Should I stay, or should I go?

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I think my last picture is a momentum of the played music, it only shows reproduced frequencies with a level of SPL.
It does not tell very much about the average accuracy ot the reproduction, but the app give you this possibility by observing the changes and graphs while playing music.
Video would be much better of course.

Oh off course my mistake , but if you play for example a 20 hz - 20 khz pink noise over your system you can do a FR measurment , you might find such a test signal on a special CD or on you tube

Last edited:

marslo

VIP/Donor
May 2, 2014
Poland
Oh off course my mistake , but if you play for example a 20 hz - 20 khz white/pink noise over your system you can do a FR measurment , you might find such a test signal on a special CD or on you tube
Ok, thank you.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
FWIW my room measures 23dB on a maplin sound meter and 33dB on my iPhone app (C weighting) when system is on min vol. 29dB and 39dB respectively when on max vol with DAC.

No music playing I hasten to add!

Yeah , quit a diff 10 db , the hearing range goes from 0 - 149 db , so > 10 % off at least, may be you can try another " weighting " on the i phone app

Last edited:

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
morricab- I wouldn't dismiss the Brinkmann Bardo or any of their DDs so easily. An analog friend has 2 original Luxman PD-444s from 1979 (as well as a refurbished Garrard 401) and says the Oasis is the only new DD he's heard that he would purchase. He has spun the Luxmans for 30+ years now without issue, so until they break he won't. My guess is having a plinth helps on the Oasis for additional stability/impact.

Marc- I've heard the Balance many times - its a great TT. My friend runs 2 Kuzma 4 Points on it w/ Transfig and Lyra carts. The Balance is also 4x the price of a Bardo of course.

The other TT to look into is the 47 Labs. They were actually the first to have counter-rotating platters, but don't have the fancy suspension like the Kronos (nor the price tag). I'm unsure if they are imported to the UK however.

Last edited:

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
According to John storyk https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmEzMYYmnyw the I phone app is about 90 % correct regarding noise level /reverberationtime as compared to the 20 K worth of equipment that he also has .
He uses it himself as well ,its coveniant off course .
But your measurment doesnt tell me much , - 77 db as refererred to what , cant you get a scale when it refers to the hearing limit of 0 db , so your room would then be about 40 db , a microfoon/speech recording studio is about 15 db ( ambient noise )

http://www.hear-it.org/Noise-noise-noise

I can measure this with my Behringer DEQ 24/96 and the calibrated microphone that I got to go with it. I just didn't bother yet in my current room.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
I did not ask about the filter, but how the measurement was carried. Is it just an weighted rumble measurement?

Probably but I have no way to know when people give a one number spec. No one is describing their test method. But the filter matters for report as it makes a big difference on the resulting S/N.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
FWIW my room measures 23dB on a maplin sound meter and 33dB on my iPhone app (C weighting) when system is on min vol. 29dB and 39dB respectively when on max vol with DAC.

No music playing I hasten to add!

That's quite good!

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
morricab- I wouldn't dismiss the Brinkmann Bardo or any of their DDs so easily. An analog friend has 2 original Luxman PD-444s from 1979 (as well as a refurbished Garrard 401) and says the Oasis is the only new DD he's heard that he would purchase. He has spun the Luxmans for 30+ years now without issue, so until they break he won't. My guess is having a plinth helps on the Oasis for additional stability/impact.

Marc- I've heard the Balance many times - its a great TT. My friend runs 2 Kuzma 4 Points on it w/ Transfig and Lyra carts, but is going to try out the new Kuzma XL just for something different. He owned the Lagrange and then Balance for well over a decade. The Balance is also 4x the price of a Bardo of course.

The other TT to look into is the 47 Labs. They were actually the first to have counter-rotating platters, but don't have the fancy suspension like the Kronos (nor the price tag). I'm unsure if they are imported to the UK however.

Oh, I am not completely dismissing it but it's rumble numbers are disappointing. It could still really sound good.

I have a friend also with a PD-444 and the its ok but not in the top echelon of classic TTs. It lacks a bit of flow.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Oh, I am not completely dismissing it but it's rumble numbers are disappointing. It could still really sound good.

I have a friend also with a PD-444 and the its ok but not in the top echelon of classic TTs. It lacks a bit of flow.

Brad - you can find rumble specs for most modern TTs that have been reviewed in Hifi News. They keep this all on file over the years.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

From the Monaco turntable whitepaper:

"Rumble is tougher to quantify. It is a number given to the amount of vibration imparted to the stylus caused by the motor, belts, bearings, turntable suspension, the platter, the environment around the table, and the test record, as measured while playing a silent groove. It’s relatively easy to get a rumble number, but it is very difficult to get a number that actually means anything."

Unfortunately the full data of the Bardo is not available at AvTech, as it is an 2014 review - Paul Miller measures turntables extensively. The single number can be very misleading.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Brad - you can find rumble specs for most modern TTs that have been reviewed in Hifi News. They keep this all on file over the years.

Hey! Thanks for the tip...hadn't thought about them because Stereophile just doesn't measure TTs.

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
From the Monaco turntable whitepaper:

"Rumble is tougher to quantify. It is a number given to the amount of vibration imparted to the stylus caused by the motor, belts, bearings, turntable suspension, the platter, the environment around the table, and the test record, as measured while playing a silent groove. It’s relatively easy to get a rumble number, but it is very difficult to get a number that actually means anything."

Unfortunately the full data of the Bardo is not available at AvTech, as it is an 2014 review - Paul Miller measures turntables extensively. The single number can be very misleading.

Never said it was the end all for TTs...not even close. It is but one piece of a big puzzle.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Never said it was the end all for TTs...not even close. It is but one piece of a big puzzle.

Surely. But most of the times the problem with oversimplified or improperly documented measurements is that they manage to do more wrong than right. Rumble was known to be a particular case - standards changed and suddenly all turntables improved, japanese, american and european used different methods of measuring and/or different 0 dB levels. DIN 45544 usually only means they use the same test LP, that limited the range of the measurement. The best turntables usually were measured using alternative methods, and then it is impossible to compare them.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing