ELROD new MASTER SERIES Statement Gold...a true surprise; changes the game considerably!

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
Installed ONE of these in the system today on my Esoteric A-02 power amp to replace a 2 year old Elrod Statement Gold next-gen cable as a test.

Cable was cooked for 6 days and then rounded out by David on his system to a full 2 weeks of burn-in.

To say the design changes are major would be a huge understatement....double the width of the widest ribbons used to date and double the count over what was already his latest generation design for Statement Gold; that's all that can be said.

Within the first 12 hours the phrase (which I've only used once before for any cable) "component-level upgrade" came to mind. It's as if my amp had been further upgraded along with my entire system. This is no exaggeration and I'm surprised at the uplift from a single power cord from the level I already was experiencing. All frequency bands experienced significant changes for the better, an already 3-dimensional wrap-around soundstage on most recordings became an even more dense, musical energy-filled 3D wrap-around deeply immersive soundstage on EVERY recording, every note, voice, etc...became even more real and life-like, inner detail increased on most material (already have tons of inner detail thanks to the TAD R1s), musical energy increased in the room and the listener is pulled even deeper into the recording. I found myself rewinding or starting tracks over many times as the surprise factor with this change was extremely high.

I had talked to a couple of guys who had gone this route picking up this brand new cable family in the last month; they were saying that the Master Series Golds eclipsed the Diamond and MBX2 families of cables and simply blew the doors off the latest Statement Gold generation. That all sounded hard to believe (particularly the part about eclipsing MBX2 and Diamond/X2; after 12 hours, I do believe it to be true...

Tough part about the Elrod line is the website has not been updated in a long, long time as more time is spent on design and build than on marketing. My advice is to reach out to me or others using these cables and get some candid conversations going. Also, you can easily reach David Elrod via phone / email; he's a wealth of knowledge and will discuss cables, music, system design/synergy with any serious audio-nut.

It's been a very surprising day and yes, the cable is more impressive in person than it even is in these pictures.

Some basic pictures below....forgive the photo skills :cool:

Elrod-MASTER-SERIES-Stmt-Gold-PC-entire-cable-20170218_122744.jpg Elrod-MASTER-SERIES-Stmt-Gold-PC-main-body-20170218_122758.jpg Elrod-MASTER-SERIES-Stmt-Gold-PC-NCF-FI50-male-20170218_122630.jpg Elrod-MASTER-SERIES-Stmt-Gold-PC-NCF-FI50-female-20170218_122641.jpg Elrod-MASTER-SERIES-Stmt-Gold-PC-Label-20170218_122450.jpg

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
..if you don't mind me asking what is the msrp?

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010

I don't mind at all but will point you to Elrod himself via phone or email (given on his old website) or to a dealer for your region. I am an end-customer and respect David's no direct sale/dealer-only model so best to get the prices from them. This is also such a new line of cables the while the PCs appear set for retail, I believe the rest of the line is still being set price-wise. No matter what, always best to get price from the MFG or a dealer.

BTW...love the Gibson "axe" in you avatar. What a great instrument!!!!!!!

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
I do wonder what they have tucked into the fat section of these cords to result in its Mid-Section girth?

Looks like an Anaconda that just swallowed a baby deer :D

These actually look smaller then some of the other models I've seen which are fat the whole way thru, end to end.

Any info on what kind of current carrying capabilities these things have or if they are certified for there primary purpose? One thing is for sure, there is clearly no end to the madness of what is considered overkill in this hobby :)

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
This reminds me to order another Shunyata Alpha HC. Thanks!

Glad to be of help ;), that's a great power cord from a 1st class manufacturer!

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
I do wonder what they have tucked into the fat section of these cords to result in its Mid-Section girth?

Looks like an Anaconda that just swallowed a baby deer :D

These actually look smaller then some of the other models I've seen which are fat the whole way thru, end to end.

Any info on what kind of current carrying capabilities these things have or if they are certified for there primary purpose? One thing is for sure, there is clearly no end to the madness of what is considered overkill in this hobby :)

Over the past few years (even the smaller mid-sections) have been a proprietary mix of different ribbons whose metallurgy and composition/construction are designed by Elrod and manufactured directly for him. After that, I have no idea. As to your questions as to certified for intended purpose and current carrying capabilities...I'd suggest you reach out him or one of his dealers and discuss. Might want to ask that question of all other manufacturers while we are at it.

What I know is from hearing music; they bring a system to its best potential levels on a component by component level and the system as a whole. There are things I've heard out of various levels of my system that simply did not come out either as clearly or at all starting with my amp, then pre-amp on up the chain. I will say that I've been through 6 other top-end vendors' power cords, and 7-8 other analog ICs and speaker cables with very good results over the years . I'll not name them here but am happy to discuss offline via phone or via PM. In all cases, the Elrod cables of the last 3-4 years beat them hands-down (to my ears, for my musical reproduction wants and desires...so all personal opinion and taste). Yes, they are not your typical look, construction, weight, cost etc,....but for me, they are "it" when it comes to audiophile-grade cables. Also, despite their high-prices they are a fraction of what some cost that simply don't look like they contain anything but a few conductors and a pretty outer jacket (that I've heard many of mind you and don't understand what all the fuss is about...)

All, IMHO and FWIW....

Scott W

Apr 20, 2010
Texas
www.suprahifi.com

Hi Mr. Gavin, The retail price of the new Elrod Master Series Gold power cord is $8000.

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
This reminds me to order another Shunyata Alpha HC. Thanks!

I believe still currently on sale for $900 from Music Direct. Soon to be replaced with another version.

16hz lover

Aug 2, 2013
Mark: you silly guy, don't you know there is no audible difference in wires:p

Who is the famous guy that has the 1 Million dollar cable challenge? I recently read about him and his viewpoint of audiophiles being delusional and not yet having anyone take him up on his bet.

Found it:
http://www.edn.com/electronics-blog...dollar-speaker-cable-challenge-by-James-Randi

And Michael Fremer is going to be the judge? People who have been in a demo room with him say his hearing is not good as he has to crank the volume way up to be able things, same as carrying on a conversation with him.

http://gizmodo.com/311034/updated-j...hallenge-do-7250-cables-sound-better-or-notng

Last edited:

strapper211

Aug 6, 2013
Hi,

There is a major difference in cables.
Just ask people that buy Elrod,Transparent,Nordost,MIT,Tara Labs,ETC.
If you do not hear it you have a really low-end system.
Enjoy the Music!
Robert

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
I believe still currently on sale for $900 from Music Direct. Soon to be replaced with another version.

Dude(abides),

Great cable, even better price; guess that makes me totally insane ;)!

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Mark: you silly guy, don't you know there is no audible difference in wires:p

Who is the famous guy that has the 1 Million dollar cable challenge? I recently read about him and his viewpoint of audiophiles being delusional and not yet having anyone take him up on his bet.

Marty,

You know me,...I'm nuts after all!

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Hi,

There is a major difference in cables.
Just ask people that buy Elrod,Transparent,Nordost,MIT,Tara Labs,ETC.
If you do not hear it you have a really low-end system.
Enjoy the Music!
Robert

Hey Robert....I guess that we are both nuts then <LOL>!

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
Ordered.

Has anyone seen a full loom of these Elrod giant PCs installed on a rack? It must be quite the snake pit with several of these cable bending in different directions.

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Ordered.

Has anyone seen a full loom of these Elrod giant PCs installed on a rack? It must be quite the snake pit with several of these cable bending in different directions.

Dan,

You ordered 1 of the PCs?

I beleive strapper211 has a loom of diamond running around. I have a loom of Statement Gold PCs but also have analog ICs speaker cables. It's quite the visual...

dan31

Jul 22, 2010
SF Bay
i ordered the Alpha HC power cable that is on sale. I'm pretty sure my wife would make me sleep with the horses down the hill if I ordered that Elrod pc.

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
i ordered the Alpha HC power cable that is on sale. I'm pretty sure my wife would make me sleep with the horses down the hill if I ordered that Elrod pc.

No doubt....believe me, I do understand. Every one here is a task to get across the threshold and I don't even have horses or a barn so it'd be me and the dog on the back porch! ;)

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Dogs tend to very understanding as well as great listeners.

Huge plus 1 on that....mine loves most music but his favorites (tail wag factor) are big band jazz and most other jazz. He also likes percussion artists' discs (Trilok Gurtu, Mickey Hart, etc...),
bassists (Dean Peer), etc...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing