Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: No Love for McIntosh ?

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor]
    Quote Originally Posted by amirm View Post
    I very much enjoyed their room at Rocky Mountain Audio Fest. See my impression and answer to your question here: http://audiosciencereview.com/forum/...osh-audio.916/
    Sheesh at least it must've been better than the Half ballroom they had at Newport couple of years back--truly woeful

BruceD

Quote Originally Posted by FrantzM View Post
    Mac often elicit envy: They are the brand that non-audiophiles most easily recognize as High End Audio .. Once the non-audiophile gets past the mention of Bose, next comes Mac Intosh ... Worldwide
    Bose to McIntosh .... Now THAT is a leap of serious length. But, like you, I do detect a bit of "snobbery" when downplaying the McIntosh brand.

When I lived in Atlanta the first time in the 1960's (yes, I am THAT old) there was a high end store called "High Fidelity Sight and Sound" - an audio and camera shop (waaaaaay pre home theater), run by a guy with a very strong accent. He was a huge Mac dealer. He pronounced McIntosh as "Mick-In-Tish" with the emphasis on the "In".

I have an acquaintance who runs Macs on his system and it sounds fabulous - including the MX160 surround processor.
    “Audio as a hobby is dying, largely by its own hand. As far as the real world is concerned, high-end audio lost its credibility during the 1980s, when it flatly refused to submit to the kind of basic honesty controls (double-blind testing, for example) that had legitimized every other serious scientific endeavor since Pascal. [This refusal] is a source of endless derisive amusement among rational people and of perpetual embarrassment for me” - Gordon Holt

Quote Originally Posted by Folsom View Post
    This is pretty insulting.
    my apologies, not the intent.

Maybe it's confusing to most that audiophile has taken on the meaning of people with tastes to achieve the best sound, but it has... it's not so literal anymore.
    The problem with certain 'audiophiles' is that the emotional connection becomes greater with their 'gear' than it does the music and that IS ridiculous !

Now with that being said the intelligent audiophile understands that the 'gear' is merely the conduit through which the music flows. Synergy of ones 'gear' and the listening environment in which it plays is without question important, for just throwing $$ at 'audio jewelry' is not the answer and I'll bet the majority here know that !
    Cheers - Dave

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! still-one's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ddk View Post
    In the good old days tube Macs albeit dark, colored, and somewhat muddy sounding created great atmosphere and mood for the music that's why they were so loved by Jazz lovers in the Far East. Stick an EMT, Garrard 301/401 or Thorens TD124 with SME 3012 & a vintage SPU at the front with pair of Klipsch corner horns or iconic JBL and you'll have more magic & emotion than majority of the high end systems of today. Unfortunately today's Macs have inherited nothing besides the name and industrial design from the great old ones, the new ones are made by the same people who manufacture the current Marantz, Denon, etc. for the mass market, it's just a name...

david
    Your really aren't up to date are you. You are several years behind.
    Jim
    Speakers:Alexandria X2- Series 2, AMP''s-D'Agostino Momentum mono blocks, Pre-Amp:D'Agostino Momentum Phono Stage Esoteric E-03 Sources :dCS Rossini , SME 20/3, Cabling/Interconnects:Transparent Opus SC and Interconnects, Power Delivery Shunyata Denali

Quote Originally Posted by still-one View Post
    Your really aren't up to date are you. You are several years behind.
    I'm not! I know the company changed hands few times in the last several years but it's always investment groups! I see & hear Mac gear all the time they're not a rarity by any stretch of imagination.

david
    Audio Industry Affiliate:Lamm, Ortofon, ZYX, Keith Monks, Audio Desk, Jensen Transformers, Pheonix Engineering.
    Specialty & Unique Offerings: Vintage horn speakers, Vintage and Modern Turntables, Analog Accessories.

System 1: Horns+Tubes+Vinyl and digital too- Listening Room 1
    System 2: Horns+Tubes+Vinyl and digital too- Listening Room 2- Near field setup

Quote Originally Posted by twitch View Post
    The problem with certain 'audiophiles' is that the emotional connection becomes greater with their 'gear' than it does the music and that IS ridiculous !
    !
    I use to be more worried about that. But now I just accept that people are having fun however they want and there's nothing wrong with that.

I'm not! I know the company changed hands few times in the last several years but it's always investment groups! I see & hear Mac gear all the time they're not a rarity by any stretch of imagination.

david
    Their products save for possibly a HT processor had little or anything to do with Denon or Marantz. Several years ago their was a MBO by the head of Fine Sounds and Charlie Randall with the support of investment money. The group is acting independent.
    Jim
    Speakers:Alexandria X2- Series 2, AMP''s-D'Agostino Momentum mono blocks, Pre-Amp:D'Agostino Momentum Phono Stage Esoteric E-03 Sources :dCS Rossini , SME 20/3, Cabling/Interconnects:Transparent Opus SC and Interconnects, Power Delivery Shunyata Denali

I'm not! I know the company changed hands few times in the last several years but it's always investment groups!
    I could be mistaken but did not ARC go through the same thing ?

I see & hear Mac gear all the time they're not a rarity by any stretch of imagination.

david
    so, does something have to be 'rare' to sound good ?
    Cheers - Dave

Quote Originally Posted by twitch View Post
    I could be mistaken but did not ARC go through the same thing ?

so, does something have to be 'rare' to sound good ?
    ARC along with Wadia, Sonus Faber and Sumiko Subwoofers are all part of The McIntosh Group.
    Jim

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123