Sonner Audio speakers...

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Has anyone here heard them?

A pal of mine in Mass bought then and said they were super dynamic speakers. He drives when with SPEC class d amps which have very high voltage transistors.

http://sonneraudio.com/

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
The " dome" is actually a pierced dome , the aluminium point you see is the point of a shaft which goes through the dome .
Keeps intruders and " denters" at bay.
Most natural sounding tweeter i have heard yet

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
The " dome" is actually a pierced dome , the aluminium point you see is the point of a shaft which goes through the dome .
Keeps intruders and " denters" at bay.
Most natural sounding tweeter i have heard yet
Are you familiar with the Heil AMT tweet and the Rowen LMT (linear motion tech)?
Can you compare and contrast from your perspective?

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Heard the heil air motion transformer only once or twice long time ago , sounded promising on its own , the total package it was in wasnt my cup of tea .
Havent heard the Rowen yet might go look it up .

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I dont see any specs , powerhandling is another thing dont know with such a device , my speakers need to be able to take some abuse , and live another day without damage .
having no filter in the 200 hz - 4 khz region could be something off course with a device , although this seems to cover the " mid and high freqs " , but i see no efficiency numbers no FR response graphs and what not , probably only for use in their own designs .

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Regarding AMT : 1 A.M.T. mid range - tweeter 650 - 23000 Hz which is great with one device off course , but things that do mid range good are usually bigger in size with more mass so not suited for tw/high freqs and vice versa , " generally speaking "

with woofer : 28-23000 Hz +- 5 dB ???, firstly there is no graph and no smooth factor /octave +- 5 db is a lot , mine are +- 1,5 db 400 hz 13 khz , 1/6 octave smoothfactor ( above that doesnt happen a lot in music ) my hearing goes to 17 khz

Last edited:

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
AMTs are very fast, so woofer is a challenge in design to keep up.

wisnon

Dec 12, 2011
Regarding AMT : 1 A.M.T. mid range - tweeter 650 - 23000 Hz which is great with one device off course , but things that do mid range good are usually bigger in size with more mass so not suited for tw/high freqs and vice versa , " generally speaking "

with woofer : 28-23000 Hz +- 5 dB ???, firstly there is no graph and no smooth factor /octave +- 5 db is a lot , mine are +- 1,5 db 400 hz 13 khz , 1/6 octave smoothfactor ( above that doesnt happen a lot in music ) my hearing goes to 17 khz

The Big Heil driver apparently has significant energy down to about 400hz, so 650hz X-over with 12db slope works well for the Kithara with a 10 inch up-firing woofer (ported on the bottom). That Heil driver unfolded is roughly equivalent to an 8inch dynamic driver in surface area, but Much faster due to the accordian action an very light mass. Voice is incredible with the Heil, very natural sounding to me. Very linear specs for the Heil driver.

The Kithara (2 way) is 94db efficient.

DSkip

Industry Expert
Aug 26, 2013
Arlington, TX
www.audiothesis.com
I currently have a pair in house and they are nice speakers. The room I currently have them in is too large, but they are able to project a very wide soundstage with a clean sound. I will be moving them to another, smaller room soon.

I do think these speakers like a good amount of power. The Triode Corporation KT-88 made them sound good, but the North Star Design Blue Diamond Integrated does much better pushing them with 170 watts.

Gunny and I spent an hour or so on the phone just talking audio when we first connected. This is a guy who loves music and wants to share that passion.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Has anyone here heard them?

A pal of mine in Mass bought then and said they were super dynamic speakers. He drives when with SPEC class d amps which have very high voltage transistors.

http://sonneraudio.com/
I have heard them in three shows:

LA Audio show: http://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/la-audio-show-2017-day-2.1699/#post-42496
AXPONA 2017: http://audiosciencereview.com/forum...logies-pass-labs-abbingdon-music-search.1554/
RMAF 2016: http://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/rmaf-2016-sonner-audio.800/

DSkip

Industry Expert
Aug 26, 2013
Arlington, TX
www.audiothesis.com
I've had these speakers in my possession for a few months now. On Friday I received my first shipment of MastersounD amplifiers and couldn't wait to get the Allegro Unum paired up with them. What I was greeted with was something I wasn't expecting. Gunny has shared his love of SET with me, especially the 845. It was immediately apparent that these speakers are made to shine on such amplifiers.

These speakers throw out a very believable soundstage that is much bigger than the speaker appears capable of. They are currently in a 20'x17'x10' room and do a great job filling it with believable sound. I was so impressed that I have signed up to be a dealer for them as well.

For reference, the screen is a 92" screen.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing