorf caps with the T+A and found it superior in every discipline at roughly half the cost of the Lampi.
The T+A did also very favorably against a (4x the price) TotalDAC six and came out as close second.

512 is key here, but you already seem to have everything ready for it. I did my comparisons with a standard CAPSv4, a SGM will of course take things further, but a well built computer will sound fantastic with the T+A.

My 2 cents.
Christoph

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
My vote would go towards the T+A, although I haven't heard the Atlantic yet.
I replaced my balanced Lampi 4 with Mundorf caps with the T+A and found it superior in every discipline at roughly half the cost of the Lampi.
The T+A did also very favorably against a (4x the price) TotalDAC six and came out as close second.

512 is key here, but you already seem to have everything ready for it. I did my comparisons with a standard CAPSv4, a SGM will of course take things further, but a well built computer will sound fantastic with the T+A.

My 2 cents.
Christoph

Just fyi, 3 years ago I auditioned the Lampi 5 in my system, and bought the Lampi 4 to save cost. I returned the Lampi 4 in the audition period, it failed to add value to my ARC Dac 8, and the Weiss and Meitner I had compared ARC to. Then I faffed around for 3 months, and bought the 5. That's what I think of the Lampi 4 - and these were non DHT dacs. The massive jump happened from the 5 and the 6 to the Big 7.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing