AT ART 1000 ~ Any users yet?

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Any company that brings out a 6K cartridge without tapped screws deserves to be shot.

That said, their AT33MONO MC is very nice.

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Their ART 9 is very nice too, so I'm keen to know what 5x ££ brings.

XV-1, you have quite a collection of carts there!

stampy

Jan 2, 2016
I have one. I was a big fan of their Art 9 so I made the plunge. I bought mine for 4900 in the USA. Compared to other cartridges I've had or have, this is the least colored and most detailed in the midrange (I've had an Ortofon Anna, PC1 Supreme, Art 9 and a few others.). I currently run a Shelter Harmony on a second arm, a cartridge I sometimes enjoy, but compared to the Harmony, the Art1000 has a clear as glass midrange where the Harmony sounds a bit "cloudy". However, sometimes midrange textures seem too clear (like digital) on the Art1000 (phono cable fix).

I wouldn't say the Art1000 is any more dynamic than any of the other top notch carts I've had. It's a front row presentation and sometimes I prefer the middle of the hall type of presentation of the Harmony. I've played with tone arm cables and this seems to have solved the problem with perspective. In my mind, I imagine the A95 to be similar to the Art1000, though I've never heard an A95. I run all ss with very accurate (self built) full range speakers. To echo the only published review of this cart, it does make other cartridges sound "cloudy" in the midrange.

I think this would be a great cartridge for a SUT/tube preamp front end. With ss, like I have, it takes some playing around with the phono cable to get good results, and even then on some recordings, I prefer the Shelter Harmony.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I have one. I was a big fan of their Art 9 so I made the plunge. I bought mine for 4900 in the USA. Compared to other cartridges I've had or have, this is the least colored and most detailed in the midrange (I've had an Ortofon Anna, PC1 Supreme, Art 9 and a few others.). I currently run a Shelter Harmony on a second arm, a cartridge I sometimes enjoy, but compared to the Harmony, the Art1000 has a clear as glass midrange where the Harmony sounds a bit "cloudy". However, sometimes midrange textures seem too clear (like digital) on the Art1000 (phono cable fix).

I wouldn't say the Art1000 is any more dynamic than any of the other top notch carts I've had. It's a front row presentation and sometimes I prefer the middle of the hall type of presentation of the Harmony. I've played with tone arm cables and this seems to have solved the problem with perspective. In my mind, I imagine the A95 to be similar to the Art1000, though I've never heard an A95. I run all ss with very accurate (self built) full range speakers. To echo the only published review of this cart, it does make other cartridges sound "cloudy" in the midrange.

I think this would be a great cartridge for a SUT/tube preamp front end. With ss, like I have, it takes some playing around with the phono cable to get good results, and even then on some recordings, I prefer the Shelter Harmony.

Thanks, that's an interesting post. I suspect that the main problem with matching a SUT and a tube preamp with the ART would be you would likely loose the midrange purity...due I think to the insertion of an SUT!!
Unfortunately, the ART does not put out enough voltage to drive a tube phono stage without an SUT...which leads me to one of my pet peeves...ultra low output cartridges....Ugh!

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK

Thanks and welcome to What's Best Stampy :)

Good to hear from a real user re the ART-1000, I think AT are focusing on the mids with the ART-9 also, though not as polished as the 1000 by the sound of it.. Still not certain about the direction I'm going as I'm about to rebuild the TT and will most likeley fit a 2nd arm being the SME V, (9"), with a London Ref, then using the SAEC 506 for MC's. Ideally looking for a more balanced cart than ART-1000 perhaps..

stampy

Jan 2, 2016
Thanks and welcome to What's Best Stampy :)

Good to hear from a real user re the ART-1000, I think AT are focusing on the mids with the ART-9 also, though not as polished as the 1000 by the sound of it.. Still not certain about the direction I'm going as I'm about to rebuild the TT and will most likeley fit a 2nd arm being the SME V, (9"), with a London Ref, then using the SAEC 506 for MC's. Ideally looking for a more balanced cart than ART-1000 perhaps..

I didn't mean to give the impression that the ART1000 wasn't balanced. It is actually extremely well balanced, frequency response wise. It's just that one notices the mids because of their see-through quality (probably as a result of the drive system). There are other cartridges that have equally good bass and top end and dynamics (especially at this price range, they better).

A nice cartridge for an SME V is the new Van Den Hul Crimson Stradivarius, output .95 mv. It sounds rich and smooth with very low distortion and a high musicality quotient.

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Apologies Stampy, I didn't intend to make it sound as though you were implying that the ART-1000 was not a balanced cart, I was relating more to my own system balance that in my opinion is excellent through the mids but could do with filling out either side slightly. This may well be a stat panel trait though.

Out of interest, how does the PC-1 Supreme stack up against first the Art 9, and then the ART 1000? And, have you experienced the Allnic Puritas at all?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi Stampy, is the sound signature similar to colibri? I compared a copper coil colibri vs platinum, preferred much more the platinum, it was more explosive and sharper, the copper more laid back. I heard something between a crimson at Munich which sounded really good. Was the only you heard explosive and dynamic? Also I heard with the older colibris each sounded different and would sound great only in the exact spot, is that still the case?

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
Pop into Vertere in london as they use a ART1000 as a demo on there rather brilliant turntables & tonearms via a full FM Acoustics rig
ART is a excellent cartridge but went for a MC A95 in the end
vertere-system.jpg

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Pop into Vertere in london as they use a ART1000 as a demo on there rather brilliant turntables & tonearms via a full FM Acoustics rig
ART is a excellent cartridge but went for a MC A95 in the end
View attachment 32709

What were the differences when compared

stampy

Jan 2, 2016
The one I heard was explosive and dynamic, yes, and slightly warm sounding. Not familiar with the colibri unfortunately. Also the one I heard, while very musical, did not strike me as the nth word in detail.

stampy

Jan 2, 2016
Not experienced the Allnic, but it looks good. I have been tweaking the Art1000 (re setting up the arm plus a new phono cable). The ART1000 really is quite delicate and detailed without any brightness. I sold my PC1 Supreme and had it with different electronics. However, from what I remember the PC1 seemed more dynamic, but I think this may have been due to variences in frequency response. PC1 Supreme was musical but compared to the ART1000 it may have been slightly colored. ART9 just seemed to do everything well, but especially sounded good on lively music, whereas the ART1000 reaches another level of finesse.

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Thanks Stampy, what genre of music do you generally prefer with the ART 1000? My impression is it will be excellent with classical..

stampy

Jan 2, 2016
All that said, I will probably sell my ART1000. My phono stage, though it is ss, changes character slightly on the high gain setting, or there is some other incompatibility

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Which phono are you using?

Btw, did you post a photo of your speaker somewhere? I wanted to ask about them, but cant find the pic..

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Well, regrettably, due to Audio Technica's complete lack of any communication with regard to a possible faulty Art 9, I decided not to bother even considering the Art 1000. Upon looking closeley at the stylus of my Art 9 due to never being fully happy with it's performance, it became clearly visible that the stylus is not well fitted, meaning the arm pivot is tilted up at it's max. This shouldnt be an issue with AT's 2 yr warranty, but not a single response to 4 emails... Glad I don't have to deal with them..

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
All that said, I will probably sell my ART1000. My phono stage, though it is ss, changes character slightly on the high gain setting, or there is some other incompatibility

This is the problem with so many of these ultra low output cartridge designs....the compatibility with the phono stage is crucial!
It sort of amazes me that the manufacturer's still do not get this imperative point! IMHO, I don't give a rats ass if the cartridge can sound great on one or maybe two phono stages...and yet works poorly on most due to the severe lack of output.
I believe there is really no excuse for producing a cartridge that has flea like output...look at Lyra's---all with healthy output and no issues here whatsoever!

daytona600

Sep 9, 2012
scotland
possible faulty Art 9
Speak to the AT dealer who supplied you & replace/return no problem
if you bought a non UK " grey import " they will ignore your emails

had two ART9 myself excellent cartridge & considered the ART100 but head to head bought a Ortofon A95

stumpy

Mar 31, 2015
Actually, it is compatible with my phono stage, however I sold it anyway. Since then, I've made great strides tweaking out the power and cabling (esp phono cable) and I'm very happy with my system, which is equally digital (2 box SACD) as it is analog.

I used to be a member of the industry so I hate to make positive or negative comments regarding companies. I don't really consider AT part of the industry, and your experience shows why. The art9 is an excellent value.

Here's the pic of my speakers. Yes, they look like they wouldn't be coherent, but they are. So this speaker was designed over the internet with another designer/builder (a very technical type) and was made without any listening feedback, except to determine if certain crosspoints and phasing would or wouldn't work. The rest was computer optimization of phase and freq. No one ever listened to it and said "a little more of this or that" type stuff. However we did talk for about 2 months about how it was going to work before actually doing it. smallspeak1.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing