Nikon Suffers Huge Losses and Cancels Cameras, Crashing Stock

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Yes Nikon had to take a far more conservative approach to getting on the new Digital product gravy train--they never had the "backup" like Canon

with its vast extra mural money making offshoots--- Copiers /scanners/printers/Office equip /etc this enabled Canon to push vast sums into R&D for the Digital capture market

Where as "poor" Nikon had really only Binoculars and Electron Microscopes out side of the small Slide scanner sales to plunder for the Camera enhancement.

Still they have some plusses--their Auto focus is/was better than Canon on the Pro side-and the 800E series produced award winning Files.

I think they will still be with us:)

BruceD

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Well .. after reading the article , they only cancelled the DL line not the entire camera business... As you so well put it : "The end of an icon"

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Probably the best move they could make anyway given how good the DL's competition is from Canon, Fuji, Panasonic/Leica and Sony.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
Didn't Nikon first get into trouble via the Tsunami? I thought one of their mfg plants was to close to the nuclear accident...therefore they had to move production to China elsewhere...and quality wasn't as good...

I'm a Nikon shooter...I don't want to change brands...

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Didn't Nikon first get into trouble via the Tsunami? I thought one of their mfg plants was to close to the nuclear accident...therefore they had to move production to China elsewhere...and quality wasn't as good...

I'm a Nikon shooter...I don't want to change brands...

I had not heard about any of this. I just bought my first camera in years for sports photography of my kids: Nikon D500, 16-80 kit lens, the latest 70-200 2.8 zoom and I am contemplating the 200-500 5.6 for sailing regattas and lacrosse photos. I guess we will have to wait and see how things develop, but this news is a bit disconcerting.

jfrech

VIP/Donor
Sep 3, 2012
Austin
I had not heard about any of this. I just bought my first camera in years for sports photography of my kids: Nikon D500, 16-80 kit lens, the latest 70-200 2.8 zoom and I am contemplating the 200-500 5.6 for sailing regattas and lacrosse photos. I guess we will have to wait and see how things develop, but this news is a bit disconcerting.

Peter, that's a fantastic camera. Ditto the lens-especially the 70-200. I have a d300s, have owned it for a least 5 years, and picked up a 70-200 on sale right before your FL model came to market. I'm sure that camera will give you years of killer use and pics. Regarding the "news" above...I am not sure this really impacts Nikon's main SLR franschise...in some ways the new crop of lenses are better and cheaper...so they have evolved...

Here's a shot of Sadie with my d300s and 70-200 f2.8

JCF_3292.jpg

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I had a number of Nikons in the past, and they were very good. My brother loves his D3300 and his pictures with a 70-300 lens are incredible. I still own a simple analog N60, with which my wife has taken probably the most incredible picture of our son at the age of 1; I can't let it go, despite me having converted to Canon years ago. I hope Nikon makes it through.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Although I am a Canon owner .. I still prefer Nikon :) ... I gave a D3300 to my fiancee and this is a great camera...

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing