Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AT ART 1000 ~ Any users yet?

Member Sponsor Senior Member Uk Paul's Avatar

AT ART 1000 ~ Any users yet?

Just wondering if anyone here has managed to hear what the new top end AT is capable of? It's unusual for sure in it's design, not original but certainly interesting!

http://www.analogplanet.com/content/...p5Q3PEwzL9t.97
    Z:Axis Audio

Balanced Power Supply ~ 'Symetrica' by Z:Axis Audio Turntable Sony TTs8000 / SAEC WE-506/30 / AT ART9, Allnic H3000 Phono Stage MBL 1621a Transport / Concert Fidelity DAC 040 /Concert Fidelity 080LSX2 Pre amplifier/ ZL120V2SE/ZL200 Power Amplifiers / Martin Logan Spire - Very extensively modified. Cabling is by Z-Axis Audio, Reference mains leads x 7, 'Reference B52' interconnects, 'Livewire' speaker cables. All placed on the Mirage equipment support.

Any company that brings out a 6K cartridge without tapped screws deserves to be shot.

That said, their AT33MONO MC is very nice.
    Source:TW Raven AC-3 - Thales Simplicity II, Exclusive P3 & P10, Technics SL-1000MK3D, Linn LP12 - Naim ARO
    Cartridges: Lyra Atlas, Delos, Dynavector XV-1s, Technics EPC100mk4, Ortofon A90, GM Royal, GM Classic, Denon DL-S1, ESC'd 103R, Audio Tech AT25, OC9II, Linn ESC'd Troika
    Phono Stage: TW Acustik/Thoress phono, Accuphase C-37, Esoteric E-03 EQ: ​​DEQX HDP-4
    Preamp: cj GAT, Amps: cj teflon premier 8a's, D'Agostino Momentum Stereo, Speakers: Wilson Maxx3 -Townsend Supertweeters

Their ART 9 is very nice too, so I'm keen to know what 5x brings.

XV-1, you have quite a collection of carts there!

Balanced Power Supply ~ 'Symetrica' by Z:Axis Audio Turntable Sony TTs8000 / SAEC WE-506/30 / AT ART9, Allnic H3000 Phono Stage MBL 1621a Transport / Concert Fidelity DAC 040 /Concert Fidelity 080LSX2 Pre amplifier/ ZL120V2SE/ZL200 Power Amplifiers / Martin Logan Spire - Very extensively modified. Cabling is by Z-Axis Audio, Reference mains leads x 7, 'Reference B52' interconnects, 'Livewire' speaker cables. All placed on the Mirage equipment support.

I have one. I was a big fan of their Art 9 so I made the plunge. I bought mine for 4900 in the USA. Compared to other cartridges I've had or have, this is the least colored and most detailed in the midrange (I've had an Ortofon Anna, PC1 Supreme, Art 9 and a few others.). I currently run a Shelter Harmony on a second arm, a cartridge I sometimes enjoy, but compared to the Harmony, the Art1000 has a clear as glass midrange where the Harmony sounds a bit "cloudy". However, sometimes midrange textures seem too clear (like digital) on the Art1000 (phono cable fix).

I wouldn't say the Art1000 is any more dynamic than any of the other top notch carts I've had. It's a front row presentation and sometimes I prefer the middle of the hall type of presentation of the Harmony. I've played with tone arm cables and this seems to have solved the problem with perspective. In my mind, I imagine the A95 to be similar to the Art1000, though I've never heard an A95. I run all ss with very accurate (self built) full range speakers. To echo the only published review of this cart, it does make other cartridges sound "cloudy" in the midrange.

I think this would be a great cartridge for a SUT/tube preamp front end. With ss, like I have, it takes some playing around with the phono cable to get good results, and even then on some recordings, I prefer the Shelter Harmony.

Quote Originally Posted by stampy View Post
    I have one. I was a big fan of their Art 9 so I made the plunge. I bought mine for 4900 in the USA. Compared to other cartridges I've had or have, this is the least colored and most detailed in the midrange (I've had an Ortofon Anna, PC1 Supreme, Art 9 and a few others.). I currently run a Shelter Harmony on a second arm, a cartridge I sometimes enjoy, but compared to the Harmony, the Art1000 has a clear as glass midrange where the Harmony sounds a bit "cloudy". However, sometimes midrange textures seem too clear (like digital) on the Art1000 (phono cable fix).

I wouldn't say the Art1000 is any more dynamic than any of the other top notch carts I've had. It's a front row presentation and sometimes I prefer the middle of the hall type of presentation of the Harmony. I've played with tone arm cables and this seems to have solved the problem with perspective. In my mind, I imagine the A95 to be similar to the Art1000, though I've never heard an A95. I run all ss with very accurate (self built) full range speakers. To echo the only published review of this cart, it does make other cartridges sound "cloudy" in the midrange.

I think this would be a great cartridge for a SUT/tube preamp front end. With ss, like I have, it takes some playing around with the phono cable to get good results, and even then on some recordings, I prefer the Shelter Harmony.
    Thanks, that's an interesting post. I suspect that the main problem with matching a SUT and a tube preamp with the ART would be you would likely loose the midrange purity...due I think to the insertion of an SUT!!
    Unfortunately, the ART does not put out enough voltage to drive a tube phono stage without an SUT...which leads me to one of my pet peeves...ultra low output cartridges....Ugh!

Quote Originally Posted by stampy View Post

Thanks and welcome to What's Best Stampy

Good to hear from a real user re the ART-1000, I think AT are focusing on the mids with the ART-9 also, though not as polished as the 1000 by the sound of it.. Still not certain about the direction I'm going as I'm about to rebuild the TT and will most likeley fit a 2nd arm being the SME V, (9"), with a London Ref, then using the SAEC 506 for MC's. Ideally looking for a more balanced cart than ART-1000 perhaps..

Quote Originally Posted by Uk Paul View Post
    Thanks and welcome to What's Best Stampy

Good to hear from a real user re the ART-1000, I think AT are focusing on the mids with the ART-9 also, though not as polished as the 1000 by the sound of it.. Still not certain about the direction I'm going as I'm about to rebuild the TT and will most likeley fit a 2nd arm being the SME V, (9"), with a London Ref, then using the SAEC 506 for MC's. Ideally looking for a more balanced cart than ART-1000 perhaps..

I didn't mean to give the impression that the ART1000 wasn't balanced. It is actually extremely well balanced, frequency response wise. It's just that one notices the mids because of their see-through quality (probably as a result of the drive system). There are other cartridges that have equally good bass and top end and dynamics (especially at this price range, they better).

A nice cartridge for an SME V is the new Van Den Hul Crimson Stradivarius, output .95 mv. It sounds rich and smooth with very low distortion and a high musicality quotient.

Apologies Stampy, I didn't intend to make it sound as though you were implying that the ART-1000 was not a balanced cart, I was relating more to my own system balance that in my opinion is excellent through the mids but could do with filling out either side slightly. This may well be a stat panel trait though.

Out of interest, how does the PC-1 Supreme stack up against first the Art 9, and then the ART 1000? And, have you experienced the Allnic Puritas at all?

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Blog Entries
    Hi Stampy, is the sound signature similar to colibri? I compared a copper coil colibri vs platinum, preferred much more the platinum, it was more explosive and sharper, the copper more laid back. I heard something between a crimson at Munich which sounded really good. Was the only you heard explosive and dynamic? Also I heard with the older colibris each sounded different and would sound great only in the exact spot, is that still the case?
    Audition recordings: Zero Distortion Link; Reference Components: Zero Distortion Link; Own: Lampi GG One-day-to-get: Apogee Scintilla, or a horn (with Tenor 75 OTL ), Preamp to be fit in to suit the gain and drive the power amp. Analog: TBD

Pop into Vertere in london as they use a ART1000 as a demo on there rather brilliant turntables & tonearms via a full FM Acoustics rig
    ART is a excellent cartridge but went for a MC A95 in the end
    Name:  vertere-system.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  184.7 KB
    Vertere MG-1 Magic Groove / Vertere SG-1HB Tonearm / Ortofon A95
    Lamm LP2.1 Deluxe - Active Sanders Sound 10c

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast