Zero Distortion: Reed, Thales, Feickert Firebird, and Pluto 12A with Ikeda 407

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
Last year at Munich they had a Garrard - don't remember the arm but before that Schick's own TT and arm, and I think same at 2014 because Schick was operating the TT (at that time I had not started asking people what TT/arm/cart is that, because I was oblivious to the wonders of analog)

I think if memory serves me correctly (and Google is telling the truth) 2010 was the Artemis SA-1; 2011 was the Artemis again; 2012 was Schick's own Commonwealth (modified) and prototype Schröder turntable; 2013 was the Artemis SA-1 with Schröder's LT arm, and Schick's pre-prod 14 (with a 12" platter); 2014 was same again; 2015 was Schick's production 14, and a Franck Schröder pre-prod idler of his own design; 2016 was the 301 with Schick arm in his "Liebenthal" plinth, as well as a Neumann with Schröder's LT arm and Tzar cart.

This year I believe they'll be bringing Edison himself to spin wax cylinders.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
I think if memory serves me correctly (and Google is telling the truth) 2010 was the Artemis SA-1; 2011 was the Artemis again; 2012 was Schick's own Commonwealth (modified) and prototype Schröder turntable; 2013 was the Artemis SA-1 with Schröder's LT arm, and Schick's pre-prod 14 (with a 12" platter); 2014 was same again; 2015 was Schick's production 14, and a Franck Schröder pre-prod idler of his own design; 2016 was the 301 with Schick arm in his "Liebenthal" plinth, as well as a Neumann with Schröder's LT arm and Tzar cart.

This year I believe they'll be bringing Edison himself to spin wax cylinders.

Nice.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) This year I believe they'll be bringing Edison himself to spin wax cylinders.

It would be great - then audiophiles would debate on the subjective quality of the 2 minute cylinders versus the 4 minute ones!

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
It would be great - then audiophiles would debate on the subjective quality of the 2 minute cylinders versus the 4 minute ones!

Micro,

Everyone knows the two minute cylinders are superior in terms of dynamic range, resolution and bass response, due to the fact you can fit more information onto the surface of the cylinder, whereas the four minute ones are more compromised re: surface area and require more compression during mastering.

And yes, I'm kidding. Or am I?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Guys on PTP website it says that his TT is available at A10 audio

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
Hi they are nice speakers. There are two more models above this so the big one might be good. These are not like dynamic like Trios but have a more pleasing tone and more suited for smaller rooms as well, like the duos. The bass is nice open front facing and well integrated. I like the open mouth bass as opposed to closed box designs. People in the market at the budget and size of the duos should consider this. Both are extremely different sounds.
Agreed , Blumenhofer Genuin FS1 mk2 driven by Cary Audio 805 monos were one of best of show to me in Warsaw 2015.
Different presentation than AG Duo's but the same palpability and nearly the same dynamics together with organic timbre.
I understand your preference to horn designs for bass sections but Duo Mezzo XD are very coherent with seamless crossovers thanks to adjustable DSP and powerful amps.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
But those are not the Blumenhofers sited in front of Ked at the demo
The ones w Ked are listed as "price on application" on the website
Ie if you have to ask, you can't afford

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
But those are not the Blumenhofers sited in front of Ked at the demo
The ones w Ked are listed as "price on application" on the website
Ie if you have to ask, you can't afford
It seems to me that those on Ked' s picture are Gran Gioia if I am not mistaken.
http://www.blumenhofer-acoustics.com/Products/SerieGioia/GranGioia/GranGioia.php

Their price is approx 50 k euro
http://www.music2.nl/blumenhofer-acoustic/pricelist-blumenhofer/

The bass section is a horn with bass reflex box and crossover at 800 Hz.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Micro,

Everyone knows the two minute cylinders are superior in terms of dynamic range, resolution and bass response, due to the fact you can fit more information onto the surface of the cylinder, whereas the four minute ones are more compromised re: surface area and require more compression during mastering.

And yes, I'm kidding. Or am I?
:cool:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Ked, can you give a bit more perspective on the Gran Gioia horns?
At €50k, they kinda fit into the price point btwn AG Duo Mezzos and Trios
What were the pros and cons of the sound?

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Agreed , Blumenhofer Genuin FS1 mk2 driven by Cary Audio 805 monos were one of best of show to me in Warsaw 2015.
Different presentation than AG Duo's but the same palpability and nearly the same dynamics together with organic timbre.
I understand your preference to horn designs for bass sections but Duo Mezzo XD are very coherent with seamless crossovers thanks to adjustable DSP and powerful amps.

Hi Marslo,

I too like the Genuin fs1 mkii - funny cos I was telling Ked today he needs to hear those at some point. I could happily own those based on Munich a couple of years back. I sat in there with the AF1 for about 2 hours listening to LP after LP. Was it linear and "uncoloured?" No - but it was immensely enjoyable. Threw out a humongous stage with great timbre.

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
Hi Marslo,

I too like the Genuin fs1 mkii - funny cos I was telling Ked today he needs to hear those at some point. I could happily own those based on Munich a couple of years back. I sat in there with the AF1 for about 2 hours listening to LP after LP. Was it linear and "uncoloured?" No - but it was immensely enjoyable. Threw out a humongous stage with great timbre.
Hi Bill,

thanks for sharing,

Mariusz

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
The Blumenhofer Clara Luna, with two horns mounted above the woofer cone, looks very interesting.

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
The Blumenhofer Clara Luna, with two horns mounted above the woofer cone, looks very interesting.

Yes, right, looks like a strong competitor for Trios with basshorns or Acapellas sonically but with low WAF:)
Also Tune Audio Animas looks better IMHO.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I know that I prefer more than one horn driver covering 800 Hz and up (Gran Gioia).

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
I know that I prefer more than one horn driver covering 800 Hz and up (Gran Gioia).

Me too, but Blumenhofer shows with less expensive models that the design is less important than the application - their 2 ways speakers sound very attractive to me( have heard FS1 and smaller FS3 ).

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Been in some ongoing contact w Peter Reinders, designer of the PTP Solid 9 and 12 idlers
He recommends the Schick 12" as an excellent match, and I know the Schick is a perfect fit for the Zu-modded Denon 103
Now, prior to my current rim drive tt/air arm/Straingauge cart, I ran a Zu 103 on my Orbe/SME V which took the place of my Transfiguration Orpheus
In almost all ways the Zu beat the Orpheus esp re rhythmic drive and bass extension
Only falling behind it on delicacy and transparency
It would be fascinating to revisit my beloved Zu 103 on a much more torquey, driven tt like the Solid 12, maybe thru the NAT Audio tubed phono stage
Just thinking aloud

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing