AT ART 1000 ~ Any users yet?

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Ah yes, they were the speakers I thought i'd seen somewhere here, very niceley done Stampy. Out of interest, which veneer did you use, possibly eucalyptus? Thanks for adding the pics, it is great to see your work..

As an update, I did just yesterday receive at last a response from AT re the art9. Am now working out how to resolve the issue which I would like to do as the Art 9 is a good sounding cart for the cost. As I am about to finally get to build the final version of the plinth I will be adding an SME V / London Reference combo, so then the SAEC with it's detacheable headshell can be swapped between the Art 9 and a higher end MC, options here are still wide open though.

stumpy

Mar 31, 2015
I honestly don't remember the name of the veneer. I do remember exhibiting at an audio show and meeting Masataka Tsuda who was displaying a solid state se amp, back when we were both, um, a bit younger...as I see you are a dealer for CF.

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Interesting, yes, Masa is still very busy with his pieces, and still showing in the states each summer..

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
So as an update; I will most likeley sell the ART 9 for a DV XV-1s re built by AJ VdH. Having spent heard one over the past week it really is a wonderful cart. This will probably live on the SAEC 506.

AT did eventually respond to my emails, and suggest that the 87 degrees of the stylus tip is normal and intentional. It does however sound considerably better at just over 90 degrees which is the max angle I can acheive.

Stump

Jul 15, 2012
Audio-Technica ART1000 Direct Power Cartridge
I run clearaudio TT and cart.I am considering the Art 1000 but unlike the Clearaudio cart the needle has very little overhang and Im concerned it will not clear my record ring at the start???Can anyone confirm it will clear the thickness of the record ring?
Stump

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Hi Paul
I bought a Saec 506 to put on Torqueo that will arrive end of jenuary
I saw you have 506
It’s a good arm?
Are you happy with him?

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Thanks, that's an interesting post. I suspect that the main problem with matching a SUT and a tube preamp with the ART would be you would likely loose the midrange purity...due I think to the insertion of an SUT!!
Unfortunately, the ART does not put out enough voltage to drive a tube phono stage without an SUT...which leads me to one of my pet peeves...ultra low output cartridges....Ugh!

Yes, agreed. If it is too hard to get the best out of a cart then a "lesser" cart with higher output and a better phonostage, IMO tube, will get better overall sound. That said, there are transparent SUTs but they are pricey...

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Hi Paul
I bought a Saec 506 to put on Torqueo that will arrive end of jenuary
I saw you have 506
It’s a good arm?
Are you happy with him?

Gian,

SAEC 506 is a very good arm, and yes, I am happy with him;)

Where did you get yours from? If you can, it is worth getting the heavy AS600e mounting nut, assuming Torqueo can accodate it underneath..

I also have SME series V but have not installed it yet, this I will do next year.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I bought from Torqueo
Torqueo has some 308 and 506 in stock,they buy in Japan and restored the knife and become like new
Torqueo for his turntable suggest Saec 506 and Ikea 407.
Torqueo prefer a little 506 on 407,but told both are very good

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Gian,

Looking forward to you receiving the 506 and Torqueo, not long to go now..

You will notice on 506, optimum geometry for 12' LP is different to SAEC suggestion, 506 was designed for broadcast and to excel at 7" single replay, so Stevenson is closest geometry aligment. But, increasing the offset from 14.4 degrees to 18.3 degrees gives better sound across 12" LP, so cart will be not aligned with sides of headshell but slight twist inwards, do not worry, and check with Torqueo their set up too, let me know what they suggest please? What cart will you try first? and will you try SPU for me? Thank you Gian..

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Many thanks,i will check with them.
I will try first SPu A95 and SPU Synergy and then Coralstone Diamond,could be sauces good for Koetsu also
Regards

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing