conrad-johnson Art mono amps versus VTL mono amps

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
G'day Ron,

Great to see this comparison, have certainly lived it one way or the other...

I've not used the 750 series but similar topology in the older Manley 350 designer's reference series (built by VTL). Used these monoblocks with Infinities and Magneplanars MG3.5/R. This is going back to the hay day of the late 90's. Great BIG sound- that's about it! After a while changed speakers though, prior to having the CLSIIz's. Ventured back into Infinities and this time a smaller system, which was the Ren 90. Once again, big sound, greater speed than the Beta's but lacked transparency compared to stats. Preferred the ribbons, so I kept the maggies since they lasted longer in the tropics compared to stats, such as Quads & ML's.

Preamp used was always a CJ, and at that time, if memory serves correctly, it was CJ's PFR until I eventually settled for a PV12. The VTL's drove everything effortlessly but lacked speed, resolution and musicality. Eve Anne (Manley President) advised to dump the old 350's and go for the newer 250 or 500 series. Another chap at the time, who owned another maggie system (MG20) as well as Avant Garde Duo's, upgraded his Melos mono amps to VTL 600 series, which were later upgraded to the Ichiban's. He just loved power and nothing else! Thunderous dynamics and super fast acceleration from the Duo's but there was no music, just a massive wall of sound that would knock you out cold!

Definitely not my listening taste at all! Few months after, I acquired a brand new CJ Premier 11A, and my golly, was that what I called music! Later on, I managed to acquire the premier 12's in mint condition, and I thought that was it! Until, again the bass bug bit me, and after a while I ventured towards the MF2300 driving the bass and prem 11A driving the mids & highs on the MG3.5/R's. That was it! Until I migrated to Aus and sold off everything, and basically had to start the craziness all over again...

During that time, when the economy was going somewhat great back in home town, I did venture into the Spore dealer and auditioned the premier 8A's, plus the newer VTL line up. Fast fwd 15 years, and once again during my travels through Spore, I auditioned the ART monoblocks and top of the line VTL's, including the ARC gear.

In one simple sentence- "nothing compares to the level of pure refinement and musicality than CJ!"

If you really want to enjoy your music and get that total emotional experience with a superb level of liveliness and realism, CJ will deliver, as they have been for several decades. I also understand that you are quite familiar with CJ's older MV series amplifiers...
The Premier 8's and now the latest ART amplifiers are like no other, to me they are in a total different league. And with the right set of transducers, they will produce pure wonderful music. The most enjoyable systems I have owned and had have always included CJ gear somewhere along the chain.

Cheers Ron, and trust you get to audition the ART's in their true form, you WILL be amazed.
RJ

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Thank you for the suggestions, gentlemen. But, absent some horrible impedance mismatch with the Gryphon bass towers, I am never replacing the Io.

Do you know what is the input impedance of the Pendragon controller?

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
LOL. I knew you would chime in Lloyd. Point is, quite a few audiophiles use the GAT with balanced SS amps and love the results. Mine sounds amazing with the D'Agostino Stereo amp and killed the ARC ref5SE running balanced.

cheers

Did you ever compare it to the Dag pre amp?

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Do you know what is the input impedance of the Pendragon controller?

Gryphon Pendragon bass tower inputs:

balanced input: 40k ohm

single-ended input: 20k ohm

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Gryphon Pendragon bass tower inputs:

balanced input: 40k ohm

single-ended input: 20k ohm

This impedance will show in parallel with the input impedance of the main amplifier - assuming it will have a similar value, you will end with a 20 kohm balanced load to the IO. It looks technically acceptable but you should ask the IO people about it. Perhaps you can ask Gryphon to manufacture a controller with an input impedance around 100 ~200 kohm - it is usually preferable in terms of sound quality using most tube preamplifiers. The JLAudio's controller has 20 kohm balanced input impedance, something that is worrying me.

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Did you ever compare it to the Dag pre amp?

Unfortunately no. The original Dag pre amp was pretty quirky in some of its day to day usage - I think they have been refined thou. Thou, that large dial volume control is sex for audiophiles :D

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Unfortunately no. The original Dag pre amp was pretty quirky in some of its day to day usage - I think they have been refined thou. Thou, that large dial volume control is sex for audiophiles :D

I heard that combo on the Alexandria X2S2 and was mightily impressed. Liquid, tone, swells, dynamics, weight, couldn't fault it.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I heard that combo on the Alexandria X2S2 and was mightily impressed. Liquid, tone, swells, dynamics, weight, couldn't fault it.

Even compared to SET's? :)

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Yes, I agree and disagree with you. When you say "more watts" I say "better watts"... Yes, I assume such risks in WBF:)

Now we agree, more and better, but needs to be checked on a case by case basis.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing