Spectral SDR-3000

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Oh I was serious myself about the offer

jzzmn88

Feb 14, 2017
Thank you so much for the offer guys, but I am planning on keeping this for awhile. However, I will definitely keep this in mind if I ever decide to sell in the future!

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
LOL, told ya... imagine this, we are drooling over a 25+ year old design, exactly because the design and execution transcend time! Enjoy it, you deserve it.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Congrats...those great finds make for some of the best moments in audio. Enjoy. Perhaps 2nd hand MIT? I recall that Spectral is very particular about signal cables with their amps/preamps. Do not know if that applies to their digital (i would not have thought so).

There is no need, much less requirement from Spectral, to use MIT digital cable with this unit.

jzzmn88

Feb 14, 2017
LOL, told ya... imagine this, we are drooling over a 25+ year old design, exactly because the design and execution transcend time! Enjoy it, you deserve it.

Thank you Ack! Thoroughly enjoying it. The Spectral is the most well built component I have come across in quite some time. Makes me want to pursue the whole Spectral line up now :D

View attachment SDR-3000SL.jpg

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Can you post the pic of the rear ?

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Thank you Ack! Thoroughly enjoying it. The Spectral is the most well built component I have come across in quite some time. Makes me want to pursue the whole Spectral line up now :D

Oh Jeez, not more competition please. what have I done... Here's what I love the most... you knew nothing about this unit, you read about it on the Lampizator site, you came here as a new member, got some vague advice from no one you know, the design is "old", yet you bought it, and hit bulls eye with the SL! Meantime, the rest of us are left in the dust :)

jzzmn88

Feb 14, 2017
Oh Jeez, not more competition please. what have I done... Here's what I love the most... you knew nothing about this unit, you read about it on the Lampizator site, you came here as a new member, got some vague advice from no one you know, the design is "old", yet you bought it, and hit bulls eye with the SL! Meantime, the rest of us are left in the dust :)

LOL. You don't have to worry about me when it comes to new Spectral components. No way I can afford it! Only looking at used and even then, probably will start with a preamp, then an amp later on...

In the meantime, been reading all I can on the company, the vision of Richard Fryer and design philosophy of KOJ. Amazing stuff.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Does anyone have any experience or an opinion using SDR4000s as a transport?
How do you think it compares to 3000?

No idea personally, but I can share with you what the buyer of my 3000 told me: "Exceptional transport! Can't quite get around the fact it makes such a colossal difference."

Mrdean

Mar 13, 2013
Is there a definitive way to know if a SDR-3000 is a “SL” version? I have a SDR-3000 (on the front fascia), but the box has the SL sticker (and this unit was sent to the factory a Year or so ago, but I don’t have the paperwork to know what was done). The unit is magnificent, but I would like to know exactly what I am playing with. Any help would be appreciated!

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
The faceplate would say SL, as it does on mine. No way to upgrade to SL either.

Mrdean

Mar 13, 2013
Thanks. I checked the repair notes. The unit went in for a sticking drawer back in 2014. Not sure why the box says “SL”, but the faceplate just says SDL3000. Happy nonetheless. Do you know what the difference is?

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Don't know all the details, but the 3000SL has an updated, tighter power supply and definitely a still-lower noise floor. Despite they both have a very low error correction circuit, the 3000SL does track bad CDs better. Sonically, the improvement is material, despite the fact the 3000 remains at the top of the heap after 20+ years. The problem is finding a 3000SL since so few were ever made, but it does take RBCD to analog levels with the right DAC. The VRDS mechanism is probably the same, and a modified version of the top of the three versions Esoteric made. As usual, very few details are ever published from the factory, which fuels speculation, but by looking inside their products, it's like looking at the majesty of the galaxy.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing