Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: dipping my toe into the ddk flow.....

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] andromedaaudio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by microstrip View Post
    Besides drivers characteristics, the main difference between these designs is the acoustic impedance - the horn matches the acoustic impedance of the drivers to the room air, creating a very different type of sound.

Yes its a interesting subject

After a long hiatus from WBF it was really nice to read this thread and Steve's. As others have said in this thread (or Steve's) I'd also like to extend a thanks to David for his very generous advice in emails. If David is so kind I can only imagine that this is the type of experience/adventure that would be right up my ally, valuing many (or all) of the things that David wrote about. I too am on my way to the horn/SET land, though a different approach from David's.

Quote Originally Posted by hvbias View Post
    After a long hiatus from WBF it was really nice to read this thread and Steve's. As others have said in this thread (or Steve's) I'd also like to extend a thanks to David for his very generous advice in emails. If David is so kind I can only imagine that this is the type of experience/adventure that would be right up my ally, valuing many (or all) of the things that David wrote about. I too am on my way to the horn/SET land, though a different approach from David's.
    Hello hvbias,
    My only comment is not to dismiss vintage outright in favor of the modern, horn speakers haven't come a long way long other technologies (though also debatable!) if anything they've regressed. Enjoy the journey!

david
    Audio Industry Affiliate:Lamm, Ortofon, ZYX, Keith Monks, Audio Desk, Jensen Transformers, Pheonix Engineering.
    Specialty & Unique Offerings: Vintage horn speakers, Vintage and Modern Turntables, Analog Accessories.

System 1: Horns+Tubes+Vinyl and digital too- Listening Room 1
    System 2: Horns+Tubes+Vinyl and digital too- Listening Room 2- Near field setup

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ddk View Post
    Hello hvbias,
    My only comment is not to dismiss vintage outright in favor of the modern, horn speakers haven't come a long way long other technologies (though also debatable!) if anything they've regressed. Enjoy the journey!

david
    Western electric best room in Munich today, made everything else sound broken. Still some more rooms to go though, but the big viva masterhorn or whatever, tune audio at 220k lol, and others left a lot to be desired. Second best room was audio exklusiv stats, think these are much better than Logan and quads at lower price, recommended originally by the late and great Mr acoustat. After that, even if I am forced to rank it will be tough. In a rant mood right now. Better to log off. Big Goebbel have promise, if made to sound a bit more natural in proper setting they can fit in Mike's style room I think
    Audition recordings: Zero Distortion Link; Reference Components: Zero Distortion Link; Own: Lampi GG One-day-to-get: Apogee Scintilla, or a horn (with Tenor 75 OTL ), Preamp to be fit in to suit the gain and drive the power amp. Analog: TBD

Quote Originally Posted by bonzo75 View Post
    Western electric best room in Munich today, made everything else sound broken. Still some more rooms to go though, but the big viva masterhorn or whatever, tune audio at 220k lol, and others left a lot to be desired. Second best room was audio exklusiv stats, think these are much better than Logan and quads at lower price, recommended originally by the late and great Mr acoustat. After that, even if I am forced to rank it will be tough. In a rant mood right now. Better to log off. Big Goebbel have promise, if made to sound a bit more natural in proper setting they can fit in Mike's style room I think
    Western Electric were natural with no emphasis on any frequency band . Great scale and a strong low end with good control . Not the final word in refinement , there exists a coarseness in certain recordings . Not particularly strong at imaging , which may the case at a live concert .
    "It is music coming from another world, it is coming from eternity." ... HVK

Quote Originally Posted by ddk View Post
    Hello hvbias,

david
    Thank you, I'm looking forward to it!

I was able to audition a similar system that I am building towards. Even with the solid state amplifiers the owner was using the immediacy, speed resolution, and extreme subtlest timbral differences/dynamics were readily apparent; up until that point I had never heard all those qualities in a single system. I am going a custom route using active amplification, so two separate SET amps for midbass horn and the modified conical/tractrix midrange/treble constant directivity horn up top. I would like to do pure DHT signal chain through out... but with two amplifiers that starts to turn into a total of 8 chassis.

All this coming from someone that normally does not like the audiophile style horn systems with narrow bandwidth round horns stacked on top of each other that sound discontinuous. The last time I posted to WBF I think I only had the Quad ESL63, I've now been living with ESL57 for a few years and it's made me even more selective of speaker colorations.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789