Merging Horus/Hapi update

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
New Merging AKD8DP A/D card for the Horus! We'll see who is boss against my Playback Designs Pinot!
As stated in an earlier thread, I'll be posting files of recordings done with this and the Pinot. These 2, in my opinion, are the best A/D converters we have today.

Merging.jpg

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Looking forward to it !

Bunpei

Dec 4, 2016
Tokyo
I really hope you will reproduce a DSD 11.2 MHz remaster of "Sheffield Lab Drum & Track" by using Pyramix/HAPI with such ADC modules!

bmoura

Sep 6, 2013
I really hope you will reproduce a DSD 11.2 MHz remaster of "Sheffield Lab Drum & Track" by using Pyramix/HAPI with such ADC modules!

There are several of the Sheffield Lab direct to disc recordings that would be great transferred from Analog to DSD now that they are long out of print.
Would love to see that.

theophile

There are several of the Sheffield Lab direct to disc recordings that would be great transferred from Analog to DSD now that they are long out of print.
Would love to see that.

Direct To Disc recordings don't have any Master Tape from which to make any more pressings.

bmoura

Sep 6, 2013
Direct To Disc recordings don't have any Master Tape from which to make any more pressings.

As it turns out, in many cases there is an Analog Tape recording of Direct to Disc sessions.

I suspect that was the case with the Sheffield recordings as well.
That would explain the Stereo CD editions of these albums that have been issued to date.

theophile

As it turns out, in many cases there is an Analog Tape recording of Direct to Disc sessions.

I suspect that was the case with the Sheffield recordings as well.
That would explain the Stereo CD editions of these albums that have been issued to date.

The fact that there were tapes made does not correct the error in your previous post.

theophile

Actually it does. :)

If a vinyl record is a Direct To Disc Recording it was made without any Master Tape. The fact that a tape copy might have been made simultaneous to cutting the D2D doesn't negate that truth. Any vinyl record made from a Master Tape is not a Direct To Disc recording.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
If a vinyl record is a Direct To Disc Recording it was made without any Master Tape. The fact that a tape copy might have been made simultaneous to cutting the D2D doesn't negate that truth. Any vinyl record made from a Master Tape is not a Direct To Disc recording.

splitting hairs I think with that distinction. bmoura is correct on both levels. tapes are often made from the same mic feed as the DTD, and DTD pressings are used as commercial analog sources for digital too.

one was actually done in my room (and Bruce Brown recorded and mastered it). when Winston Ma bought the rights of the DTD pressing and used my Rockport Sirius III turntable as the source for a Ultra CD release, Jun Kukamachi, At Steinway (take 2)

JUN.jpg

then there is the Jeton DTD pressing source for the CD with Ray Brown and Laurindo Almeida 'Moonlight Serenade'

ray brown.jpg

theophile

That's as clear as mud.

theophile

Apology accepted unreservedly.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing