MB Thread Comment

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
Again, nobody has ever claimed MB should give up proprietary information. But when they make specific statements like:

"the musical signal will be affected when the electrons collide with the dielectric’s “free radical” electrons."

we would like to have them backed up with some scientific data, i.e. measurements. Otherwise it's just marketing bluster.

This does not require divulging proprietary information.

Your the one who says it wouldn't divulge proprietary information. MasterBuilt says different.

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
Leif, no disrespect to you, or anyone else on this thread, but I find it somewhat jarring that the marketing dept got involved, and on the basis of this parallel thread and your continued correspondence, remain involved
I even have issues when a chief designer or engineer of a brand chimes in, but as long as it's to kind of address qs or provide constructive information, and is within strict limits, it's a lot less controversial than marketeers putting the party line
This is not a personal criticism, just a very specific thing in this thread I haven't seen in any others, and allied w retracted claims, just sits poorly w me

No disrespect taken nor do I mean any disrespect to any of the people here at WBF.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Again, nobody has ever claimed MB should give up proprietary information. But when they make specific statements like:

"the musical signal will be affected when the electrons collide with the dielectric’s “free radical” electrons."

we would like to have them backed up with some scientific data, i.e. measurements. Otherwise it's just marketing bluster.

This does not require divulging proprietary information.

Al. M,

You are a scientist. Perhaps you can explain people what is a dielectric, what are "free radicals" and why the sentence as written is deeply wrong and meaningless in all senses. Asking for scientific data to backup what looks a poor nonsense from a marketing guy will not lead us anyway. Just MHO.

Last edited:

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
I think if MB gave the correct information over half would still take issue and not believe it.:D

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Why is it so complicated for people to understand this???

MB never claimed it was the exact same material used for CERN!!! It was developed during that time and is a variation. MB never claimed that the formula used for the Ultra cable was a "Super Conductor." It was to give insight on how the formulation was developed. Apparently it was written poorly on the website and it was removed. It is proprietary and it will remain that way.

In the highlighted sentence, you explicitly say MB never claimed that the formula used was a super conductor. Now take a look at this post from Amir http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...h-Other-Cables&p=413108&viewfull=1#post413108 quoting the original MB text:

Whatever this cable does, is not what its manufacturer thinks it does. This is what they say:

"The new Ultra Extreme alloy was developed during a contract with CERN to provide a “super conductivity” cable with close-to-zero resistance and/or signal loss; this alloy was used in the Large Hadron Collider."

Back then, I saw the exact same text as well on the website, it was later taken down, and the rest is history. Clearly, the claim was indeed about a super conductor, and apparently the same alloy used in the LHC. You are now refuting all this in an attempt to deflect, and you attempt to attribute the whole thing to the original MB language being "written poorly". Worse, you accuse those who call you on it. Fine, so be it, but you cannot tell me that "MB never claimed that the formula used for the Ultra cable was a "Super Conductor.""

Having settled that, I also saw recent language about free radicals, etc. This misinformation - aka Fake News, aka "hype" - in the technical claims is the ONE and ONLY reason this firestorm erupted, and will continue to burn until you give up on the obfuscation and deflection - it simply fuels more of it. From my perspective, MB and its representatives have been solely responsible for this mess, which has led to misunderstandings among folks, and accusations flying all around.

If you want to keep going, my armor is on. But I suggest we stop right here, and I hope you will reflect on what's transpired and do the right thing, at least from now on.

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
In the highlighted sentence, you explicitly say MB never claimed that the formula used was a super conductor. Now take a look at this post from Amir http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showt...h-Other-Cables&p=413108&viewfull=1#post413108 quoting the original MB text:

Back then, I saw the exact same text as well on the website, it was later taken down, and the rest is history. Clearly, the claim was indeed about a super conductor, and apparently the same alloy used in the LHC. You are now refuting all this in an attempt to deflect, and you attempt to attribute the whole thing to the original MB language being "written poorly". Worse, you accuse those who call you on it. Fine, so be it, but you cannot tell me that "MB never claimed that the formula used for the Ultra cable was a "Super Conductor.""

Having settled that, I also saw recent language about free radicals, etc. This misinformation - aka Fake News, aka "hype" - in the technical claims is the ONE and ONLY reason this firestorm erupted, and will continue to burn until you give up on the obfuscation and deflection - it simply fuels more of it. From my perspective, MB and its representatives have been solely responsible for this mess, which has led to misunderstandings among folks, and accusations flying all around.

If you want to keep going, my armor is on. But I suggest we stop right here, and I hope you will reflect on what's transpired and do the right thing, at least from now on.

They are talking about the actual material used for the project. Not the variation used for the cables. It's a story to how the material was developed.

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
Pointless

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

You are debating mostly semantics ... It seems Leif can not write anything in this forum anymore without a lawyer and a scientist close by ...

For me it is clear that being a superconductor in Leif sentence means being used as a material with superconductor properties - having close to zero resistance. Yes, it was misleading in the original advertisement and has been corrected.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Al. M,

You are a scientist. Perhaps you can explain people what is a dielectric, what are "free radicals" and why the sentence as written is deeply wrong and meaningless in all senses. Asking for scientific data to backup what looks a poor nonsense from a marketing guy will not lead us anyway. Just MHO.

While I am a scientist, this is not my area of expertise. However, I know enough to be deeply suspicious about the claim that the electrons in the cable "interact" with the electrons of the free radicals. Really? What kind of interaction is this? And how then exactly do you measure this on the atomic/molecular level within a cable?

If MB makes such extraordinary claims then it must be willing to provide appropriate answers. I would personally be really curious what that interaction is about and how they measure that. And I'd learn something from that too.

Your the one who says it wouldn't divulge proprietary information. MasterBuilt says different.

No, Leif, this is simply not true. You can be scientifically accurate without divulging proprietary information. I work for a biotech company, and all the information on our website is scientifically accurate because the scientists write it, and check everything the marketing department wrote. But at the same time we do not divulge, for example, the exact peptide sequences against which our antibodies are raised. This is propietary.

You should tell the scientists at MB to go over the MB website and scrape everything that is either
a) inaccurate
b) they don't want to back up with data.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

Yes, MB now suffers from the "not trusted once, not trusted twice" syndrome. It's their mess, and they need to clean it up. Completely.

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com

I'm just curious to why you feel your scientific knowledge in this field is greater than the engineers of MB who are engineers for an aerospace company that hold enough patents to make your head spin?

Friday when I was contacted by one of your locals friends asking about auditioning the cables I was very excited. I wanted to see if he had the same results of so many others that have put MB cables in their system. Now, I have no desire what so ever to do this anymore. I'm very pleased to know how the owners of MB cables feel it has transformed their systems.

I'm officially done with this thread.

Happy listening

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
Yes, MB now suffers from the "not trusted once, not trusted twice" syndrome. It's their mess, and they need to clean it up. Completely.

For your information I've been contacted by many dealers and distributors because of the thread wanting to try the cables. We will be just fine.
We will have the engineers take a look at the site.

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
While I am a scientist, this is not my area of expertise. However, I know enough to be deeply suspicious about the claim that the electrons in the cable "interact" with the electrons of the free radicals. Really? What kind of interaction is this? And how then exactly do you measure this on the atomic/molecular level within a cable?

If MB makes such extraordinary claims then it must be willing to provide appropriate answers. I would personally be really curious what that interaction is about and how they measure that. And I'd learn something from that too.

And I would assume so would everyone else.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
For your information I've been contacted by many dealers and distributors because of the thread wanting to try the cables. We will be just fine.
We will have the engineers take a look at the site.

Thank you, Leif.

And I am glad to hear MB have such success! If the audible results for clients are wonderful then you deserve it. Again, my and others' criticisms had nothing to do with the sound, which I cannot comment on. I'd still be curious to hear the cables.

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
pssst, hey......Al and Ack.....no one cares......at all. nada. the only one cheering you is Amir.....and he is loving it. if that is your intent then god help you. you are saving the world for no one. no one gives a crap about cable technical claims.....now or ever.

if you continue Leif should just ignore you. I can't believe he continues to try and be respectful.

go listen to some music. it's Sunday afternoon.....

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

(...)

All high-end cable manufacturers write terrible nonsenses concerning electrons and signal propagation in cables and miraculous claims. They use words in a figurative way - do not expect them to use Maxwell equations and Schrodinger. I feel as horrified as you when I go through them, but take them with some humor!

Free radicals are important in dielectrics because they can easily release and trap electrons in a random way - they only contribute to noise in normal cables. They are mostly referred in HV cables because under high electric field these electrons can act as triggers to breakdown, something that HV cable manufacturers must avoid. The subject has such importance that was and still is very deeply studied. And yes, my explanation is nor formally correct, but is the best I can do in four lines.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
All high-end cable manufacturers write terrible nonsenses concerning electrons and signal propagation in cables and miraculous claims. They use words in a figurative way - do not expect them to use Maxwell equations and Schrodinger. I feel as horrified as you when I go through them, but take them with some humor!

Free radicals are important in dielectrics because they can easily release and trap electrons in a random way - they only contribute to noise in normal cables. They are mostly referred in HV cables because under high electric field these electrons can act as triggers to breakdown, something that HV cable manufacturers must avoid. The subject has such importance that was and still is very deeply studied. And yes, my explanation is nor formally correct, but is the best I can do in four lines.

Thanks, Micro.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
pssst, hey......Al and Ack.....no one cares......at all. nada. the only one cheering you is Amir.....and he is loving it. if that is your intent then god help you. you are saving the world for no one. no one gives a crap about cable technical claims.....now or ever.

if you continue Leif should just ignore you. I can't believe he continues to try and be respectful.

go listen to some music. it's Sunday afternoon.....

I don't know about you, but I for one am kind of fed up with so many individuals trying to pull one over the a'phile consumer! I happen to think if a company, or company rep, comes to a forum and tries to expound a bunch of 'BS' and call it "proprietary science" when called out by those with some scientific knowledge, then I see no reason why we should not call into question that companies way of doing business. Mike, how many times have we ( a'philes) been asked to buy into this or that pseudo science that no one else understands( Except the manufacturer) and not to worry about opening up our wallet to do it? How much gullibility are we expected to exhibit in order for these same individuals/companies to feel gratified? Personally, I happen to think it is somewhat "insulting to one's intelligence" that so many manufacturer's have taken this exact tact in the past. Now, as to "Master Built" -- well I think their original comparison to and verbiage of Super Conductor's was ( IF we give them the benefit of the doubt) an unfortunate mistake. But, I applaud the right of Al M and Ack to question them just the way they have and are doing.
Oh, one of my local a'phile friends would like to know why the cables are called "Master Built" and not " Neophyte Built" or " Beginner Built"....I told him no one cares:D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing