Has there ever been a DMC-15SS Series 2?

acousticsguru

Feb 17, 2014
Wondering as I'm watching the used market. I realize that there's been a Series 2 of the DMC-30SS, but of the DMC-15SS? Anyone know? Thanks in advance!

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

acousticsguru

Feb 17, 2014
A quick Google search found this article as well as several used listings, so it appears so.

Thanks, saw that, too, but may be an error - the term always only seems to come up in announcements. I've never seen or read anything to the extent that a Series 2 exists and what the difference would be, and in contrast to the DMC-30SS, there's never been a sales offer of a Series 2 either.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I believe you are right David, as there is no bulletin on a 15 Series 2, and there typical are. However, I have been personal witness to the same model being improved over time, as I owned two 30SS Series 2 preamps, with significant sonic improvements in later serial numbers, without easily discernible differences in the circuit. Keep that in mind as well. But best to email a dealer to be sure.

acousticsguru

Feb 17, 2014
I believe you are right David, as there is no bulletin on a 15 Series 2, and there typical are. However, I have been personal witness to the same model being improved over time, as I owned two 30SS Series 2 preamps, with significant sonic improvements in later serial numbers, without easily discernible differences in the circuit. Keep that in mind as well. But best to email a dealer to be sure.

Thanks! As you know, I've been following your threads and posts on Spectral, and to be honest, happen find this rather disconcerting.

acousticsguru

Feb 17, 2014
Finally reached someone at Spectral and they said no, there has only been one DMC-15SS, and that rumors to the extent that there may be different generations, at least on this side of the pond, may have to do with fluctuations in the respective exchange rates to European currencies.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Glad you called them; not all products improve over their lifetime, but certainly some here and there do, and that's with a lot of manufacturers. Damned if they do and damned if they don't. Sometimes, parts availability forces changes; others, design improvements; yet others, competition. Always beware of dealers offloading demo pieces, only to get the same model again.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
certainly some here and there do, and that's with a lot of manufacturers.

Here's another example that just came to mind. If you happened to have read Fremer's SAE amp review recently, in there he discusses his latest DartZeel preamp having an issue with these amps, sending it back to Switzerland and getting it back with some XLR-input modification or some such, and he makes the point of saying the model designation remaining the same. It really happens with a lot manufacturers, and in most cases, they just want to put out to market the latest and greatest - why hold onto it.

caliaripaolo

May 9, 2012
Italia
he makes the point of saying the model designation remaining the same. It really happens with a lot manufacturers, and in most cases, they just want to put out to market the latest and greatest - why hold onto it.

Yes, indeed, this indicates a poor Configuration Control process.
In most cases, the hi-end manufacturers are artisans.

acousticsguru

Feb 17, 2014
Glad you called them; not all products improve over their lifetime, but certainly some here and there do, and that's with a lot of manufacturers. Damned if they do and damned if they don't. Sometimes, parts availability forces changes; others, design improvements; yet others, competition. Always beware of dealers offloading demo pieces, only to get the same model again.

One thing I can add to this discussion, in all likelihood of relevance only to those looking for a used preamp and seeking information, is one really wants the latest and best revision of the G2 line module (the same used in the DMC-30SS Series 2 - "Generation 3" is the new one used in the DMC-30SV and 30SC), marked "Rev D" on the board. I'm not sure, however, whether there are DMC-15SS units out there with earlier G2 line modules than Rev D. Unfortunately, there's no way of telling without lifting the hood and having a look.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Good to know, David

acousticsguru

Feb 17, 2014
To avoid confusion: G2 and G3 line modules referring to what is elsewhere being referred to as the SHAA2 and SHAA3 line modules - same thing. Easier to pronounce the latter in English, probably the reason the former is the more popular designation in German-speaking parts of the world. There are pictures of the Rev A and Rev D G2/SHAA2 modules and the G3/SHAA3 in the DMC-30SV thread.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing