P1/ Koetsu

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Now with my P1 i am using a Koetsu Coralstone Diamond in current and the sound is very very good.

Next days one my friend will bring to me his Koetsu transformer, so we will try also in Voltage mode at 47.000 with his trans and i will report which is the best solution

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
Now with my P1 i am using a Koetsu Coralstone Diamond in current and the sound is very very good.

Next days one my friend will bring to me his Koetsu transformer, so we will try also in Voltage mode at 47.000 with his trans and i will report which is the best solution

Gian, thanks for the note. I will be interested in hearing your thoughts on the two different types of inputs in the P1; MC - current amplifier vs MM - voltage amplifier. My guess is that the Koetsu running directly to the current amplifier of the P1 will outperform the transformer step-up running to the MM input. Remember, the loading will be important when using the MM input so I suggest you run the set-up wizard on the P1 with the test record. Enjoy and let us know your experience.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Gian

I have a Koetsu step up in storage. I'm likewise interested in your impressions.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I think we will do the test end of next week

Already did with Audiotekne cartridge,that is 0,1 V

The sound was more open,fast and natural with P1 in current than with his top transformer MCT 4818
Also the gain we put +20db that was enough instead the maximum +25 db

tunes

Member Sponsor
Nov 9, 2013
Like Jack, I would also be interested in your "step-up vs no step-up" with P1 findings for my LOMC Allaerts Finish.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
Dear all,

i am trying Coralstone with his mc trans and P1 in MM at 47K

With Koetsu trans the sound is bigger and more depth,instruments are bigger,sound is very natural,and voices are fantastic,seems more natural and you can listen all details better.
I was thinking to loose something in transparency and detail,but with trans lost nothing.
Seems also more dynamic,could be is a perfect matching the coralstone with his trans.
So at the end i prefer with his trans.
Also P1 in MM is really fantastic.

But every cartridge is a different story.
Regards

rsorren1

Sep 6, 2013
Dallas area
Dear all,

i am trying Coralstone with his mc trans and P1 in MM at 47K

With Koetsu trans the sound is bigger and more depth,instruments are bigger,sound is very natural,and voices are fantastic,seems more natural and you can listen all details better.
I was thinking to loose something in transparency and detail,but with trans lost nothing.
Seems also more dynamic,could be is a perfect matching the coralstone with his trans.
So at the end i prefer with his trans.
Also P1 in MM is really fantastic.

But every cartridge is a different story.
Regards
Gian60, thanks for posting this. A few questions: did you compare the Coralstone with the transformer to the Coralstone played directly through the P1 MC input? Did you run the P1 set-up wizard to determine the best values for the Coralstone when running it directly through the MM input? Thanks again.

gian60

Apr 17, 2016
I compared Coralstone in current input and with the koetsu transformer in MM at 47.000 without the set up wizard

In current you don't need the setup wizard,i remember,and in current sound better than in input voltage

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing