No Love for McIntosh ?

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
..I've seen MAC described as a mfr of "lifestyle" products...not true high end, to which I adamantly disagree

ricjor1

Oct 13, 2012
I had the opportunity to compare Mac to Bricasti, Absolare, and Jeff Rowland amps. To my ears the Mac is colored and doesn't have the midrange refinement of the others.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
In the good old days tube Macs albeit dark, colored, and somewhat muddy sounding created great atmosphere and mood for the music that's why they were so loved by Jazz lovers in the Far East. Stick an EMT, Garrard 301/401 or Thorens TD124 with SME 3012 & a vintage SPU at the front with pair of Klipsch corner horns or iconic JBL and you'll have more magic & emotion than majority of the high end systems of today. Unfortunately today's Macs have inherited nothing besides the name and industrial design from the great old ones, the new ones are made by the same people who manufacture the current Marantz, Denon, etc. for the mass market, it's just a name...

david

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
I had the opportunity to compare Mac to Bricasti, Absolare, and Jeff Rowland amps. To my ears the Mac is colored and doesn't have the midrange refinement of the others.

..well there ya go

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
In the good old days tube Macs albeit dark, colored, and somewhat muddy sounding created great atmosphere and mood for the music that's why they were so loved by Jazz lovers in the Far East. Stick an EMT, Garrard 301/401 or Thorens TD124 with SME 3012 & a vintage SPU at the front with pair of Klipsch corner horns or iconic JBL and you'll have more magic & emotion than majority of the high end systems of today. Unfortunately today's Macs have inherited nothing besides the name and industrial design from the great old ones, the new ones are made by the same people who manufacture the current Marantz, Denon, etc. for the mass market, it's just a name...

david

..wow...wrong...the MC601s with thermal tracking output transistors are truly state of the art. I wouldn't trade mine for any monos in their price range...

Last edited:

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
McIntosh makes some truly wonderful gear. Like anything else, balance the system of amp, preamp, speakers and source to your ears - and just enjoy. Sometimes you don't know what you had until it's gone.

16hz lover

Aug 2, 2013
Dave: You should just google Audio Aficionado, plenty of McIntosh fans there. Every forum tends to have its preferred brands/favorites.

e

Last edited:

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Never been too impressed with their stuff. Just medium quality sound in all aspects to my ears. I respect the company however. They have their own niche you might say, and as far as business models they're good for everyone involved. The gear does have a nice look to it.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
..I've seen MAC described as a mfr of "lifestyle" products...not true high end, to which I adamantly disagree

I agree with you. I have owned several McIntosh (C2200, MC2102, MC275 that I remember) and they sounded quite good - high-end status, surely. A good friend got them and has a very enjoyable sound with Wilson Watt/Puppy's.

And yes, I appreciated the great looking blue displays and meters!

However it seems to me the current products do not have the built quality of twenty years ago.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Never been too impressed with their stuff. Just medium quality sound in all aspects to my ears. I respect the company however. They have their own niche you might say, and as far as business models they're good for everyone involved. The gear does have a nice look to it.

a case of YMMV and perhaps a bit of snobbery too i daresay...

As in most any company they make from time to time "ho-hum" products and stellar ones.. The MC 601 and MC 275 to just name those 2, are world-class products ...

Mac often elicit envy: They are the brand that non-audiophiles most easily recognize as High End Audio .. Once the non-audiophile gets past the mention of Bose, next comes Mac Intosh ... Worldwide

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
Still have my McIntosh MR78 tuner....glad I purchased it.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hi Twitch. My only gripe with the various McIntosh systems I have heard comes when I'm listening, which is vaguely important to me. They do sound good and clean, no issues there. Where my issue is with their gear that I have heard is that while I do enjoy the music, I don't find myself tapping my toes whilst listening. I'm not as "involved" as I am with other gear. In no way am I knocking their sound signature, I'm just saying that it's not really for me. I prefer to realistically be immersed into the music and have the system relay a sense that the band I'm listening too is performing in front of me, not just clean music being broadcast. I hope this makes sense to you, that's the best way I can explain it.

Tom

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..

As in most any company they make from time to time "ho-hum" products and stellar ones.. The MC 601 and MC 275 to just name those 2, are world-class products ...

Mac often elicit envy: They are the brand that non-audiophiles most easily recognize as High End Audio .. Once the non-audiophile gets past the mention of Bose, next comes Mac Intosh ... Worldwide

<<The MC 601 and MC 275 to just name those 2, are world-class products ...>> ...anyone who's paid attention to the 601s would agree...thanks

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA

Well consider that I was selling some DIY PCB boards for fun, for an amplifier that in every respect sounded way better than any McIntosh gear I've personally heard... I don't know how snobby that is exactly.

I have to agree that I never toe-tap with their gear. But I think they're pretty ideal for a music-lover non-audiophile setup.

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
But I think they're pretty ideal for a music-lover non-audiophile setup.

First off, thanks for the replies gents, it gives me a sense of the overall forum ...........

to that and what I've quoted from Folsom above is what makes me laugh.............'music-lover non-audiophile', if there was ever such a ridiculous contradiction !!! I suspect what you meant was 'audio fool' ??

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
..wow...wrong...the MC601s with thermal tracking output transistors are truly state of the art. I wouldn't trade mine for any monos in their price range...

You might be right about 601's relative value I'm only going by what I heard in general sound terms of their current models.

david

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
When I was young,all the high end stores sold Mac gear. Then Audio Research came out and the high end became something else. I also remember hearing a SP3 preamp and that was very colored. I could have purchased a Mac preamp and amp but I decided on a Accuphase C200 and P300 instead...preference.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
First off, thanks for the replies gents, it gives me a sense of the overall forum ...........

to that and what I've quoted from Folsom above is what makes me laugh.............'music-lover non-audiophile', if there was ever such a ridiculous contradiction !!! I suspect what you meant was 'audio fool' ??

This is pretty insulting. Do you even know which direction electrons flow?

Maybe it's confusing to most that audiophile has taken on the meaning of people with tastes to achieve the best sound, but it has... it's not so literal anymore.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I responded with a question on an earlier thread where it was implied that 'Mac' was not held in very high regard around here....

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...e-tube-amps-but-don-t-try-to-copy-them/page10

So, with no replies I do wonder ................. why ?
I very much enjoyed their room at Rocky Mountain Audio Fest. See my impression and answer to your question here: http://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/rmaf-2016-mcintosh-audio.916/

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing