Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Zero Distortion: Reed, Thales, Feickert Firebird, and Pluto 12A with Ikeda 407

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Blog Entries

Zero Distortion: Reed, Thales, Feickert Firebird, and Pluto 12A with Ikeda 407

http://zero-distortion.org/reed-idle...s-blumenhofer/

Compare notes of:

1. Thales TT with Thales arm and Zyx Uni 1 to Feickert Firebird with Thales arm and Zyx Uni1
    2. Feickert Firebird with Thales arm and Ikeda 407 both carrying the Zyx Uni 1 for arm compares
    3. Reed Idler drive with Reed 3Q and Zyx Uni 1 compared to the Feickert with Ikeda 407 and Zyx Uni 1
    4. Pluto 12a with Reed 2p and Koetsu RSP
    5. A brief compare of dCS Rossini and EMM Labs
    Attached Images Attached Images   

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor]
    Another excellent report by our master "reviewer " Ked-- concise and to the point. good work

I agree some fine alternatives there all punching in the same division which is good for the equations being so.

My only point would be to make sure all the Files open to size so observations can be viewed to stimulate with the prose.

Don't know whether is was just my system(MacPro) but some uploaded same size as the primary posted pics--too small-- one not at all--and one --- the interior with the gentleman seated--opened fine and the sizing correct there.

Just get the others in sync with this and all will be excellent

Thank you again for the Posting

BruceD

Nice write up Ked
    So many toys to play with, you and Ron must have a lot of fun
    You didn't really comment much on the Thales, do we conclude it was the least sound that day?
    I'm aware of particular design issues that hamper the Reed, I'm not surprised again you preferred it less than the others
    The Feikert really is a marvel of minimalist cool design, Pluto a little blingy for my liking
    Looks like a close choice for you, Feikert for unstressed presentation, Pluto a little more insistent
    Maybe Pluto higher torque/inertia?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spiritofmusic View Post
    Nice write up Ked
    So many toys to play with, you and Ron must have a lot of fun
    You didn't really comment much on the Thales, do we conclude it was the least sound that day?
    I'm aware of particular design issues that hamper the Reed, I'm not surprised again you preferred it less than the others
    The Feikert really is a marvel of minimalist cool design, Pluto a little blingy for my liking
    Looks like a close choice for you, Feikert for unstressed presentation, Pluto a little more insistent
    Maybe Pluto higher torque/inertia?
    Hi impressive. You got all of that right including that Pluto has higher torque (I don't know about inertia). It is a very good design probably and if with IO Sig or something might work who knows.

Thales is a clean sound, preferred Feickert. Feickert seems high value for money too.

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! Uk Paul's Avatar
    Fun test Kedar; are you shopping? Hope your well..
    Z:Axis Audio

Balanced Power ~ 'Symetrica' by Z:Axis Audio TT Sony TTS 8000 / SAEC WE-506/30 / Nasotec Swing / Aidas PanzerHolz-Diamond, Allnic H3000 Phono /KR Audio 'Lampi Anniv 5U4G CD Esoteric transport / Concert Fidelity DAC 040B/D /Concert Fidelity 080LSX2 Pre / ZL200 Amplifiers / Martin Logan Spire - Extensively modified. Cabling is by Z-Axis Audio, Reference mains leads, 'Reference B52' interconnects, 'Livewire' speaker cables. Mirage equipment support.

The Reed I was v interested in for a while, but it has some design flaws that are issues at this exalted level
    You missed a chance to hear the Peter Reinders PTP Solid 9 and 12 re engineered Lenco L75 idler drives that are demoed in Amsterdam
    Fwiw, the only analog I'm interested as an alternative to my current rig, esp w 12" Schick arm

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spiritofmusic View Post
    The Reed I was v interested in for a while, but it has some design flaws that are issues at this exalted level
    You missed a chance to hear the Peter Reinders PTP Solid 9 and 12 re engineered Lenco L75 idler drives that are demoed in Amsterdam
    Fwiw, the only analog I'm interested as an alternative to my current rig, esp w 12" Schick arm
    I heard the PTP 12 but in a very small raidho class D aavik integrated system (integrated phono) same Zyx cart but a 700 quid arm. It had depth and stage and bass. Unfortunately with raidho and class D aavik...it's a no-brainer to buy the PTP - worst case one can sell it off at a very small loss after they find their much more expensive dream set up.
    Last edited by bonzo75; 02-21-2017 at 01:29 AM.

Sure Ked
    I'd been tracking Peter's PTP Solid Lenco rebuilt idlers some time back, but lost track of them
    Despite my analog blooming atm, I am aware of certain limiting factors
    This is more in the tolerances of the construction and the execution of the tech
    I really am not minded to go back to belt drive having been converted to the Dark Side of rim drive over the last 4 years
    And this is the one firmly on my radar, excellent engineering at a Real World price
    Peter looks like one of the good guys in audio
    And as a massive fan of the essence of classic analog engineering, reconfiguring the superb Lenco L75 for the modern age is to be truly applauded

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! marslo's Avatar
    Ked, again very nice write-up.
    I missed a bit comments about Blumenhofers, what are your and Ron's impressions?
    Aurender W20->Audio Aero La Fontaine/ Lampizator Big 7 -> Ayon Crossfire III -> Avantgarde Acoustic Duo Mezzo XD
    Analog : Transrotor Fat Bob S with SME 5 , Shelter Harmony , Groove +SRX mk2

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by marslo View Post
    Ked, again very nice write-up.
    I missed a bit comments about Blumenhofers, what are your and Ron's impressions?
    Hi they are nice speakers. There are two more models above this so the big one might be good. These are not like dynamic like Trios but have a more pleasing tone and more suited for smaller rooms as well, like the duos. The bass is nice open front facing and well integrated. I like the open mouth bass as opposed to closed box designs. People in the market at the budget and size of the duos should consider this. Both are extremely different sounds.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast