Herzan: Announces a new PASSIVE, more cost effective isolation solution

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
http://www.herzan.com/products/passive-vibration-control/microdamp-series.html

Herzan MicroDamp (MD) Series vibration isolators NEW

MicroDamp (MD) Series vibration isolators are an economical solution for applications requiring consistent vibration isolation performance over a broad frequency range. The MD Series consists of a highly compressed composite material encased in damped aluminum, offering significant vibration isolation performance at an affordable price.

MD Series isolators can be easily configured to individual instrument weights, offering a widely applicable solution for instruments between 8-3,600 Lbs. With no air or electricity required, the MD Series is an easy to install, maintenance-free solution that can be designed into a variety of instrument configurations.

Highlights

Affordable and efficient vibration isolation
Minimal amplitude within resonant frequency
Compact, modular form factor
Wide range of supported instrument weights
Easy to integrate into existing instrument setups
No air or electricity required
Cleanroom compatible
Light-weight and easy to install/use

The MD series often utilizes three to four isolators within a vibration isolation platform, depending on the supported instrument’s dimension profile and overall weight distribution. When paired with a damped top plate (i.e. granite, aluminum, breadboard, etc.), the MD Series becomes a complete solution for instruments requiring a stable and reliable vibration isolation platform.

To determine the correct isolator configuration for your instrument, review the MD Series models below and locate the model able to sufficiently support the weight of your instrument.

Herzan chart.jpg

Please note: the values listed above are for individual isolators only. To correctly select the relevant model for your instrument, multiply the minimum/maximum load capacities by three to determine the total minimum/maximum load capacities. Your instrument must fall within this range to receive optimal vibration isolation performance. If your instrument’s weight does not fall within this range, multiply the minimum/maximum load capacities by a larger number (>3) until your instrument falls within range.

www.herzan.com

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Good find, LL21.

It is so nice and refreshing to see non-audiophile pricing.

(I still shudder to think what an audiophile company would charge for my 1/2" of lead slab coated in heat-treated urethane and sandwiched and laminated between two 3/8" thick layers of steel "blanchard ground" to .005 flat per foot and .003 parallel per foot (total weight 200 pounds)!)

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I can only hope ppl WILL NOT follow Hertzan advice and won't place a granite slab on top of it. Things like acrylic, thick aluminium, 'tank wood' (in Keiser speak) make much better sounding shelves.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I agree. My research suggests that natural granite is not a good platform. But synthetic granite, such as Caesarstone and Silestone (granite mixed with epoxy) seem to be good in theory. Slabs of steel and lead, and laminated layers of steel or of steel and lead, also seem to be good in theory.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I agree. My research suggests that natural granite is not a good platform. But synthetic granite, such as Caesarstone and Silestone (granite mixed with epoxy) seem to be good in theory. Slabs of steel and lead, and laminated layers of steel or of steel and lead, also seem to be good in theory.

Have you considered slate? The stand of the B&W silver signature SS25 is quite heavy and inert. It is also used for turntable plinths.

Volcanic basalt should also also be an interesting material for this purpose - its vesicular structure kills any ringing.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Agreed re slate
Considering a massively inert spiked 2-tier slate stand to support Spiers And Robertson air shelf for my slate plinth tt, and Straingauge psu

jtinn

Industry Expert
Apr 20, 2010
Good find, LL21.

It is so nice and refreshing to see non-audiophile pricing.

Have you seen the Wave Kinetics A10-U8s? They are about the same price.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Have you seen the Wave Kinetics A10-U8s? They are about the same price.

Yes, Jonathan, I have. I think they are a very interesting design. I would not hesitate to try them under components.

dctom

Jan 28, 2015
Wiltshire UK
www.davidcthomas.co.uk
Have you considered slate? The stand of the B&W silver signature SS25 is quite heavy and inert. It is also used for turntable plinths.

Volcanic basalt should also also be an interesting material for this purpose - its vesicular structure kills any ringing.

I had a 30mm thick slab of slate I rested my Kuzma TT on. After a lot of listening and experimenting I noticed it created slight motor noise break through. I got in touch with Franc Kuzma and he uses a 100mm thick block of maple. I continued the conversation and established that bonding 2 dissimilar materials
creates a much "deader" sounding surface. Hence the idea of sandwiching different materials together for TT platters.

I ended up bonding the slate slab to a 30 mm slab of polished granite with resin.

The result is a non ringing, dead support weighing a not insignificant 100Kg.

It now sits on 4 air springs, I now have a silent isolated support. Kuzma XL2.jpg

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Why are there no specs for these Herzan isolation footers?

Reid.Whitney

Jun 28, 2012
Laguna Hills, CA
www.herzan.com
Why are there no specs for these Herzan isolation footers?

Hi XV-1:

Since the MicroDamp Series is a damped soft-mount, the performance is relative to the load placed upon the isolators, with greater performance achieved nearing the higher end of the load capacity range. The performance of these isolators will not match the TS Series, but they will be effective for a wide range of equipment not inherently sensitive to low-frequency vibration noise. We offer free demos if you would like to test the isolators with your equipment. The only information we need is the weight, weight distribution, and size of the equipment being supported.

Happy to answer any additional questions you may have.

- Reid from Herzan

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
I can only hope ppl WILL NOT follow Hertzan advice and won't place a granite slab on top of it. Things like acrylic, thick aluminium, 'tank wood' (in Keiser speak) make much better sounding shelves.

I'm curious why granite seems to be given a bad name for use in audio platforms. From the research I've done Granite appears to have very similar properties to Steel in terms of its density and the velocity at which sound travels thru it (See chart below).

I see mention in other posts of a similar nature that talk about "Ringing" when Granite is mentioned but its density is only slightly less of Steel so why would Steel be so much better?

I have two Slabs of Surface Plate Granite in use in my DIY Audio Rack and striking it with anything else hard or even my poor knuckle results in nothing but a dead thud. Because I'm paranoid I also have the Granite sitting atop a 6" thick block of Cork just to be safe.

pic.png

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Granite sounded horrible under my Martin Logan Summits and when I moved those slabs under components.

cjf

Nov 19, 2012
Here is my Rack for clarity sake:

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
That is interesting. I think the dissimilar materials and laminated or bonded technique seems to work well.

joaovieira

Feb 16, 2013
Brazil
Hi XV-1:

Since the MicroDamp Series is a damped soft-mount, the performance is relative to the load placed upon the isolators, with greater performance achieved nearing the higher end of the load capacity range. The performance of these isolators will not match the TS Series, but they will be effective for a wide range of equipment not inherently sensitive to low-frequency vibration noise. We offer free demos if you would like to test the isolators with your equipment. The only information we need is the weight, weight distribution, and size of the equipment being supported.

Happy to answer any additional questions you may have.

- Reid from Herzan

Hi Reid,

Would you recommend the placement under the rack shelf, or can it be used under the equipment itself?

Thank you

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Hi Reid,
They look very interesting.
I would expect that with your outfits scientific expertise you should have come up with something good and at a very competitive price. I will look forward to reading users' impressions of them.
A couple of quick points.
Is there any chance of them being at Munich this year both to hear and to buy? I could see myself being tempted to buy a set while I am there. I suspect others would be similarly inclined.
The only criticism I have of them at the moment is they don't look as attractive as the Stillpoints, at least from the photos on your site. I accept that effectiveness is more important but looks are important.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I'm curious why granite seems to be given a bad name for use in audio platforms. From the research I've done Granite appears to have very similar properties to Steel in terms of its density and the velocity at which sound travels thru it (See chart below).

I see mention in other posts of a similar nature that talk about "Ringing" when Granite is mentioned but its density is only slightly less of Steel so why would Steel be so much better?

I have two Slabs of Surface Plate Granite in use in my DIY Audio Rack and striking it with anything else hard or even my poor knuckle results in nothing but a dead thud. Because I'm paranoid I also have the Granite sitting atop a 6" thick block of Cork just to be safe.

I am no techie, but i am going to guess it has something to do with the physical properties of how steel reacts to vibration vs granite. For example, if you take a hammer to steel...it dents. If you do same to granite, it cracks. That to me says something about how vibration is being received by both substances. I think the 'ringing' element probably relates to that, and intuitively, i sense a material that cracks rather than dents/deforms is going to ring more.

That said, i believe that the DENSITY of granite could be a benefit, and when combined (as with HRS) with proper polymers and other materials in a composite 'sandwich', it certainly has met with success (imho as a big fan of the HRS M3X shelves...which i believe...but could be wrong...have granite as one part of the shelf composite).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing